Which side do you come down on

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
They do but where do you think the finances and opportunties came from to be able to do this?
As good as they are they would not be able to do all they have done without the backing and support from the angling trade.

Keith Sparky

We are very spoiled nowadays. The quality of the kit for the price we pay has never been cheaper. You can put a hair between all the major manufacturers products and in general they all have some great gear. I do believe that the long serving consultants such as Des Shipp and Andy May would not put their name to a product they did not believe was decent. I do feel their recommendations whilst are obviously marketing are still pretty honest.

nickg

We are very spoiled nowadays. The quality of the kit for the price we pay has never been cheaper. You can put a hair between all the major manufacturers products and in general they all have some great gear. I do believe that the long serving consultants such as Des Shipp and Andy May would not put their name to a product they did not believe was decent. I do feel their recommendations whilst are obviously marketing are still pretty honest.

Id say you're provably right, a 30-50 quid rod these days will likely be very capable of doing whatever you bought it for.

Sure a 300 quid rod might have slightly nicer rings, x weave , a better balance or nicer action but to the man on the bank irs not going to make much difference overall....

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I used to think guru stuff was for poseurs (no idea why), but recently I have been buying some of their items, the latest being an xl rig box. I had bought a load of hooklengths, small hooks and for some reason, an odd length, and they wouldn't fit in any box. The guru one, although massive, has adjustable pegs in half inch lenghts, so the ones I bought fit perfectly. It's little things like that makes certain things better than others

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Id say you're provably right, a 30-50 quid rod these days will likely be very capable of doing whatever you bought it for.

Sure a 300 quid rod might have slightly nicer rings, x weave , a better balance or nicer action but to the man on the bank irs not going to make much difference overall....
I think there is diminishing returns in that a £300 rod is probably not half as good again as a £200 rod. But the rods I have around the £160-£180 mark are vastly superior to the sub £100 rods I have or even those a little over that mark. They certainly to do make a very noticeable difference in the form of more bites hit and/or recognised, less bumped fish, better casting, better line control, less fatigue from use etc.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
They do but where do you think the finances and opportunties came from to be able to do this?
As good as they are they would not be able to do all they have done without the backing and support from the angling trade.

I would of thought the finance would of come from thier own resources and possibly bank loans etc

the setting up of an alternative producer of baits and items for the angler in direct competition to the rest of the trade, might attract an investor or two based upon theier reputation and name rights but i wouldnt of thought that those in competion for the anglers pounds would give that much backing and support,

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Nick Speed is a brilliant angler and has been with Shimano many years, he has a lot of input into tackle design,and a lot of belief and faith in the tackle, why wouldn’t you listen to his opinion???‍♂️
I understand how good he is and admire his talent and skill greatly, but 'e don't 'arf go on a bit in the videos I've seen. I find Steve Ringer much more palatable. I guess it's just his style of presentation I find difficult to follow, and absorb everything he is saying. Maybe that speaks more about me than Nick Speed, but I am a pleasure angler, not a dedicated match one such as yourself others on here

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I understand how good he is and admire his talent and skill greatly, but 'e don't 'arf go on a bit in the videos I've seen. I find Steve Ringer much more palatable. I guess it's just his style of presentation I find difficult to follow, and absorb everything he is saying. Maybe that speaks more about me than Nick Speed, but I am a pleasure angler, not a dedicated match one such as yourself others on here
I don’t think you are alone, I don’t know Nick Speed, I don’t watch his videos, just something about his style or approach to them, just doesn’t come across as affable as Des, Steve Ringer, Paul Holland, Jamie Hughes and Andy May, just to name a few.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Personally I think if you listen to the likes of Des Shipp, Callum Dicks, Jamie Hughes, about tackle choices you won’t go far wrong anyway...They’re not just given an item of tackle to”push” on customers, they have input in design, field testing and final manufacturing ...Des and Callum and some others have been with their sponsors a long time, so their belief must say something...At the end of the day, any big items I buy I try first, I always use my own brain to Decide what to buy, I take no notice of reviews or what people say on here..I’d certainly never post a “which pole should I buy” post, !! I’m perfectly capable of going and trying things, and making a decision, based on how the product feels for me

Not saying you're wrong Chefster, but Jamies jumped ship from one company to another. Instantly that company did the best this that, and everything. So I'm sceptical of all paid angling consultant to be honest. Your right that it would be unusual for them to recommend rubbish gear, as most is made quite well. But I'd rather get real, true feedback from forums like this one, than a paid angler. BJMO.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Not saying you're wrong Chefster, but Jamies jumped ship from one company to another. Instantly that company did the best this that, and everything. So I'm sceptical of all paid angling consultant to be honest. Your right that it would be unusual for them to recommend rubbish gear, as most is made quite well. But I'd rather get real, true feedback from forums like this one, than a paid angler. BJMO.
I agree about Jamie Hughes,he’s gone from Maver to MAP to Matrix, but as for getting information off here it’s no different!! If you ask a question about a pole, you’ll get 50 different totally biased replies, every one who has brought a certain pole will swear blind it’s the best ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Cobweb I had the opportunity to sit behind Nick Speed at the JJL match at Alders for around 45 minutes and he just never stops talking, it's his nature and I probably picked up more tips on fishing the method in those 45 minutes than I would have from any article or video. ;)
When it comes to "Sponsored" anglers there are very few that I tend to take notice of as the reality is that they are really no more than trade customers of their supposed Sponsor. The ones I do take notice of are those that are consultants/company employees as they have some real input into developing the gear that they use.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
@Cobweb I had the opportunity to sit behind Nick Speed at the JJL match at Alders for around 45 minutes and he just never stops talking, it's his nature and I probably picked up more tips on fishing the method in those 45 minutes than I would have from any article or video. ;)
When it comes to "Sponsored" anglers there are very few that I tend to take notice of as the reality is that they are really no more than trade customers of their supposed Sponsor. The ones I do take notice of are those that are consultants/company employees as they have some real input into developing the gear that they use.
Thanks

Total

Site Supporter
Have always found most of the 'names' very approachable if done in the right manner and appropriate time....As for how they go about their sponsorship and all that it entails is very much their business not mine....

I'm glad I have 'names' and very experienced anglers around me to bounce ideas/solutions to discuss with. As has been mentioned above, incorporating these discussions into my own fishing is an art and if it works for me and the venues I fish, I consider that a result...

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Do sponsored anglers get to keep the kit they've been using from one maker when they go to another ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not being a match angler I've never properly met an angling "name" other than the odd hello at shows. Wouldnt have minded having more of a chat with some of them at said shows but never wanted to bother them as bet they have to put up with people all day

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Not being a match angler I've never properly met an angling "name" other than the odd hello at shows. Wouldnt have minded having more of a chat with some of them at said shows but never wanted to bother them as bet they have to put up with people all day
That’s why they are there ??

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Do sponsored anglers get to keep the kit they've been using from one maker when they go to another ?

Probably. But in a lot of cases they will have paid for that tackle, though most likely at a reduced price. "Sponsorship" is not the money-tree some people think it is. But it does boost the confidence of the angler, which is why so many do it for so little.

Total

Site Supporter
I agree about Jamie Hughes,he’s gone from Maver to MAP to Matrix, but as for getting information off here it’s no different!! If you ask a question about a pole, you’ll get 50 different totally biased replies, every one who has brought a certain pole will swear blind it’s the best ?‍♂️?‍♂️

What best 'pegs' would you recommend Gazz? ;):ROFLMAO:

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
I don’t think Steve has anything to do with the running of Ringerbaits , it’s run by Phil and I’m not aware he is sponsored , maybe wrong .