whisker, exage or mach 3xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

shish0000

Need some new match reels and I'm probably going to end up buying four of whatever I do get so which would you suggest. Do I go for the cheaper shakey or spend a bit more for the daiwa or a bit more again for the shimano?
Cheers as always

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've had a Whisker 3012 for a while with no problems, However I've been give a new front drag 035 Mach3XT to put through it's paces and have to say that I'm very impressed with it so far both in terms of quality and value for money.

shish0000

Would you say there's much of a difference in quality? I'd have a look myself but I don't think anyone near me stocks them

rob a

I have all three (well the old mach 3) but not fished with the whisker yet, will be used when the rivers open! They're all close but I would say I prefer the exage over the shakey

rod the cod

i use the shimano s and my daughter the shakey both canny reels but i prefere the shimano any day saying that mine are the older reels i dont think much of the new shimanos these days there not in the same league

Red Spike

ive used the Exage 3000 front drag and 4000 rear drag and they are quality reels for the money

PoDd

Team Daiwas or Spro Red Arcs for the shimano money.

shish0000

I'd love the red arcs but at around 90 each they're quite a way out of my price range

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
I have 2 of the shakey mach 3 xt 035's, love em to bits. My son came up from coventry for the weekend and we decided we would go fishing using my gear. I set him up a rod with one of the shakey reels on and even he commented on how good the reel felt, ultra somooth was was his exact words. I got my 2 from fishing republic 55 each..

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
The new Shakespeare front drag Mach3 Xt's are a significant improvement over the original reels.
Metal bodied now as opposed to the original graphite,with stainless steel main shaft and components. Upgraded clutch, 11 stainless steel bearings. An improved bail arm with oversized roller and supplied with 4 aluminium spools(3 shallow, 1 deep)with redesigned line clip.
I would have to say that it's now up there alongside the Whisker IMO.
The only thing it lacks in comparison is the lever operated fold down handle, but as a plus it comes with both single and double handles, at least in the larger sizes and a padded reel case that holds the reel and the 3 spare spools.[;)]

greentura

Greenie
did the same last year, got rid of all my shimano stradics and replaced them with two 2500 and two 4000 daiwa procaster x reels for less than 200. not been disappointed, many of the features of a TDR at a fraction of the cost. last ones i saw on ebay were less than 40 each.

mind you that shakey package looks good value too[;)]

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I have just got 2 exage 2500 rear drag cant complain for the price.

shish0000

Hadn't even thought about the procasters. If I can get them for 40 a pop I think they might be the new best contenders. Who was selling them for 40 tho as I can't seem to find them.
Cheers

sisco

I have 3 of the old Shakey Mach 3's in the 040 size, been using them for the last 2 years for all my method feeder and pellet wag and can't praise them high enough, they're still good as new.
If the new ones are an improvement then you won't go far wrong.

Coolnick

I'd highly recommend the Whisker 3012 having got both this and the Mach 3 040 front drag. Not seen the Mach 3 XT models tho. Best bet is to go to a shop that stocks them all and have a look for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.