Which whip?

geordiedick

Just returned to my local river, and have discovered that whip can be good for the Dace. Which would you recommend for 7m+?

Rjays 2

Depending on budget....you won't beat Tricast Trilogy or Daiwa Tournament whip system...but you wont get change from £400

jasonb

Account Locked
best value for money is the drennan acolyte and I would not bother trying to fish past 8mtrs unless your in a match and needs must.

david white

Site Supporter
Whilst not available in the majority of shops there’s the Cadence CP200 9 mt whip there’s a few videos of it in use on Cadence tv via you tube allegedly designed for fishing for dace and roach on rivers so should be right up you street ( Kojak on this forum is an ambassador for Cadence and very approachable in my experience)

solwood

Site Supporter
I have the acolyte whip and I am very impressed.

Wish I had waited I would have bought the one for sale on this very site and saved £100!!

I would check the seller still has the flick tips

nejohn

Site Supporter
Not much between the acolyte and the Daiwa and when you factor in the fact you get extra top kits with the Daiwa and also should be able to get a Daiwa at a discounted price which you won't with the Drennan then there is not much in the price between them. The Tri-cast however is a different animal altogether, much more versatile than either the drennan or the Daiwa and would be my choice if the price isn't a problem. Personally I would discount the cadence, only because it has to many telescopic sections so would make it difficult to change lengths during a session. If money was tight I would look for a secondhand Daiwa system whip they crop up on ebay often and you can usually get one for less than £120, but be careful as like all other whips they can crack easily around the joints

Kojak

Just returned to my local river, and have discovered that whip can be good for the Dace. Which would you recommend for 7m+?
The Cadence 9m is specifically designed for river fishing is lighter and stronger than the Diawa Airity
Not much between the acolyte and the Daiwa and when you factor in the fact you get extra top kits with the Daiwa and also should be able to get a Daiwa at a discounted price which you won't with the Drennan then there is not much in the price between them. The Tri-cast however is a different animal altogether, much more versatile than either the drennan or the Daiwa and would be my choice if the price isn't a problem. Personally I would discount the cadence, only because it has to many telescopic sections so would make it difficult to change lengths during a session. If money was tight I would look for a secondhand Daiwa system whip they crop up on ebay often and you can usually get one for less than £120, but be careful as like all other whips they can crack easily around the joints
Cadence CP200 has been especially designed for river fishing it’s stronger and lighter than other whips out there and the action is second to none!
The sections:
the top 5 is telescopic and some less experienced anglers do not realise the concept behind this, a telescopic Whip or Pole is far stronger and the action is far superior to any take apart version you get no flat spots and no problem with cracking around the joints?
So with that in mind it was decided that 5m telescopic is the ultimate length for most river applications other than bleak fishing, I’ve swung into hand both big 12oz Dace and Roach giving no problem whatsoever, and with the 3 long put over sections taking it up to 9m as standard it’s a fantastic tool.
The action:
With the first 5m being telescopic the action is much more progressive than a lot of whips out there and with this action it means casting floats out is a lot easier meaning lighter floats can be used, also the playing of fish with this action gives loads more control, I’ve had Chub to 3lb plus on mine and also witnessed a Barbel of 7lb landed (all with the flick tip) the idea with whip fishing is to catch fish efficiently so the ability to swing smaller fish to hand and get bigger fish under control quickly is that all important factor that is the basic principle behind whip fishing, and of course the main reason for the telescopic top 5 (giving the perfect action for that application).

Hopefully that helps you understand my thoughts on what’s important in whip fishing and of course why the Cadence whip was designed in that fashion.

For my bleak fishing at between 2 and 4 meters I use the short dedicated whips from Preston as these are designed for that specific job and are great value. ?

nejohn

Site Supporter
The Cadence 9m is specifically designed for river fishing is lighter and stronger than the Diawa Airity

Cadence CP200 has been especially designed for river fishing it’s stronger and lighter than other whips out there and the action is second to none!
The sections:
the top 5 is telescopic and some less experienced anglers do not realise the concept behind this, a telescopic Whip or Pole is far stronger and the action is far superior to any take apart version you get no flat spots and no problem with cracking around the joints?
So with that in mind it was decided that 5m telescopic is the ultimate length for most river applications other than bleak fishing, I’ve swung into hand both big 12oz Dace and Roach giving no problem whatsoever, and with the 3 long put over sections taking it up to 9m as standard it’s a fantastic tool.
The action:
With the first 5m being telescopic the action is much more progressive than a lot of whips out there and with this action it means casting floats out is a lot easier meaning lighter floats can be used, also the playing of fish with this action gives loads more control, I’ve had Chub to 3lb plus on mine and also witnessed a Barbel of 7lb landed (all with the flick tip) the idea with whip fishing is to catch fish efficiently so the ability to swing smaller fish to hand and get bigger fish under control quickly is that all important factor that is the basic principle behind whip fishing, and of course the main reason for the telescopic top 5 (giving the perfect action for that application).

Hopefully that helps you understand my thoughts on what’s important in whip fishing and of course why the Cadence whip was designed in that fashion.

For my bleak fishing at between 2 and 4 meters I use the short dedicated whips from Preston as these are designed for that specific job and are great value. ?
I think I would still take the Tri-cast, equally at home fishing rivers to hand as it is short lining on still waters, can easily be fished at any length, comes with 3 top kits is lighter than all of the others including the cadence and yes I have had chub and carp on it with absolutely no problems, I know it is more expensive but it really is a quality tool

rufcuk

They are releasing a new daiwa connoisseur whip - only 8m with no options of extensions - if it’s anything like the classic one you won’t find a finer whip - priced in low £200’s as well

solwood

Site Supporter
Nejohn, never seen a tournament or air system whip less than 300 on ebay secondhand nowhere near the 120 you suggested unless you meant the zr3 system whips

Acolyte is 280 with two tips btw Daiwa air 475 ish!

No local tricast stockist otherwise would have considered one so I could user it as a light pole too

nejohn

Site Supporter
Nejohn, never seen a tournament or air system whip less than 300 on ebay secondhand nowhere near the 120 you suggested unless you meant the zr3 system whips

Acolyte is 280 with two tips btw Daiwa air 475 ish!

No local tricast stockist otherwise would have considered one so I could user it as a light pole too
I was not talking about a secondhand air or tourney but one of the older harriers or similar, not a big fan of the zr3 unless you don't intend to fish longer than 6m
When I was looking, about this time last year I found a couple of places stocking the tourney for around £375 which wasn't a million miles away from the drennan considering you got 1 flick tip and 2 match tips , but decided to pay the extra for the Tri-cast as it really was worth the extra

solwood

Site Supporter
If I could have tried a tricast I may have paid the extra but it is still 200 more albeit with an extra top kit!

derwentboy

Site Supporter
I picked up a secondhand Tricast Trilogy XS Whip recently for 150 (but with only one topkit), I haven't used it on a river yet but it is a cracking quality piece of kit and can handle bonus fish without a problem. Probably not easy to find secondhand though..may have got lucky with that one..but if you get the chance give one a go.

jasonb

Account Locked

Out of interest what makes you say you won't get Drennan at discount?

jasonb

Account Locked
They are releasing a new daiwa connoisseur whip - only 8m with no options of extensions - if it’s anything like the classic one you won’t find a finer whip - priced in low £200’s as well

Yes looks like they realised they were loosing out to Drennan at that price point, also brought out a 17ft float rod as well...again loosing out to Drennan being the reason why

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You’ll almost never seen Drennan items advertised at a discount and I’ve never been offered more than 10% off at the til either, drennan are very keen on both protecting their margins and not de-valuing their products.

jasonb

Account Locked
You’ll almost never seen Drennan items advertised at a discount and I’ve never been offered more than 10% off at the til either, drennan are very keen on both protecting their margins and not de-valuing their products.

My local to be honest is good with me and I do well but 10% off at till ain't bad, have to remember the shop is not getting stuff cheap from Drennan like they will off other manufacturuers