Whip fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricksafc

Hi all,

I had a go at whip fishing for the first time yesterday and missed approx 70% of the bites.

I used a 3m whip and fished shallow with maggot for Roach. The only way I seemed to hook a fish was if they hooked themselves. I tried keep the line tight between the whip and float and also tried hooking the maggot in different ways to improve the hook hold.

The hook I used was a size 20 Drennan maggot and fished a single maggot.

nobby478

miserable old ....
Forget Roach, they're the quick draw artists of the piscene world.

Start on the bottom with tench.

nobby478

miserable old ....
You might also try a big lead low down, in the manner of an olivette.

The tight line twixt float and hook should give you the earliest indication of a bite.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
If it's not working you have to change something, but it's not always possible to say what from the info given.

Main changes:

Hook size (up or down)
Bait (larger smaller)
Depth (both ways)
Shotting (more bulk and strung out)
Feeding (trickle or bulk)

When you did catch, what did you get - and how big were they? The size and species should give you some ideas on what to adjust.

Ricksafc

I used a small Malman dibber with 3 no.10 shot in a bulk below the float and fished 6" deep. I started at 6" deep as I know the Roach are very shallow on this venue. If the bites slowed down, I went to 1' and strung out the shot.

I was flicking in maggots as feed and was getting a bite every chuck, but just couldn't seem to hit the bites. I targeted the Roach as if you can get them in quick enough it is possible to win a match on this venue with a bag of small Roach and the odd bonus Crucian. Although I missed a large majority of the bites I still came 4th, but can't help but think how much I could have had if I had hit the bites.

Next time I'll use a bigger hook (size 16) and try threading the maggot onto the hook, hopefully this should increase the self hooking.

fish finder

callum
try freelining, thats what i do and catch loads of roach just watch your line anmd when it twitches, strike!

Status
Not open for further replies.