Whip choice; 6 metres plus ?

squimp

Site Supporter
I have a 4.5m whip for silver fish and need something a bit longer....

Has anybody tried either the new Cadence 6m version or the Daiwa Conny 8m system whip ? Both currently Available at around £160. The Conny sounds appealing as it includes a spare top 3.

Any other suggestions for a decent 6m (ish) whip please.

I‘m not a match angler so I can’t justify a Tricast or top of the range Daiwa.

buygoodtackle

I have these in 3.6,4.5 and 5.4 and very pleased with them. Available in 6 &7m . They have a different action to western whips- are very soft in the tip but will bend right the way through. The 4.5 landed a 5lb pike without too many problems!

TrickyD

Site Supporter
For that price, the conny is a no brainer. The Cadence only has the one tip by the looks of it, and is only 6m at that price.Just seen CC's post, if it has a spare it's a bit better, but still only 6m.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
quick google search shows that price for the Conny only at Angling Direct with only 1 in stock.
The 9m cadence weighs less than the 8m conny, so could indicate a better product?

two questions that you could consider?
1. will you ever use elastic? If no, then there is not much benefit from an extra top kit!
2. do you need the take apart sections of a system whip? ie. will you ever "follow a shoal out" by adding sections or "short line" like fishing a long pole? If not, then a full telescopic may provide a better priced option.

squimp

Site Supporter
Thanks chaps. I hadn’t noticed the stock issue for the Conny at AD - so I’ve bought the last one.

Yes; I might use elastic for Wye style fishing so the extra top 3 will be put to use and the extra length will help there too.

nejohn

Site Supporter
For me the cadance is a non starter as personally I think it has to many telescopic sections making it much less versatile than the conny, it limits you to fishing at full length or breaking the whole kit down to remove/add sections

chubby chubber

Site Supporter
also if you have the 9mtr cadence the last two sections 7.5n 9mtr actually fit he new 6mtr so in that you basically have a take aprt 9mtr whip