Which side do you come down on

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I'm not particularly interested in what sponsored anglers use from their sponsors. I would rather know about the stuff from other brands that they use surreptitiously. Even better, what they have paid for as if they were Joe Average. What would they actually buy with cold hard cash from a normal shop with no brand limitations or special discounts? That really would be interesting.

Didn't Tommy Pickering have a signature Daiwa Whisker float rod about 20 years ago?

There have been at least four distinct Daiwa Tom Pickering ranges that I'm aware of. A Tournament, a Connoisseur (or two) and two Matchwinners. The vagaries of Daiwa's names mean that they often go by alternative names.

The two Tom Pickering Matchwinner ranges were the original Tom Pickering Matchwinner (TPM) "Whisker" and the later Tom Pickering Matchwinner-S (MW-S) "Amorphous Coil". Plenty of people drop the "Matchwinner" part of the name when it comes to selling them, possibly because many buyers shy away from the Matchwinner ranges. They were never as expensive, or considered quite as worthy, as the Tournament or Connoisseur models.

grey

Site Supporter
Sponsored anglers are mainly used as a marketing tool so often don't have as much influence over tackle design as many assume. They might point out a gap in the market or request a specific action or function provided by tackle, but largely the design process is left to evolve through the company's internal design procedures.

The marketing team (the guys who research the need and promote the item of tackle) tend to know when they've got a dud product on their hands, and won't have any more enthusiasm to promote the product. They tend to reserve a sponsored angler's endorsement for products they know work and are most suitable for the market (the company has their reputation to maintain also).

I've known plenty of sponsored anglers who've declined a request, I've known sponsored anglers eventually leave a company due to difference of opinion. I don't know any sponsored anglers who is willing to promote anything regardless of how unsuitable it is.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I don't tend to watch that many fishing videos as often there is a lot of very subtle product placement going on along with the not quite so subtle. It does not bother me if a rod I like the feel of doesn't have a famous anglers name behind it. It does make a nice change that every now and again you might see an article or video where a guy says he is using a different manufactures kit other than the name plastered all over his Tee shirt, for me the guy then comes across as much more genuine and is using kit because he thinks it is good, unfortunately this doesn't happen very often. I also think that you have to take into account that no matter how much you might not want to believe these guys are being paid to say nice things about the persons kit that is paying them so it is always going to be a biased view. I do know of a quite famous angler that was sponsored by a certain tackle company that obtained some stickers to put on the rods of another manufacturer so he could continue using them ....the angler and both tackle companies will remain nameless, also it is nice to see that Mr Scothorne has in his contract with Drennan that he can continue to use Shimano reels

badgerale

I can't imagine that even the big name anglers are exactly rolling in it. More likely they are trying to pay the bills like the rest of us.

To be making any kind of a living from fishing must be hard enough. Winning matches has too much luck to it for it to be a dependable income, and how many people are buying books and such in the internet age.

That leaves sponsorship - and if a tackle company says jump then they jump. I don't care how genuine they seem - it's their job to sell tackle, and that is what they are doing.

pies

Site Supporter
I can't imagine that even the big name anglers are exactly rolling in it. More likely they are trying to pay the bills like the rest of us.

To be making any kind of a living from fishing must be hard enough. Winning matches has too much luck to it for it to be a dependable income, and how many people are buying books and such in the internet age.

That leaves sponsorship - and if a tackle company says jump then they jump. I don't care how genuine they seem - it's their job to sell tackle, and that is what they are doing.
Think you might want to look at Jamie Hughes, in an interview last winter he stated he had paid of his mortage at age 36. All from proceeds of fishing.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I dont listen to sponsored anglers and what they're being paid to promote.

Much prefer to ask people in the real world who spend their hard earned on stuff what they think.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I stopped listening to the match stars years ago as their job is agenda driven... when they jump ship and move to another manufacturer that new one is the best thing since sliced bread, and the next, and the next... so whats left...? I used forums for info for a long while, as all the lads and lasses have no agenda, no hard sell, just an honest opinion.... now using old bits of wood as my young padawan describes it, I no longer need an opinion on rods, poles, or boxes... I follow no match anglers but I will listen to a lot of ideas... having sat behind a few well known anglers and run the bank for Chris Vandervliet on occasion and had some coaching from Dickie Carr and Chris, I'll listen to what they have to say, but using match anglers opinions on kit is something I gave up a few years ago

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I'm not particularly interested in what sponsored anglers use from their sponsors. I would rather know about the stuff from other brands that they use surreptitiously. Even better, what they have paid for as if they were Joe Average. What would they actually buy with cold hard cash from a normal shop with no brand limitations or special discounts? That really would be interesting.

There have been at least four distinct Daiwa Tom Pickering ranges that I'm aware of. A Tournament, a Connoisseur (or two) and two Matchwinners. The vagaries of Daiwa's names mean that they often go by alternative names.

The two Tom Pickering Matchwinner ranges were the original Tom Pickering Matchwinner (TPM) "Whisker" and the later Tom Pickering Matchwinner-S (MW-S) "Amorphous Coil". Plenty of people drop the "Matchwinner" part of the name when it comes to selling them, possibly because many buyers shy away from the Matchwinner ranges. They were never as expensive, or considered quite as worthy, as the Tournament or Connoisseur models.
It's the TPM one that I have (thinks), which is now stored away. I remember paying £118 for it in 1991 and landed a 2lb roach with it the following year at Pevensey Haven. My stepson trod on the tip afterwards, and it is now a 3 piece 12' 11" spliced (no longer?) tip rod. I replaced it with the 13' Acolyte Ultra

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
The bottom line is that a lot of anglers (me included) simply say: "If it's good enough for him to use it's worth considering for me." That doesn't mean it's "The Best."

I bought a new side-tray recently - I simply went into Alex Bates' shop at Pidley and said: "I want a new side tray, is the Nu-Fish OK for me?." And he said "Yes" so I bought it. I didn't ask which was the best. I took his advice, and I prefer to spend that time otherwise spent looking for 'The Best' on improving my technique.

PS. TV adverts purport to show you the best, or best value for money on thousands of items. Does anyone take that at face value?

Louis D

Site Supporter
Think you might want to look at Jamie Hughes, in an interview last winter he stated he had paid of his mortage at age 36. All from proceeds of fishing.
I could have cleared my mortgage years earlier if I had multiple fisho wins etc. A lad l know was suggesting the big sponsored names are on £100K deals. I had to laugh, I could imagine something like £10K to cover fishing costs but even then only for a tiny number and maybe something extra for appearances - trades shows etc. Maybe I'm completely off the mark. On a similar line, I know a lot of people suggest ripoff coaching fees but a typical rate is maybe £250 a day, no one does that 5 days a week but even if they did then that is 'only' about £60K a year - I know quite a few folks who earn that, a nice wedge but hardly caviar and champagne in a private jet lifestyle (and I'm sure it's all declared ?).

To be honest, I don't care what they get paid or what they tout - good luck to them, they put a lot into maintaining their performance. I am influenced by people I see around - I don't care if they paid for it or not if I know why they really use it.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Good thread ,could you imagine if they started making the gear and putting the anglers name on the stuff they churned out .
we could have Dave Harrell stick float rods another good seller would be if daiwa put a big name on rods say like Tommy pickering
There was a Garbolino pole with Mark Downes name on it.
I have an old fibreglass rod with Jack Hargreaves name it.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Jamie buys old houses, gets them done up & flog's 'em. Couple of lads I know, do the work on them.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
The problem i find with sponsorship is that it is all well and good these people waxing lyrical about the latest bit of kit from manufacturer xyz but they are invariably given the top of the range gear to play with, not the stuff that most of us can afford. If i was given a £5,000 pole kit to try out i am pretty sure that i would like it, however, when it comes to actually buying one my budget is gonna have at one nought taken off. A Pro footballer may well be sponsored by Adidas or Nike, but most sunday league players will not be paying hundreds of pounds a pair for their boots, but may still purchase a cheaper range from those manufacturers simply because their favourite player wears them. At the end of the day it all marketing. You are more likely to get an honest feel for an affordable product from these forums and other reviews. The main thing i look for in reviews is patterns in the comments and if the same complaint (durabilty, build quality, lack of spare parts, after sales etc) crops up regularly then i would avoid.
On that note, having just broken the top section of my cheap pole, anyone point me in the direction of a decent replacement? :(
A friend who fished for England and is sponsored and a consultant by a major tackle company . Uses their cheaper range of rods and reels on various fisheries .
It's what he finds best for them, he also has their top end tackle. I have asked his opinion on various items of tackle that suit my needs and he has given me an unbiased one.