White.

jimbo1946

Still see many poles with the number one section painted white.As any solid object,when viewed from below against a light background ,will appear black,does it really make any difference.The jury is out!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I reckon if you did a survey of all the big match winning weights over the last month, you'd find most of the winners used a normal coloured pole.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
this has been discussed so many times, who cares if it works or doesnt, if you do it and it makes you a little more confident than great! if you dont do it and you are confident than great!! IMHO its simply that just a confidence thing, i paint mine grey primer and dont think its mad any improvement but hasnt been detrimental either

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Here is a link to a test which shows what the human eye sees underwater looking up at different colored top kits

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'm not swayed one way or the other. All I will say is that on a match (local lakes) a couple of months ago, 2 were using white (or pale) top kits. 1 of them came in 8th place, the other did not weigh. 37 anglers fished that match.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
It won't matter fishing in coloured water, but might make a difference fishing in clear or near clear water.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
There are also other variables, such as daylight. Sunny, cloudy etc.

rudd

Site Supporter
Here is a link to a test which shows what the human eye sees underwater looking up at different colored top kits

Rubbish, its not what a human eye can see underwater as our eyes arnt to great when wet.
Its what a n HD camera see's from within a waterproofhousing.
We dont know howfish see things - just assume.

We do know they dont like moving shadows - no matter the colour of a pole - a shadow is cast.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
If it gets to the point when you have to eliminate shadows from a pole, do some proper fishing and use a waggler.
And I'm with @rudd on his comments.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
this was the subject of a thread a while ago and the "its my money I'll buy what I like" mob hijacked it and got snotty when no definitive proof could be shown one way or another... there's no way to prove definitively if it works, as all fish are different, and all pegs are different, and all anglers are different....

if you think it works for you.... go for it......

if you are cynical, carry on with what your're doing....

if you wanna experiment, get the tippex out...

if you wanna try summat different get on a waggler....

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Surprised no ones made a see through top kit. That will definitely catch massive amounts... of anglers :giggle:

Total

Site Supporter
@Arry .......Am finking about painting my waggler top section white! :oops::rolleyes::giggle:....Gonna test it out on my tip rod first.:love:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hasn't one of the major manufacturers just bought out a camo painted top-kit ?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I wonder what the fish make of it?
What the human race and piscine races see are two totally different things.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Browning have a camouflage kit with their new top of the range sphere. Looks dodgy to me, would need some persuading it works as suspect anyone using them would have the p!ss taken out of them!

It’s page 4 of their new catalogue Issuu reader embeds
I tried to attach a photo but was too large!?!

rufcuk

Browning have a camouflage kit with their new top of the range sphere. Looks dodgy to me, would need some persuading it works as suspect anyone using them would have the p!ss taken out of them!

It’s page 4 of their new catalogue Issuu reader embeds
I tried to attach a photo but was too large!?!

I couldn’t find it on the page it was too well disguised - if I can’t see it surely the fish cant haha

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I have both plain and as Drennan refer to them ghost tips and I can honestly say that I have never noticed any difference between them.
I was under the impression that Dennis White started this off 20 years ago painting his top threes in heron grey because he was sure there was something in it.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
If it gives you 1% of confidence then crack on