Whiteacres Holiday 19th - 26th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

DryNetNick

Ive just returned from a week away at Whiteacres. It was my first trip to the infamous venue, and Id heard a lot of good things, so it was fair to say my expectations were high!

I was going with my mate who has been fishing a few times with me, but has always borrowed my gear. He said he was interested in getting into fishing a bit more seriously, so what better place to take him than Whiteacres to get him hooked!

As he only had limited gear this meant we needed a trip to the tackle shop to get him fully equipped with tackle; lucky for him it was his 21st birthday recently and he agreed with his dad that his present would be the tackle needed to get him started.

So an hour later, thanks to Dave Moody at Reids Tackle, we were ready for the big off.

We set off from Salisbury at around 12:30pm, the roads were quieter than we expected and we arrived at Whiteacres at around 3:45 to pick up the keys to our Caravan.

We decided to have a good look around all of the lakes before we wet a line, despite me champing at the bit! I was very impressed with the quality of the park overall; everything was very well maintained, clean and easy to access.

The site is HUGE, and by the time we had seen all the water it was dinner time, and boy were we hungry! Anglers are very well catered for when it comes to food, theres a costcutter store with everything you could want if you were cooking for yourself and numerous places to eat from a fish and chip shop to a quality restaurant. We grabbed supplies and dinner and headed back to the caravan for an early night, eager to start early in the morning.

Day 1 - Sunday 20th May Jennys Lake

Datafile11.jpg

We decided to start the day off on Jennys Lake (Pegs 1 & 2) as this looked to be a fairly easy lake to catch on at close range. However, it was apparent shortly into our session that things werent as they should be. Carp were crashing all over the lake and the fishing was slower than reported. My suspicions were confirmed when I spoke to another angler who had been there for the last 2 weeks the carp had started spawning! I suppose it was to be expected really, and it was in the back of my mind when I booked the holiday in December.
Oh, well I thought, no point getting disappointed, fingers crossed they wouldnt be to preoccupied!
Despite this we both caught well with Carp and Tench to around 2lb throughout the day we were satisfied with our first day of the holiday.

Datafile11.jpg

Datafile11.jpg

Day 2 Monday 21st May

Pollawyn (Pegs 7 & 8) was chosen for our second day as it looked very fishy on our walk round. The carp were crashing all over the lake, and I didnt see many caught by other anglers either, but the bream and skimmers were feeding and I had several on the pole before I noticed a few carp feeding in the margins on the surface just a few feet from me.

Datafile11.jpg

I fired a few floaters for 20 mins to get their confidence up before freelining a single dog biscuit. Within a few seconds it was sucked down by a nice common of 5lbs.

Datafile11.jpg

After a break for lunch, we decided on a change of location.

We spent the afternoon and evening on Trelawney - Pegs 5 & 6, and finally managed to connect with a few nice carp. Fishing in the margins with banded pellet and meat we bagged carp to 8lb 8oz in what proved to be a rewarding and reassuring session.

Datafile11.jpg

Datafile11.jpg

Datafile11.jpg

It was 9:30pm before we knew it and time for dinner.

Day 3 - Tuesday 22nd May

As we were happy with the previous nights fishing we returned to Trelawney (Pegs 27 & 28) for another day of quality carp that averaged 5lb - 6 lb.

Datafile11.jpg

Most were caught on banded 8mm pellet or meat close in, with a few on corn at distance.
After a short break we moved to the other side of the lake and continued to catch nice carp late into the evening.

Datafile11.jpg

Datafile11.jpg

Datafile11.jpg

Day 4 - Wednesday 23rd May

Whilst fishing Trelawney the night before I got chatting to a regular visitor at Whiteacres who told me I had to visit Bolingey. Apparently the lake is stacked full of fish, and who was I to say no! Bolingey is about 12 miles from the main Whiteacres site, but can be fished on the Whiteacres fishing pass. Its a beautiful, mature lake which offers a nice change from the busyness of Whiteacres.

Datafile11.jpg

We decided on Pegs 25 & 26 which you can access via a bridge which offers a little seclusion.

True to form, the fishing was excellent! It wasnt a fish a chuck, and you had to think about your fishing, but the results were very rewarding.

Datafile11.jpg

Datafile11.jpg

On the day, the carp were obviously spawning again, but good numbers were still willing to feed. The average size was around 3 4lb, all caught on banded pellet fished on the waggler towards the island.

Datafile11.jpg

Bu this time my mate Lesters confidence was increasing with each fish caught, and he was into a good routine. Keepnets arent allowed at Bolingey, but I would estimate a bag of around 50lb - 55lb of hard fighting carp.

Day 5- Thursday 24th May

After a good day yesterday we decided to return to Bolingey and beat yesterdays totals. We opted for the open water pegs Pegs 30 & 31 and both fished a waggler at around 25 yards. Its a deep lake and we fished in around 8 foot of water to start. Again, banded 8mm pellet worked well again, and I fed 8mm pellet with a little 4mm green swimstim.

The open water pegs seemed to produce more fish, and it was great fishing all day with a quiet spell between 12 noon 3:00pm.

Datafile11.jpg

Datafile11.jpg

Datafile11.jpg

Later in the evening the carp had moved up in the water, I switched to a stubby crystal waggler and set it up 1 foot deep. There were swirls all around my feed area as I drip fed pellets. As usual I was getting lots of liners but I just angled the rod to the side and waited for the tip to wrap around.

Datafile11.jpg

You can see from the picture how shallow I was catching.

Datafile11.jpg

The fish seemed to be of a better stamp up in the water and it was a cracking end to a great day.
I recorded every fish I caught and by the end of the day Id had 26 Carp for 72lb total bag. Definitely the best day so far, and the highlight of the holiday.

Day 6 - Friday 25th May Pats Pool

Datafile11.jpg

After a week of hectic match style fishing I felt ready to try my hand at specimen carp fishing on Pats pool. Ive never really targeted big carp, but I have a set of carp rods with baitrunners and all the kit as I usually fish for pike in the winter.

There were only a few other anglers on the 2 acre lake leaving a lot of water to fish into. We set up on the southern bank of the lake with a small island in front and a nice bay to our right. The rods were baited with double pineapple boilie (fished to the island) and the other with a cube of luncheon meat which was cast 35 yards tight to marginal reeds. I fed broken boilies and 8mm pellets over each hookbait but didnt over do the feed.

All was quiet for a few hours, and I was wondering what all this carp fishing fuss was about when shortly after the margin rod alarm beeped into action. I was soon in touch with what felt like a good carp certainly bigger than Ive hooked before! After a good fight the fish came to the surface and my heart seemed to stop beating for a few seconds until it was safely in the net.

Shaking like a leaf, it was safely unhooked on the mat before slipping it into the weigh sling. I was over the moon to see the needle slide round to settle on 18lb 8oz!!!

Datafile11.jpg

A new PB for me by over 4lb! That was it; I had done what I set out to achieve and caught a new PB and had a cracking time doing it.

Datafile11.jpg

Datafile11.jpg

Returned Safely

Throughout the day we had 5 more runs, and hooked 1 fish that I just couldnt stop running, and it eventually shed the hook. I was gutted for a while but the memories of a fantastic week and an 18lb 8oz new personal best soon put a smile back on my face.

Lester didnt manage to hook into a carp but I did let him have a photo taken holding my fish!

Datafile11.jpg

The final days fishing has slightly changed my thought on carp fishing, and although I dont think Ill ever be a total specimen head, I am certainly going to target some waters with large carp in maybe even beat my PB again this year!

To sum-up, Whiteacres has got a new regular! Its a fantastic place to fish with facilities that are second to none. Ill be back next year and with the knowledge Ive learned from my first visit Ill be hoping for and equally rewarding holiday.
As for my mate Lester, he is well and truly hooked on the sport and is already looking to add to his tackle collection.

Hope you enjoyed my report - tight lines!

bobmouse

Congrats on your pb mate lovely fish. Great report, wouldn't mind going for a week myself over the summer.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Top quality report mate, a really great read! Congrats!

payt

I still need to go to white acres myself. Looks like a cracking place. Nice report as well.

Chin

great report pal
im back off there a week on friday for my second visit of the year so far
its an awesome fishery!

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Well done mate, great report, fantastic pics, lovely fish!

Good to see this report, as Im off there this friday, June 1st, for a week!

Just hope the bank holiday weather doesnt follow me down!

quality fih mate seems alot of the places that stock carp the carp have been spawning. went to pendle view last wednesday and the carp ere spawning in that place aswell

WhipWaggler

nice report....this is a great photo..

Datafile11.asp

Skuzzlebutt

I was down there that week too. I have to write my report yet, I concur everything you say about the fishing they were slower that week. The Van Den Eynde Rover on the Thurday before that had the top weight on Jenny's being 24lb I was third on the lake with 15lb. It was really hard going.

Great report mate.

vwt4

Originally posted by Roach Basher

oh and can somebody tell me whether you can have a camper on the whiteacres site please
They used to have a site set aside for touring campers and stuff, I know they are redeveloping there, so not sure if this is still the same..

Skuzzlebutt

Originally posted by vwt4

Originally posted by Roach Basher

oh and can somebody tell me whether you can have a camper on the whiteacres site please
They used to have a site set aside for touring campers and stuff, I know they are redeveloping there, so not sure if this is still the same..

Yes mate they do, it's right at the back of the tackle shop too and you're right on the doorstep of Jenny's lake, Pollywyn and Python lakes. They have all the Electric and water hook ups there ready and bathrooms at the back of the Tackle shop.

bigfish74

nice 1 mate. i went 2 years ago and it was superb. ide love to go again but its a bit far as i live in chester.

Carp-Freeek

' Shorty '
Good there init pal :D

Peg 7 - Pollawyn! I lived on that peg for the past 2 times id been there!! down the edge on corn lol [;)]

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
spot on report and pics mate.
ive been going for last 3 years, going next friday and cant wait now

The Brattster

I fished the Maver pairs there on the Saturday and it was poor, had been quite windy so all the carp were down one end everywhere.. Some good weights but off only a few pegs..

Status
Not open for further replies.