Which specimen?

davepellet

So... following on from the what makes a specimen thread...

Which species would you most like to catch a specimen of?

the 4oz short I fell of an 8lb tench is close enough for me...
beyond that I’d have to say it’s a toss up between a 2lb roach, a 3lb grayling and a 3lb perch...

Zerkalo

On a bit of a Barbel trip at the moment so a 10lb Barbel and that's probably the most realistic given the waters available to me although there's going to be a place I fish over winter with a chance of a close to 4lb Perch (Big Roach and Bream apparently too but they haven't showed so much for me when I fish there). And when I get back on the Crucians I want one over 3lb (sadly not true Crucians due to the presence of Carp).

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just pretty much answered that in the other thread by coincidence! But I’ll repeat again.

1lb dace, never likely current best probably 10-11oz
2lb roach, done once as barely a teenager but never at an age that I appreciated it
4lb perch, current best certainly over 3 and doable as local waters regularly do 4s
6lb chub, current best near 5.5 so maybe doable
10lb bronze bream, a good 3-4lb over my best so unlikely
20lb smoothound, current best maybe 15 definitely doable just need the time
4lb Black Bream, current best over 3 maybe doable with the time

If I had to pick one I think another 2lb roach would just about beat a 1lb dace although a 4lb perch would also push it close even if that is the most realistic one.

PJG

I would love to catch a 3lb roach - by comparison big carp (40lb +) are easy!

davylad

Believe it or believe it not, my first roach over 2lb sent the scales to dead on 3lb. This was witnessed by a couple of fellow anglers, it was caught from a large local venue that apparently used to produce plenty of this size and bigger in the 50's and 60's. I suggested making it 2lb-15oz as thought no one would believe me, but although I don't get too excited about big specimens, we did check the scales and they were cock on. We didn't have cameras with us in those days, a shame really as it was a wonderful fish.

alsur

Site Supporter
Only specimen fish I've caught was a Dace but that was over 50 years ago. I've caught reasonable sized fish of many species but since I took up match fishing nearly 50 years ago I very rarely weigh an individual fish, had a 21lb Carp last year I only Know exact weight because a carp angler offered to weigh it.

Silver fan 82

So... following on from the what makes a specimen thread...

Which species would you most like to catch a specimen of?

the 4oz short I fell of an 8lb tench is close enough for me...
beyond that I’d have to say it’s a toss up between a 2lb roach, a 3lb grayling and a 3lb perch...
100% a specimen Tench. My favourite species and for me anything over 8 - 9lb would be a dream fish. Spent quite a while trying lol!

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
The ultimate, ultimate, ultimate for me in the UK, would be a 40lb+ Atlantic Salmon.

Close second would be any 20lb+ Trout

And of course, a 4lb+ Perch.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
This is definitely a close second for me too Pete.

I'd like that one as well but next to no chance of doing a 2 let alone 3 unless you can put a lot of time into on one of those famed eastern rivers. Tells its own story that I've only ever had one rudd definitely over a pound compared to at least a couple dozen roach.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I would love a specimen Tench. I have come close with 7lbs 5oz. My only true specimen so is a 1lb 1oz Dace. I have also had 1lb and 15oz specimens. The stream I was fishing has produced five 1lb1oz specimens over the years. At the moment the most likely specimen I am likely to catch is a Perch, as there are a couple of waters down here that have big ones.

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
I seem to be obsessed with predators at the moment so a 20lb+ pike and 3lb+ perch is my dream. On my current pbs of 9lb 15 and 1lb it seems a long way away

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
relating this to the other thread on specimens - if I was minded in the speci hunting vein I'd really like to have a go at targetting the record for three of the four middleweights at the point in time that I first took notice of UK fish records (c. 1980)
refer to
scroll to historical previous records

which are
Barbel 13:12
Bream 13:8
Chub 7:6.8

I know of one club venue where I would have a decent chance of all three!

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
I’d like to catch a 30+ pike. The nearest I’ve come, so far, was a 26.8 but that was a long, long time ago!

ATTICUS FINCH

Not a specimen hunter by any stretch but,I have had a few sizable fish .
perch caught in a match of 3lb15oz
rudd and a crucian caught on the same day in two consecutive casts both tipping exactly 3lb.
so not a lot really but highly unlikely that i will ever better them.

smiffy

Site Supporter
3lb Rudd and 3lb Crucian are nothing to be sniffed at?. Fish of a lifetime for me. I have several waters with lots of smaller Rudd, fine for a days fishing, but fish that size are like rocking horse poo. I sometimes spot the odd big,loner,Rudd on my walks but they soon skulk off. Not seen a 3lb fish though.
A venue with Crucians in would be nice. Most of them seem to be goldfish or F1’s. Typically, Tench sit where Crucians are likely to be so at least I can catch me some of them.