Whip system

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I have a 1980s Shahespear superteam and it is still going strong. Plus a daiwa sr2 whip. The shakey is my go to small fish whip and the daiwa I fish in the margins for small carp with. If you can get either on fleabay you wouldnt be disappointed. Both are system whips too
and that older shaky super team is another one in my quiver ... my choice for flicktip and when fishing at 4 or 5 m on the Warks Avon or Great Ouse.

for Wye style long whip 7-9m, I prefer my Daiwa Tournament Pro whip.

lp1886

Well the newer shaky superteam is the stiffest of my 3 system whips, it’s the only one I use for short lining.
and Yes it’s strong as well.
Yeah it is the newer model, although not quite strong enough to take the weight of a fat angler...as my top 2‘s found out when I fell on them!!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ive been pondering the reply to this, So this is just my view of whips

if your going to fish shortish, up to around 4 mtrs, the best way of going is to buy a set of whips, some start at 2.5, but in the sets Ive got the shortest is 3mtrs (10ft) and go, 3.5, 4.0. mtrs, cheapish whips, from daiwa, from the speed whip range, perfectly capable tele whips for short range fishing to hand for the bits, set up all three and chase the fish out

after that size-length, Ive got a Daiwa tourney whip system, two whole whips plus extra sections and tips that I use more often than not with elasticated 1's and 2's, this will take up to NG white in it, though that is just through the no2, with no bother

the rest of the laccies are either NG teal, or NG dark blue,

what I do, is set up the whips from 4 sections onwards with a matching laccy, if that proves wrong on the day, its not too much trouble to switch to a heavier or lighter laccie, by just swapping the rigs

out of all the whips Ive owned the Tourney has proved the best,

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Just a little update, my whip fund has just been slashed to zero as missus just lost her job thanks to covid 19, not only has this stopped me fishing at the mo but now plundered my new kit fund very sad days. Just glad living in deepest dorset we have been lucky with infections, hope all the members stay safe.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Please forgive me. I thought for years I had a superteam whip system. I saw a picture of one on line and thought, that's not what I have. So I toddled into the garage this morning and I have a 6m OT whip system. It is even slimmer than what I remembered but not a superteam. I put my hands up. Sorry.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
That is completely understandable I thought after 20 years my old rods n reels box would of been ok how wrong could I be I've started from nearly scratch, only some of my floats have survived and that's cos I refuse to bin stick floats even if there to light for the depth of water. Might have to start a new topic but line when did diameter rather B S ( breaking strain) become a thing some .15 is 3lb while other .18 is 3lb I'm still trying to find a line I'm happy with for the balance B S vs diameter the choice is just bonkers. Rant over.

solwood

Site Supporter
If l pop down to MF. do you want me to let you know and bring both the whip and margin ?
Of course when we are allowed and of course if they are open to members.
@Tinca Steve that would e excellent leading to expensive

Also happy to show you the salgasson stretch of the Wey

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I would be happy to explore new waters with a guide sounds great, disappointed we were still 3 weeks away from freedom, all winter waiting for the weather to be kind, at this rate river will be dry by the time we are allowed on it. But hay ho we never happy.

solwood

Site Supporter
Agreed, I can show you the two access points and some good swims close to both, one a whip swim and the other that works with a 8/9m pole so ideal

Finely saw a kingfisher there during lockdown as it's part of my health walk!

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Agreed, I can show you the two access points and some good swims close to both, one a whip swim and the other that works with a 8/9m pole so ideal

Finely saw a kingfisher there during lockdown as it's part of my health walk!
Do you have to walk to get there or do you drive at this time when unnecessary car journeys are banned ?

solwood

Site Supporter
Lucky Its walking distance for me, there and back in 60 mins.!

I am bailiff for that stretch so get to see the river, check no one is poaching and get exercise.

Its public access so no gates etc.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
So frustrating as I can walk to the river here, only thing stopping me is closed season, would be fishing places like shearwater or other big still waters or our own little muddy puddles if could not be bothered to travel or buy day tickets.

solwood

Site Supporter
Banning fishing is the correct thing to do, I suspect we may be able to enjoy the 16th June or maybe not

Either way Steve I look forward to meeting you at some point this year and catch a nice bar of gold!

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Banning fishing is the correct thing to do, I suspect we may be able to enjoy the 16th June or maybe not

Either way Steve I look forward to meeting you at some point this year and catch a nice bar of gold!
Nope it's got to be green and red eyed ???

powerpack

Good morning I've been looking about for a whip but alas with lockdown can't actually see any, I've been concidering the middy k800, cadence cp200 or a daiwa slr3 I think it's called, anyone got any of these or offer a comparison I've handled the cadence just the 5m Tele puts me off a bit as would like to use it shorter sometimes, many thanks