Whip floats

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Planning to have a little dabble with whip fishing again this year for I think the first time since my teens so looking to get some floats to go with the 4m whip I got recently. Used to just use little wagglers back in the day but thought I'd do it properly this time and get some actual whip style floats which are something I know next to nothing about!

Been looking at the sort of pencil style floats if that's the right sort of thing to use? The drennan AS pencils and benwick silverlite pro whips look good so be interested to hear if anyone's used them? Or if they're completely the wrong thing to use on slow flowing rivers then feel free to point me in the right direction 😅

brian carragher

Site Supporter
I whip fish a lot but all my fishing is on rivers, some of which are very similar in flow and depth to the Thames
I tend to use 2 or 3 gramme wire stemmed pole floats
Don't use wagglers at all but the wire stemmed floats fished with a long tail rubber at the base of the float tends to eliminate any line tangles, I also have 2 smaller rubbers attached, one below and one above the buoyant egg so if I want to go lighter or heavier then it's a quick change, I don't use floats that have a side eye as I think they tangle too much

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Something on my 'to do' list this summer. There have been absolutely belting nets of roach coming out the Trent, and I want me some of that!!!

brian carragher

Site Supporter
I find the better roach deeper in the river, fishing over depth with a no8 shot about 8inch from the hook but all shot bulked to get down fast past the scrap and smaller stuff
Groundbait topping up regularly but harder smaller golf ball size to get down and work on the river bed
I also use a bait dropper on a separate rod to put maggots and casters hard on the deck
If you feed loose maggots and casters then the roach tend to rise, that's when you need a shallower waggler ready set up to take advantage, once the groundbait goes in and the dropper gets used it generally brings the fish down and quite quick
Great way to catch roach though is whip fishing

RMNDIL

Thames whip fishing, lots of quick bites (as in not waiting long), no need to hold back etc = slim Pencil float. Stem is immaterial. You will not get tangles around the eyes/tips and will avoid tangles around the olivette & shot if shotted correctly and if cast/dropped in correctly. In summer on the Thames it is a devastating method.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thames whip fishing, lots of quick bites (as in not waiting long), no need to hold back etc = slim Pencil float. Stem is immaterial. You will not get tangles around the eyes/tips and will avoid tangles around the olivette & shot if shotted correctly and if cast/dropped in correctly. In summer on the Thames it is a devastating method.
Thanks that's kind of what I was thinking. I probably wouldn't use it as a good stamp roach approach initially as I like doing that on the stick and waggler and have sort of got the hang of that in the last few years so really enjoy it. But I reckon the whip could be good for when you get those days when the decent roach arent playing ball so much so you just have a few of them amongst a lot of smaller dace, chublets etc.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Whip fished a lot last year through the summer and autumn - I basically used any pole floats I had laying around (only just returned to fishing) and the one I kept going back to was a generic rugby ball shaped wire stem float carrying about 0.7g.

Used it on a lake for carp and the River Medway for roach, skimmers, dace, etc and had great success as did my young son.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Planning to have a little dabble with whip fishing again this year for I think the first time since my teens so looking to get some floats to go with the 4m whip I got recently. Used to just use little wagglers back in the day but thought I'd do it properly this time and get some actual whip style floats which are something I know next to nothing about!

Been looking at the sort of pencil style floats if that's the right sort of thing to use? The drennan AS pencils and benwick silverlite pro whips look good so be interested to hear if anyone's used them? Or if they're completely the wrong thing to use on slow flowing rivers then feel free to point me in the right direction 😅
I do quite a lot of whip fishing, traditionally I have always used rugby ball shaped floats like a colmic jolly or a Carpa Porth but I have recently bought the benwick pro range up to 3gm to use at Tamar. They are really well made and seem really strong which will be perfect for catching up to 50lb in a match.

For waggler style whip fishing you can’t beat sensas wagglers. I can’t remember what they are called but I’ll try to find a picture

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have recently bought the benwick pro range up to 3gm to use at Tamar. They are really well made and seem really strong which will be perfect for catching up to 50lb in a match
They do look pretty good. Interesting you mention the size as I was wondering about that as well. Don't think I'd need the super light ones but I guess a few in the 1-3g range would be largely sufficient 🤔

The fishing on tamar looks epic btw 😍

baggy

Mark Saunders
They do look pretty good. Interesting you mention the size as I was wondering about that as well. Don't think I'd need the super light ones but I guess a few in the 1-3g range would be largely sufficient 🤔

The fishing on tamar looks epic btw 😍
I’ve got them from 0.4 - 3G

Tamar is fantastic, I don’t fish there as much as I should (It’s only 90 mins from me but the road is a nightmare). Although feeder fishing is taking over there but the whip fishing is awesome, I have won a few matches with 40lb+ using 3-4m whips all roach with a few skimmers

Triune

Pencil floats for me. Great for strung out style on rivers and stillwaters. Use trabbucco ones or sensas. Have made some drennans up but not used them yet,look the part though.

adriang

Site Supporter
Have a look at the Dave Harrell ones, they are pretty good. In addition to the advice above, its worth getting a few 'body up' floats for the Thames and both light for strung out shotting and heavier for bulk.

Despite going against the grain (all puns intended), I had sessions where I caught better fish on hemp and tares with a bulk rather than the typical light float approach.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have a look at the Dave Harrell ones, they are pretty good. In addition to the advice above, its worth getting a few 'body up' floats for the Thames and both light for strung out shotting and heavier for bulk.

Despite going against the grain (all puns intended), I had sessions where I caught better fish on hemp and tares with a bulk rather than the typical light float approach.
Thanks will have a look. Interesting you mention bulk for hemp as I’ve done pretty well fishing that way at times as well as I often just try hemp on my maggot rig before changing to a hemp rig and at times it works well enough to not really need to change the rig.

adriang

Site Supporter
Thanks will have a look. Interesting you mention bulk for hemp as I’ve done pretty well fishing that way at times as well as I often just try hemp on my maggot rig before changing to a hemp rig and at times it works well enough to not really need to change the rig.
Yes, probably how I arrived at it also..

I am a 'tinkerer' when it comes to shotting patterns and this season I started using heavier stick floats that I've used in the past and I have found I get better control with them.

But the larger size has resulted in grouping shot more frequently, perhaps only shirt button for the final 1/2 or third, depending on the venue.

Pole and whip started in the same way.. I've tried lighter and I've tried bulk, caught on both. When fishing 'to hand', bulk can be easier to flick out if there is a bit of a breeze, and with the Thames being quite a windy river, I always seem to end up with it blowing in the wrong direction.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yes, probably how I arrived at it also..

I am a 'tinkerer' when it comes to shotting patterns and this season I started using heavier stick floats that I've used in the past and I have found I get better control with them.

But the larger size has resulted in grouping shot more frequently, perhaps only shirt button for the final 1/2 or third, depending on the venue.
Yes same I tend to use sticks bigger than the river merits to enable more flexibility in shotting and presentation.

Simon R

Site Supporter
The two smallest size Drennan Stillwater Blue lookalikes (something Glow Tip?) are my goto floats when I need a waggler.
Larger size for 7/8m, smaller one for 4-6m. If there's a bit of wind blowing and I've got more than a couple of metres between pole tip and float I always try to get the line under the surface.

whip float.jpg

Caught hundreds of fish on this little float - hence it's rather battered appearance.

Simon