Which specimen?

rudd

Site Supporter
So... following on from the what makes a specimen thread...

Which species would you most like to catch a specimen of?

the 4oz short I fell of an 8lb tench is close enough for me...
beyond that I’d have to say it’s a toss up between a 2lb roach, a 3lb grayling and a 3lb perch...
Rudd ?

Simon90

A specimen Roach, Perch or Barbel would do for me. I tend to fish specifically for these fish at different times of the year on different venues.
To actually be targeting one of these species and to catch a good sized example is very satisfying.
It's all a matter of perspective, in July I caught a Roach over 1.5lb (I didn't actually weigh it because I don't carry scales). I'm extremely happy with that fish, but being under 2lb in weight, it wouldn't be considered a specimen by most people.
In the Autumn I will be out trying to catch a nice Perch or two, if I catch anything 3lb or over I will be more than satisfied.

squimp

Site Supporter
A pound plus dace for me.

I've had big fish of most other U.K. species - but never been close with the dace.

current, manageable targets are a 3lb roach, a 7lb chub and a 10lb plus Stillwater brown trout. several of my fishing mates have had roach and chub that size - so I’m lagging a bit !

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
A pound plus dace for me.

I've had big fish of most other U.K. species - but never been close with the dace.

current, manageable targets are a 3lb roach, a 7lb chub and a 10lb plus Stillwater brown trout. several of my fishing mates have had roach and chub that size - so I’m lagging a bit !
While fishing for a specimen pike I've had a 26.5lb carp and 13lb brown trout, both bigger than my pb pike

davylad

Not really related to specimens but, I went fishing yesterday to a fairly local drain. I caught about 40 roach, but the unusual thing was, every one was almost identical, about 5 oz ish. You normally get a few bigger and certainly a few smaller ones, all caught on tares. :unsure:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not really related to specimens but, I went fishing yesterday to a fairly local drain. I caught about 40 roach, but the unusual thing was, every one was almost identical, about 5 oz ish. You normally get a few bigger and certainly a few smaller ones, all caught on tares. :unsure:

That is strange, there’s almost always a bit of variation isn’t there even if just a couple oz either side of the average ?