Who is fishing tomorrow and for what ?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
to be fair Mick - they're not the paper packet ones, but the blue label plastic packets of 50.
ie. they're not the re-released version in coloured packs from about 1990 that had odd sizes (19,21,23) ... when they also did a micro-barbed 90342.

I found a load in an old cabinet in a tackle shop at that time and bought the lot - but the chub around here outgrew them so they've been in store unused for 25 years or so!
The 22s are great - don't blunt easily. The 20s are a bit more variable.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
to be fair Mick - they're not the paper packet ones, but the blue label plastic packets of 50.
ie. they're not the re-released version in coloured packs from about 1990 that had odd sizes (19,21,23) ... when they also did a micro-barbed 90342.

I found a load in an old cabinet in a tackle shop at that time and bought the lot - but the chub around here outgrew them so they've been in store unused for 25 years or so!
The 22s are great - don't blunt easily. The 20s are a bit more variable.
I'm not envious .... Honest. Grrrrrrrr. ?. Just don't tell me or Ukzero1 where you live or we will be paying you a visit. ????

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
First time I've used them myself! They're quite small for Dendros so I was using two on a size 12 hook. Not sure if they were more or less effective than usual Dendros but I will be trying them again! I had the decision to either go on 'the weir' or get up early and go to the Severn, but decided the Severn is probably still fishing too hard, and I'd never get out of bed today if I did, at least you have had some Barbel already this season haven't you @tipitinmick ?

'Luckily' my job this morning moved to this afternoon and all my jobs from Thursday and Friday to later today, so I have a very busy afternoon and then hopefully Friday off which might be a chance for me to get out on the Severn again!
I have mate but, it's not my best start to the whiskers season. I may start and try the Yorkshire rivers from Friday. I just need to learn how to sing like Wise Owl as this is what attracts Barbel into his swim. The soft sweet tone of Wise Owl's voice that Barbel can't resist. ???

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I'm not envious .... Honest. Grrrrrrrr. ?. Just don't tell me or Ukzero1 where you live or we will be paying you a visit. ????
I'm hanging on to them in the hope of a chub revival on the main match rivers!
I'm a bit too young to remember the start of the chub explosion - when the target chub were around 12oz to a pound (ref Clive Smith's catches at Evesham). When I started it was more like 1.5 pounds average or bigger.
For a long time now, on the waters that I fish, a good proportion of the chub are over 3 .... or you get the barrels up to around 3 or 4 oz. Nothing much inbetween. With increased weed growth I don't think that is 90340 country. I view them as really only a maggot for chub hook. I prefer other patterns for caster and roach & dace.

There's been a few encouraging signs in the last couple of years - I've had a few frames with mainly sub pound chub - but they seem to be on odd pegs rather than widespread.

JayD

I was hoping to get off tomorrow, now that my back has eased off, (fingers crossed). I ordered my membership books from two clubs last week, and payed by credit card via their own paypal accounts. I received notification from paypal that the payment was successful, but haven't, as yet heard anything from either club. It's the first time I've joined a club this way. I know that the post has been a bit erratic of late and I wasn't expecting my books to arrive so soon. I did however expect an email acknowledging my application, and maybe with the membership number as proof that I have paid. Whenever I've joined a club via a tackle shop, or got my licence from the post office, I've always got a receipt to tide me over until the book arrived later. Does anyone know if this is normally the case, or am I expecting too much from the clubs in question?

Great chub Zerkalo, was hoping for something similar tomorrow, and I'd never heard of green dendras either. I've dug up loads of worms from the garden this year, and some have been oddly coloured. I had to google them to see what they were, and was surprised to find just how many different worms are native to the UK. I think we anglers use more than the half dozen or so types than we think we do.

But does it matter as long as the fish like them?

John.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
fished a match on club water today first one in over 20 years started on pole down edge after feeding micro pellets and groundbait down other edge caught few perch then caught a few ide fishing shallow catching on worm and red maggot tried pellet but no bites ended up with 3lb 12oz not in top 10
12lb won it think 11 then 7lb was slow fishing rain showers didn't finish last so was happy
will have to try different grounbait to see what works best

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@DAMFLASK CHRIS well done on fishing your first match mate sounds like it was a hard day with 12lb winning, I've yet to fish my first match, was going to but dates all wrong and worked that weekend was glad as had a couple ringers in the mix, they were 1,2 respectively, but according to reports it also fished hard for the river. But congrats on your first outing next time you frame I'm sure.