Whip fishing for tench?

Jakelol

Does anyone of you whip fish for tench? I have been doing some and its a blast here in Sweden.
What kind of tackel do you use and what baits?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds like fun! What size Tench are you catching? For me I think whips are generally better for smaller fish?

Jakelol

Sounds like fun! What size Tench are you catching? For me I think whips are generally better for smaller fish?
About 1.5kg (3lb) as long as you just take it easy and dont put to much pressure on the pole most whips will do just fine. A guy buy name Lars Lennartson that has a brand called Swedbait here in Sweden (he came in 4th place at the World Fresh Water Championships in Netherlands 1983 and he has been to the Chapionships in Belgium and Findland.) said that to me when i visited him at his home/shop.

Im now using a D.A.M Real Tele Carbon 4m pole with Stroft GTM 0.14 line, Drennan Carp 7 0.5g float and Kamasan B525 #16 (no hooklength at the moment. should i use a 0.10?)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
About 1.5kg (3lb) as long as you just take it easy and dont put to much pressure on the pole most whips will do just fine. A guy buy name Lars Lennartson that has a brand called Swedbait here in Sweden (he came in 4th place at the World Fresh Water Championships in Netherlands 1983 and he has been to the Chapionships in Belgium and Findland.) said that to me when i visited him at his home/shop.

Im now using a D.A.M Real Tele Carbon 4m pole with Stroft GTM 0.14 line, Drennan Carp 7 0.5g float and Kamasan B525 #16 (no hooklength at the moment. should i use a 0.10?)
Sounds a lot of fun with fish of those size! I use Stroft GTM too... I think 0.10 would be too light for fish of that size?

Simon R

Site Supporter
Many years ago (1980s-1990s) a local lake was full of stunted tench - a 2lb fish would be considered a large one
It was also full of weed so it was impractical to use elastic as any hooked fish would just dive straight into it.

Short glass-fibre telescopic whips were all we used to use four or five metre LERC or Garbolino with a solid glass flick-tip.
End tackle would usually be short home-made peacock floats (4" of peacock quill with half a cocktail stick in either end) taking a couple of no.4 shot, 2.6lb BS Bayer Perlon straight through to either a size 20 Au Lion D'Or 1206 (for maggot) or a size 16 Mustad 90340 (for sweetcorn)

It was basically hit and lift and since most fish were no more than 8oz they'd be swung straight in
If a larger fish was hooked you hoped the flexibility of the whip would act as a shock absorber but at the same time not to be too flexible that it enabled the fish to dive into the weed. Usually it was possible to keep the fishes head up and net it,although almost every session would result in one or two fish being lost - hence why we used cheap home-made floats.

Simon

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The only way I can see you landing decent sized tench on an unelasticated whip is to bully them with overgunned tackle. Not sure it would be something I would want to do.

buygoodtackle

Neil, no need to bully them on overgunned tackle - a lot depends on the whip, I have had carp to 4lb+ on a non-elasticated 5m Chinese whip with a 0.12 hooklength to an 18 whilst fishing for roach without feeling I was not in control. European whips are slightly different and are stiffer and more like thin poles. If you look at my blog I have a couple of videos on their set-up and use, I now have Chinese whips from 3m up to 10m and my European ones have been consigned to the tackle store!

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I use my Tricast 9m whip at a local mixed fishery using 0.15 main and 0.13 hooklink. Often cop a carp to 3lb or a tinca to 4lb + ish
Bream to 2.5 lb and lots of roach and rudd. Thoroughly enjoy it when a big one turns up and just hope l can keep them away from the lilypads.

Jakelol

Thanks everyone for replying. Here in Sweden its really rare to see someone fish with a whip and it makes me happy that Im not alone haha

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Go on you tube and watch some amazing whip fishing by those from the east like Chinese etc. Jaw dropping use of the whip.

PRN-Sweden

Nerd woth a keen Interest of Learning !
Ni
Does anyone of you whip fish for tench? I have been doing some and its a blast here in Sweden.
Nice Another CountryMan ! Never heard of whip fishing ! And now i understand ,Never been Keen on Polefishing well when i was a kid +27år ago . Everytime i speak or just Think about the Issue the "Peeps" around me Goes BANANAS ! And start "Bäckmeta" - creekfishing for Juvenile Salmo Trutta for that fryingpan ... dont have bigger tench here in the North except for 1-2waters with Dwarven tincas (wont bother when im used to +4-6lbs tincas ) Someday when i grow let see +20years from now il start with the Poles again il just continue with the feeder match bolt icefishin/ismete and ofcourse flyfishin .

Going to read up on that "whip" it does sound/read of traditional polefishing ? Or am i just Stupid .

Warmest Regards
Paul Roger Nilsson

Poacher Pat Felstead

Neil, no need to bully them on overgunned tackle - a lot depends on the whip, I have had carp to 4lb+ on a non-elasticated 5m Chinese whip with a 0.12 hooklength to an 18 whilst fishing for roach without feeling I was not in control. European whips are slightly different and are stiffer and more like thin poles. If you look at my blog I have a couple of videos on their set-up and use, I now have Chinese whips from 3m up to 10m and my European ones have been consigned to the tackle store!
Genuinely interested. Are Chinese whips different? are they made with differant material etc?

buygoodtackle

If you go to the video section of my blog there are a couple of rough videos I put together to outline the differences (video is not my forte!).
If you go on the main blog and look at January 2021 there are some pictures/videos of me using the 10m whip (affectionately nicknamed the banana).

Last edited:

Jakelol

I caught this big roach on my D.A.M Real Carbon Whip 4m yesterday with no problem at all. I higly recommend those whips. They are not expensive and and not that heavy. Caught in a tiny lake here in Sweden with a 10min walk from a nearby dirt road that not many people know of.

4m whip, Drennan Carp 7 1g float, 0.2 main line and 0.14 hook length.

I was hoping for tench and i have been there at least 5-6 times and never got a tench so im starting to think that there are no tench there.

Roach.jpeg