Whitesprings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSam

Had a good day today on the Match Lake caught about 60 Carp upto 7lb & 30 Bream and scimmers for 160lb.
By the way how long have the Bream been jumping out of the water.

whitespringsboy

hi all

sunday the weather wasn't that kind wind and rain

however a small band from fish4wales/maggot drowners battled the elements

nick williams wrote a report which i've quoted below

Whitesprings Sunday Opens

Sunday May 27th 2007

Match Lake

Draw 9.30am Fish 11am - 4pm

Today with the bad weather forecast was always likely to be a low turnout affair. Well on arriving at Whitesprings with Keith, Brian, Ryan & Calvin just before 9am there were only two cars in the car park. With myself not fishing and resting my bad back and not wanting to agrevate it with cold wind and rain all day and Calvin chosing not to fish in the rain either this match would be little more than a practice session. I offered the anglers present to cancel and allow them to pleasure fish but they prefered to go ahead even with such small numbers. As an incentive Vince the owner put up a '20 Golden Peg' and so I aggreed to organise it and go ahead although if any 'Match Records' were broken they would not count due to the limited number fishing. I mention that now as you will see from the results someone came close to Andrew 'Spud' Murphy's 154lb match record today.

I selected five pegs with known form which was going to give everyone a good days fishing at least, a little compensation for braving it out in those conditions, was I ever so glad to be watching from the warmth and dry of the club house. Pegs were drawn at 9.30am, Geoff Walker drawing 'Golden Peg' 18, Brian for the second time in a row peg 13, Keith on peg 7, Tony on peg 14 and Ryan on peg 21.

From the all in Geoff found the F1's shallow at 11mtrs and took and early lead, Tony and Keith also finding fish shallow while Ryan used todays match as a learning session and persevered with the method feeder as the feeder was not one of his best methods and needed improving. Brian as always not a fan of shallow fishing turned to paste in the margins for his attack, which secured him second last match on the match lake from that peg and would do the same today.

Myself watching from the club house could see Geoff working the shallow method well and clearly leading all the other anglers, the only angler I could not see was Brian as his umbrella was obscuring my view but after a walk along the bank taking to the anglers and taking some pictures and some video of Geoff catching shallow which I will post up later it was clear Geoff was the likely winner and would be relieving Vince of the Golden Peg money for the first time in 2007.

Here are the results of the Pleasure Session / Match

Results

..Pos..Name...........................Peg...Weight
Geoff Walker..................18......121lb 8oz
Brian Bevan....................13......81lb 4oz
Tony Wale......................14......77lb
Keith Fellows...................7.......59lb 12oz
Ryan Hughes..................21.......21lb 10oz
20 Golden Peg was 18 and won by Geoff Walker

Pictures to follow later.

--------------------

Nick Williams
Jinx Series Member 2005, 2006, 2007
Team F4W 2005, 2006, 2007

edited in

there's the youth masters selection match at whitesprings early june

see thread http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/57062

Last edited:

whitespringsboy

Here's another match report written by Nick and posted on the fish4wales forum

Whitesprings Wednesday Open

Old Canal Lake

June 6th 2007

Draw 9.15am Fish 10.30am - 3pm

Conditions - Sunny, Clear Sky, Light South Westerly Breeze.

Anglers taking part = 14

The fine weather returned at last which brought more anglers out to fish once more. With the better weather expected from now on into the summer (who am I kidding) the open matches will now be spread over the different lakes and today's match being booked on the old canal. As put by John in a previous post a water that as he calls it "The Monkey Method" does not necessarily frame on.

The draw took place on time yet again, I must be getting better at this organising stuff, lol. Everyone went off to their pegs, and got ready for the all in at 10.30am. I drew peg 13 a peg noted for being nortoriously difficult to plumb up, especially on the island. Plumbing around the island took ages, the shelf being only 6" - 8" wide and dropping off into 6ft from about 2ft deep and no two places on the shelf the same place. The odd thing being I spent 80% of my set up time selecting and plumbing an island swim and then I did'nt use it once during the match.

The other two swims I chose were a down the line at 7mtrs for the bream, and a paste line in the margins 3ntrs to my left. These were to become my main attack and produce all of my fish for the day. At the all in I fed 1 pot of 'YUK' green pellet on the island with a few casters and hemp included. Down the line i fed a big pot of Hemp & Caster and in the margins two pots of feed pellet, with some hemp, caster and corn.

First put in on GOT liver 6mm hooker produced a bite and a nice skimmer about 1lb, the next put in produced the same after about 5mins and the 3rd after a similar wait produced a common carp of about 5lbs. So I decided to stay with that line and fished that for the rest of the match except for the last 20mins which i spent on the paste line and picked up two small carp around the 2lb mark. The bream line producing fish, all day at reasonable intervals, and since I could see everyone struggling to produce many carp my choice to stick with the skimmers was paying off.

At the weigh-in I was first to be weighed as we moved around the lake and put 34lb 9oz on the scales, I was quite happy with that weight and hoped to frame or at least be top 4, as we weighed more anglers in it remained the top weight giving me 1st place, with Gordon putting a respectable 31lb for 2nd and once again golden peg magnet Keith 3rd with 29lb.

During the match I heard the nasty sound of carbon breaking coming from peg 9. Brian managed to snap both butt sections when fishing 16mtrs to the island, just to add to his bad year. That's now a few top kits, a No5 and the two butts, and they used to call me the 'Pole Breaker', looks like Brian has inherited that title.

Results

..Pos..Name....................Team/Sponsor...............Peg...Weight
Nick Williams.......Fox Match GOT Baits..........13.....34lb 9oz
Gordon Furlong..............F4W.......................36.....31lb 12oz
Keith Fellowes...............F4W.......................32.....29lb 14oz
Rich Alexander...........................................22.....29lb
Andy Geirc................................................30.....23lb 14oz
John Hopkins................F4W.......................24.....22lb
Brian Bevan.................F4W........................9......20lb 2oz
Steve Davies.............................................11....19lb 9oz
Geoff Walker................F4W........................7.....19lb 8oz
Terry Windscheffel........Peters Pies..............20.....14lb 8oz (Personal Best Carp 9lb 3oz)
Tony Wale................................................26.....10lb 9oz
Ian Bosworth............................................34......7lb
Ryan Hughes............................................28......2lb 2oz
Ron Shipton..............................................5.......2lb 1oz
Golden Peg was 32 Keith Fellowes (3rd Place)

--------------------

Nick Williams
Jinx Series Member 2005, 2006, 2007
Team F4W 2005, 2006, 2007

The juniors also had a three hour match earlier in the week
read a report written by one of the youngsters

http://fish4wales.com/boards/showtopic=1667&pid=11978&st=0#entry11978

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.