Whip floats

RMNDIL

The two smallest size Drennan Stillwater Blue lookalikes (something Glow Tip?) are my goto floats when I need a waggler.
Larger size for 7/8m, smaller one for 4-6m. If there's a bit of wind blowing and I've got more than a couple of metres between pole tip and float I always try to get the line under the surface.

whip float.jpg

Caught hundreds of fish on this little float - hence it's rather battered appearance.

Simon
Same as. Although I have to get the black marker pen out

Silver fan 82

Something a bit different and a method which I love is using a small piece of quill or a float insert (even a matchstick) fished flat on the surface. Great fun in the warmer months when you get them boiling on the surface for your feed.
Canal greys / blues are great also as already mentioned.
Those Sensas Jimmy's look lovely @baggy. Are they available online?

baggy

Mark Saunders
Something a bit different and a method which I love is using a small piece of quill or a float insert (even a matchstick) fished flat on the surface. Great fun in the warmer months when you get them boiling on the surface for your feed.
The Jimmy’s were available last year, they are brilliant for bagging on the deck in shallow water as you can see the hold-ups on the tips.

i know some mentioned it earlier in the thread but crowquill wagglers are superb on canals, they were the go to float on the Taunton and Bridgwater canal. The canal always flowed, you used 4/5/6m whips with the light sensitive wagglers feeding up to 5 loaves of liccy bread, fishing punch on the hook

Silver fan 82

The Jimmy’s were available last year, they are brilliant for bagging on the deck in shallow water as you can see the hold-ups on the tips.

i know some mentioned it earlier in the thread but crowquill wagglers are superb on canals, they were the go to float on the Taunton and Bridgwater canal. The canal always flowed, you used 4/5/6m whips with the light sensitive wagglers feeding up to 5 loaves of liccy bread, fishing punch on the hook
They look like nice sensitive floats.
I'm planning on getting out with the whip this week sometime. I've got some rigs to tie up first.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
All sorts on there isn't there, like a look of a few of the river specials in particular.
I believe he was the original float maker before commercials and carp took over. The stainy patterns are great for the canal. They are also fully made rather than assembled. If you send him an email he will make you bespoke patterns for your needs. Also I bought some of my first kits off him to make my own. A top bloke who I had forgotten about until recently

baggy

Mark Saunders
I whip fish a lot but all my fishing is on rivers, some of which are very similar in flow and depth to the Thames
I tend to use 2 or 3 gramme wire stemmed pole floats
Don't use wagglers at all but the wire stemmed floats fished with a long tail rubber at the base of the float tends to eliminate any line tangles, I also have 2 smaller rubbers attached, one below and one above the buoyant egg so if I want to go lighter or heavier then it's a quick change, I don't use floats that have a side eye as I think they tangle too much
Wire stems might work for you, but wire stems have always been a big no-no when whip fishing. It needs to be a carbon or glass stem as it eliminates wrap over tangles when casting.

Wire stems are my go to for short lining when fishing on the bottom

baggy

Mark Saunders
If you can’t find any jimmys, these will do the job

baggy

Mark Saunders
I like the banded effect, I would imagine they are great for seeing bites on the drop or hold ups.
That’s exactly what they are for. I use float stops to trap float and shot the float with an Olivette and two no 8 droppers. Tamar isn’t about finesse fishing, it’s 0.16 to 0.12/0.10 with a 12/14 hook with a single maggot that is threaded on the hook like a caster

Silver fan 82

That’s exactly what they are for. I use float stops to trap float and shot the float with an Olivette and two no 8 droppers. Tamar isn’t about finesse fishing, it’s 0.16 to 0.12/0.10 with a 12/14 hook with a single maggot that is threaded on the hook like a caster
Sounds like my style of fishing 👍
I must invest in some olivettes.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Been doing lots of whip float perusing since I started this thread. Reckon after my next session Friday I'll need to order some more maggots so I'll bulk out that order with some floats to justify the delivery cost 😉

Almost gave my whip its first run out yesterday when I had a load of little Rudd in front of me but decided it was a bit risky with a few carp feeding so stuck to waggler