Whipping pole float eyes on

Pole-Fisher-90

Site Supporter
I’ve just got some RW made floats and want to whip the pole float eye on, any idea what I would use and how to go about it?

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
You can use line, some people put a coating of glue over it, I don't think it helps much, I would have ordered the floats minus the eyes and used silicone.
I have had eyes pull out before and just resealed the hole and silicone tubed the tip.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
You are no doubt right. I will though continue adding spring eyes to my carp floats purely because it gives me confidence.

It wouldn't do for us all to fish exactly the same way with the same tackle, what a boring thing that would be.

Pole-Fisher-90

Site Supporter
yeh not a fan of spring eyes must admit now hybrid eyes etc are used.
These floats are a small chianti type that takes 4 no.12 to create a slow sinking shalla rig for the tricky F1 fish.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
If they are made properly you shouldn't have a problem. I use 15mm twisted wire eyes on the pole floats I make. If the eyes are bonded to the stem before assy, after the tip is fitted, the body is slid up the stem using araldite to bond the body in place butting up against the pole tip where the eye sits and even with pliers it's difficult to pull the eye out.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
You shouldn’t need to do anything with RW floats , really top quality...for all my F1 shallow from 12” to 30” I use TBF Cults, they don’t have eyes on , just a bit of silicon on the tip 👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I thought RW made good floats ? Why the need to whip an eye on ? Surely the float won’t work as the manufacturer intended once you’ve altered them 🤔

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You shouldn’t need to do anything with RW floats , really top quality...for all my F1 shallow from 12” to 30” I use TBF Cults, they don’t have eyes on , just a bit of silicon on the tip 👍
🤣🤣🤣. We do think the same me and you ya know. Scary at times. 🤣🤣

crackatoa

Site Supporter
I thought RW made good floats ? Why the need to whip an eye on ? Surely the float won’t work as the manufacturer intended once you’ve altered them 🤔
They do. I've not seen better. No need to modify them in any way. it will only ruin them.
As for spring eyes, Maesknoll nailed it, they belong in the bin.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
They do. I've not seen better. No need to modify them in any way. it will only ruin them.
As for spring eyes, Maesknoll nailed it, they belong in the bin.
The early ‘ singular’ spring eyes broke your line after a couple of fish. They were like sodding razor blades. The Ones used by Drennan are much better but, like you crac I prefer a proper side eye.

richox12

I don't know why you'd whip an eye. Surely for fine floats it alters weight and balance ? Double coiled spring eyes are perfect. They don't trap line, nothing wrong with them at all.

richox12

If they are made properly you shouldn't have a problem. I use 15mm twisted wire eyes on the pole floats I make. If the eyes are bonded to the stem before assy, after the tip is fitted, the body is slid up the stem using araldite to bond the body in place butting up against the pole tip where the eye sits and even with pliers it's difficult to pull the eye out.
If I've got it right you assemble tip to stem, bond eye to stem, slide body up stem to butt against eye.

How are you bonding your eyes ? Are they simple angles SS eyes ? Or double twisted ?