Whip floats...

Hi guy's, I'm after some advice on close in (3/4 meter) whip floats of about a 1 or 1.5gram. The rig/float would be a very positive rig and wondered if anyone here could recommend some make/style please?
Thanks in advance,
Steve.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Don’t even know if you can still get them,I’m so out of touch with pole floats,but the Drennan Carbo ticks all the boxes.
Great for a positive rig and Carbon stemmed. Any Carbon stemmed float of a similar shape will do though. Whip fishing is more about speed than finesse;)

Thanks for the fast reply ukzero, especially the link for the floats on Benwick Sports. I have just purchased a few to try out.
I intend to fish 2.5 meters ish deep, with an olivette to get the bait down quickly. The fish are not hook or tackle shy (Port Talbot Dock) and speed is of the essence.
If anyone else can recommend any rigs or floats for this style I would be very grateful.
Cheers lads.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The Fladen ones are rubbish so forget them, the silverlite ones are excellent Sensas also do some good ones and Vespe do some line through the body foam rubber ones which you can use body up or body down. The ideal whip floats used to have cane stems which reduced tangles as the float followed the bulk through the air better but carbon is probably the best bet now as cane has vanished.

Cripes, so many quick answers! I thought I would be waiting a few days...lol
(Newbie)
Some research to do already.
Cheers lads.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
For speed its about getting all the little things right and being as efficient as possible I find that tackle wise the most important thng is the right length of line and the hook choice, Des Ship just did a Think Fishing episode which would be exactly this type of fishing, its not free 3.99 I think but a good watch if you have time

adriang

Site Supporter
Following on from the advice from ukzero1, I've used the smaller Drennan crystal waggers, the ones with the pointed insert tips on the whip. No idea if they still make them. Although this wasn't with much weight down the line, more for on the drop.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
I found this very good. Alex Bates on catching lots of small fish from the fenlands drains (You could also ring him and get his advice?):

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I made mine that I use for the whip, bear with at this point, not as difficult or as time consuming as it may seem.

For 1-3 ft or so fishing/speed fishing I took:

An old self cocking (weighted thick metal stem) paste float that over time has proved not ideal for paste fishing.

A packet of jigging floats (essentially just a bulbous float body with a tiny stem)

Small tin of black hammerite paint

Cut off and tidy off the cut of about 2 inch of the self cocking stem.
Drill out the hole of the jig float to just smaller than the existing hole.
Insert the stem into the jig float
Coat the stem, join and base of float with paint.

dibber.JPG

I fish it with no weight down the line, the cocking action of the float stem and the weight of the hook and bait (maggot) gives a decent and natural drop.

sjmclean

There is a good video on catch more media youtube about the Docks, I'm sure one of the guys fish to hand there. The diawa naturals or Karpa rounds would work.