Whip system

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Good morning I've been looking about for a whip but alas with lockdown can't actually see any, I've been concidering the middy k800, cadence cp200 or a daiwa slr3 I think it's called, anyone got any of these or offer a comparison I've handled the cadence just the 5m Tele puts me off a bit as would like to use it shorter sometimes, many thanks

solwood

Site Supporter
Remember you can remove tele sections just a bit more tricky!

Cadence had(have?) A good deal on these

Just looked up the middy, rated to 20 elastic and a flick tip option too weird combo!

Weight at 399g is pretty heavy that's over 50% more than an acolyte

I think with browning releasing the sphere there may be some people upgrading so you might get a bargain

I like the acolyte but wished I had saved up for a while to get the trilogy for its versatility!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I had the daiwa SR whip I think it was, ok at 6metres , then was heavy at 7 and 8 metres. It had flick tip and hollow tip for elastics.
Bought it off a mate ,used it twice and sold it on.
Held the Cadence, just to many tele sections.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Just looked up the middy, rated to 20 elastic and a flick tip option too weird combo!

Weight at 399g is pretty heavy that's over 50% more than an acolyte
But does the acolyte take a 20's elastic ?
If it did it might weigh the same might it not.

I bought the Tricast + 2 extensions due to the low weight, and it's a great bit of kit. Same as the Trilogy margin pole low weight and strong enough for an idiot like me to use .

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I’ve had system whips since the late 80s ... I own and use 3 different ones. In all that time i can count on one hand the number of times that I’ve used additional sections to chase a shoal or play a fish ... which is the main argument for take apart. So wouldn’t hold that against the cadence.
If I need to chase a shoal then I would have multiple whips set up at different lengths.
However, if you also want to use it as a short-lining pole alternative then you really want take apart below the top 3m.
But only one of my 3 system whips is really stiff enough to do that job well.

fasteddy

But does the acolyte take a 20's elastic ?
If it did it might weigh the same might it not.

I bought the Tricast + 2 extensions due to the low weight, and it's a great bit of kit. Same as the Trilogy margin pole low weight and strong enough for an idiot like me to use .
Why on earth would anyone buy a whip that takes 20 elastic?
Whips are designed to have flick tips, to catch small fish.

JayBee

Site Supporter
Well, in my humble opinion the CP200 is great value at the current offer price (£250 - 20%).
Most suited to river or large sillwater use @ 5M +, but it is a 9M. whip for £200!.

The Daiwa ZR 800 is OK up to 6M., usable at 7M, not good at 8M, but if you need a take apart whip for mostly fishing 6M. to hand or less, a good used one is worth considering as now discontinued.

The most versatile, affordable whip I have is the 8M. Acolyte, bought with a 15% off voucher, nicest balance , will do just about eveything one could expect a whip to do.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Reread post #2 . My response is due to what @solwood put up. My tricast whip goes to 10 or 12, can't remember but no way would l use that strong an elastic.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Forgot to put that l use the elasticated tops like a silvers pole right up to the 9m extension.

solwood

Site Supporter
@Tinca Steve agreed I was commenting as I would have thought the action you need in a whip is rather different to that needed by a margin pole and the need for arms of popeye

Looking forward to marsh farm opening post lockdown as interested in both those tricast poles

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
If l pop down to MF. do you want me to let you know and bring both the whip and margin ?
Of course when we are allowed and of course if they are open to members.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I looked at system whips about a year ago and to be honest the middy and the Daiwa zr look to be pretty much the same whip and both are ok up to about 6m then it just all goes wrong, tip heavy and sloppy, you have to go up a level to get a decent system whip, like you I discounted the cadence for the same reason, to many telescopic section, I know you can take them off but it is more than a bit of a faff if you are already fishing. The Acolyte and Daiwa airity are very similar in action and price when you take into account the extras you get with the Daiwa and the fact you can normally get some discount with Daiwa kit. But for me the winner by a country mile was the Tri-cast much more versatile, stiff, very light and very strong. Since I bought mine Tri-cast have brought out the excellence which is also supposed to be very good and Daiwa have brought out the Conniesour which seems to fall between the SR and the Airity, I have not seen either of these so can't really comment on them

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Afternoon gents and amazed by the excellent response, just woke up from my night shift I've read your reply and it sort of follows what I was thinking, but there is really is no substitute like a test wiggle, and just a bit more information as to my need I'm trying to avoid buying a pole, I've returned to fishing after a 20 and a bit year (25) im not match fishing yet ! As i need to improve alot, things have moved on a lot but some remain the same. So why a long whip system the stretch of river I'm fishing is way deeper than the water of my youth waggler difficult at 10ft + deep slider ok but its narrow with tight swims casting and just general manovering a long rod rig not easy, I'm going to find those pesky fish and catch a monster roach one to beat my pb 2lb 4oz. This is my challenge. Cheers for the input guys seems I need to save my penny's and doubble my investment or do the long pole properly and stop being a woosee.

stickfloat1

have a look at the Preston Response, lovely bit of kit, and at 8 meters can be used as a short silverfish pole.

lp1886

I didnt think long whips were meant to be mega stiff?! Swinging in 10oz fish regularly when 7/8 metres to hand requires a strong tool. I’ve got a shaky superteam which isn’t light but my god it’s strong...can barely squeeze the sections out of shape. Couple in the classifieds for sale.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I did see those for sale but the chap is near Liverpool and I'm on the soutcoast, so kind of made the decision for me cheers

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I have a 1980s Shahespear superteam and it is still going strong. Plus a daiwa sr2 whip. The shakey is my go to small fish whip and the daiwa I fish in the margins for small carp with. If you can get either on fleabay you wouldnt be disappointed. Both are system whips too

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I must admit to knowing nothing about whips (the fishing type) when would you use one instead of a pole?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I didnt think long whips were meant to be mega stiff?! Swinging in 10oz fish regularly when 7/8 metres to hand requires a strong tool. I’ve got a shaky superteam which isn’t light but my god it’s strong...can barely squeeze the sections out of shape. Couple in the classifieds for sale.
Well the newer shaky superteam is the stiffest of my 3 system whips, it’s the only one I use for short lining.
and Yes it’s strong as well.