whips & things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulo67

Hi there fellow Maggot drowners
I am new here and still a novice. I need advice. OK this is how it is. I am registered partially sighted, but I can still able to see the float tip and after devising some new techniques (well to me anyway) can still set up a rig with less difficulty (anyone in the same boat I will gladly tell you how I do it, It isn't ground breaking stuff) anyway my main interest is canals as I have a few good locations on the Shropshie Union which are really local.
Where I need advice is to make life easier my wife bought me a telescopic whip (5M) I purchased some ready made rigs. But I need some advice on the use of the above on canals, by the way it isn't elasticated. Anyone help

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Paul and welcome on board icon_smile.gif,

Whips are not generally elasticated but used for speed fishing on anything up to 1-1 lb depending on your line strength.

At the end of the whip you need to whip on a loop of thick line about 20lb+ and the loop size about the size of a penny, no bigger.
To this you'll then tie a rig with a line length of about 3-4 metres for a 5 metre whip.
Flick the rig out in the usual way and then fish to hand.
The whip is ideally suited for canals where you can fish the nearside shelf, need light lines and don't expect anything too big.

If your 'ready mades' aren't long enough, tie them to some thicker line to extend them before tying to the loop

Have fun,

Dave

Edited by - Dave on 14 August 2002 9:59:52 PM

norm

hi paulo

at first i thought this was going to be some sort of bondage post

there is a lot of people on here that would love your eyesight advice
eg-- geoff as he getting on a bit
trev as he either loses his glasses or brakes them
teepee as he cant spot a good pair of legs
mookie as he misses loades of bites

i think i better shut up now before i get into any more bother

welcome mate
see ya later
norm icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gif
WHO`S PEG CAN I CAST INTO?

Edited by - norm on 14 August 2002 10:38:28 PM

Del-J

' Victor '
quote:
hi paulo

at first i thought this was going to be some sort of bondage post

Norm you should have known this thread was nothing to do with bondage. If it had been then our makem friend would have been on quicker than a ferret down a rabbit hole.

By the way paulo welcome to the funny farm.

Del.

Not fishing? Then talk to your friends on MDs.

martin.

Account Locked
hi paul
first welcome to the mad MDs
second (sorry about the different opinion dave)
using a whip on canals is easy to start with id take the whip into a tackle shop & have the sall ring taken off the end & a flick tip connector put on normall about 1 /1-50 then forget about the ready made rigs as they are normally to heavy if its the type i think .
for a canal i would just use the whip at 4m ,undo the screw base &
take the top 4 sects out for use.for rigs just use ordinary canal waglerswth line from top of whip to finish at hook approx 6-12ins from where you hold it set the rig as you would an ordinary waggler set up then you just flick it out once float has cocked just dip the tip of whip under water and give a shrp twitch to sink the line.
ive found that ive never needed a 5m on any canal sometimes you may only need to use it as 3m depends on the canal.
good luck with your fishing.

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Where abouts do you live paulo. The shroppy is my local canal.

chill out go fishing

Paulo67

Yhanks for all the advice people.
I took my whip out today used at 4M with a maver all round rig. my friend was using rod & reel and a straight foward waggler setup.
He caught I didn't. I had bite but my guess was the rig was too long at about 4M long. The tackle shop suggested I have the same length of line as the whip or near enough. Martins suggestion seems great and I will try it. i guess that you have a line length of about 3/4ft.
I did get some connecters that work a treat. But what was happening was that I was getting bites but wasn't aware soon enough to strike effectively. Any more suggestions would be much appreciated.
I will try anything to improve my angling skills.
Thanx all
Paul

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Hi Paulo, if you want to fish a rig the same length as your whip use a small canal wagler like Martin said, and dont forget to sink the line between the float and the end of the whip,that will stop any surface drag or wind affecting the float/presentation, if you want to fish a top and bottom attatched float like a normal pole float which that sounds like what you were using the length of line between float and the tip of your whip needs to be about 2ft. give or take a couple of inches, because as you have found if its too long you cant hit the bites, so after you've plumbed the depth and set the float shorten the line above the float to aprox 2ft. now you've got a rig thats a lot shorter than your whip, so to get to your hook to bait and to land fish slide the whip back to where the 5/4 sections join and telescope the 4th section inside the 5th,if its still too long slide it back and telescope the3rd section into the 4&5 sections and then lift up to rebate your hook or land fish, and then just reverse the above to extend back to fish at your 5mts. thats how my son started off with the whip its surprising how easy it is when you get into the rhythm, i also elasticated it for him just incase he got a bonus fish,
(hope it all makes sense).
All the best.

p.s. let us no how you go on.

teepee.

norm

teepee
good reply
but please dont forget to add spaces, us old lads have a lot of problems reading the posts icon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gif

martin.

Account Locked
hi norm
was that your second child i just congratulated you for on the 9th or was it your first granchild as your telling teepee your such an old man

tight lines.
martin.

norm

lol martin
2nd child
just funnin and trying to wind teepee upicon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_big.gif

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
N O R M------ YA----BU**ER
h o w-----b i g-----d o-----y o u------w a n t-----t h e------s p a c e s

teepee.

norm

that

is

bettericon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gif

martin.

Account Locked
hi teepee
we know norm likes the spacing on the postings
buthe doesnt like to bigger gaps inbetween pegs as it makes him cast further to get into the next blokes swim LOL

tight lines.
martin.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Hi Martin, spot on mate, i think we'll have to make Norm use a 5m whip at the fish-ins and then he'll not be able to cast to the next swim!icon_smile_big.gif

teepee.

Polepot

Poles
Teepee

Knowing Norm I'm sure he'd find a way to bridge the biggest of spaces.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

norm

is this pick on norm day (lol)icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

its not my fault i have to help peoplpe catch the fish from there
swimicon_smile_tongue.gif

see yas later
norm

martin.

Account Locked
hi norm
no its not pick on norm day we wouldnt do that to you would we
(O/K lads lets make it a pick on norm week but dont tell him)
norm you cant use 25yds of line on a 5m whip very easy.

tight lines.
martin.

martin.

Account Locked
hi brought back to top as question has come up again

tight lines.
martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.