Whip question

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Tackle shop should have lead core leader. Could also have the fly line backing if it carries fly gear. Had mine for years, if it wears out cut a bit more off and change it.

richox12

Richox....I found it the other way around....tangles with the silicone set-up and none when I changed over to the stonfo

I found the original black ones a nightmare as they were a bit too 'chunky' and the part glued onto the tip had a pronounced edge which line caught behind. The smaller & much slimmer grey coloured ones were an improvement as the plastic was tapered and blended back to the tip nicely.

But I still prefer 2pcs silicone (either taken from the rig or with a short & stiff piece of line with knotted end left permanently attached to the tip) and the largest piece hanging over like a mini crook. The hollow braided line with a knot is also good (I had the same Shakespeare whips as other it seems).

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I found the original black ones a nightmare as they were a bit too 'chunky' and the part glued onto the tip had a pronounced edge which line caught behind. The smaller & much slimmer grey coloured ones were an improvement as the plastic was tapered and blended back to the tip nicely.

But I still prefer 2pcs silicone (either taken from the rig or with a short & stiff piece of line with knotted end left permanently attached to the tip) and the largest piece hanging over like a mini crook. The hollow braided line with a knot is also good (I had the same Shakespeare whips as other it seems).
Shakespeare whip I have is like a translucent brown, 4.5 metre telescopic , packs down to around 0.75 metre,( may be less) the sections are very short, My son had the 5 metre, which basically was telescopic 4 metre with a metre extension that could be added.

richox12

Shakespeare whip I have is like a translucent brown, 4.5 metre telescopic , packs down to around 0.75 metre,( may be less) the sections are very short, My son had the 5 metre, which basically was telescopic 4 metre with a metre extension that could be added.

That's the jobbie. I had 3 or 4 of them. Despite their short sections they weren't overly soft at all. I have no idea what I did with them !!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
That's the jobbie. I had 3 or 4 of them. Despite their short sections they weren't overly soft at all. I have no idea what I did with them !!
I still have mine, I hada couple of F1' s around 1.5lb on it by accident last year, managed to land them but the whip didnt half creak, dont know what happened to my lads, to be honest I haven't seen anything at that length that seems as good, I like how slim it it is and short length when packed away, and still got wooden stopper for the top of it.

frankg

Site Supporter

Yes, mine are the slim grey ones....work great.

2lbRoach2hand

Silverfisher - I've been a match angler in Northern Ireland since 1988. As such, we have been using the whip and more importantly the long whip probably more than any other country in Europe since about 1980! In those days it was all about big weights of "dog" roach and even bream on the whip on classic sections and it was rare or even impossible to see an Irish angler short lining at all! What we did learn then though was how to absolutely hammer fish and learn the whips capability of putting a large number of fish into your net asap! In fact, the French learned a thing or two from us! (one distant Bann Bonanza festival a few decades ago). My "go to" whip is still a Browning Black Magic II. 10. whatever meters in length and can be fished to hand at that length! I've tried messing about with flick tips etc. Ok with really small fish but the set up I go back to time and time again is this.....fit the smallest (and I mean smallest) internal PTFE bush into one of the tips, get yourself a really small stonfo bung (google them) which fits into the base of a No. 1 section....fit a small length of 10lb power gum through that section to a mini connector - job done. You will swing everything from 1 oz fish to 1lb plus fish without bumping period! I've had bream to 5lb on this set up! More recently I have had a session on the River Blackwater over here - 159 fish in 3 hours, 4oz to nearly 2lb and only 3 fish lost! All swung to hand! Shitting you not! Tip......keep your ground bait bucket on the foot platform between your legs :)

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
When i was a kid i used to watch fellas struggling to fasten line to their "roach poles", i never had that problem because i would put the loop of line in a locking snap swivel and then hook the snap onto the eye on the end clip it shut and start fishing.
Yes it was quick and easy but the bloody rattle of the snap on the eye used to drive me mad ....untill my genius grandfather came up with the idea of feeding a bit of float rubber onto the snap so it sat against the eye :)