Which Shimano match reel for trotting?

Lucky Strike

Hi, I’m looking for a small shimano match reel with an ultra shallow match spool for trotting a stick float. All the modern ones don’t seem to have shallow spools and the old 3000’s although excellent, seem a bit big and heavy on some of my lighter float rods. The sizes are confusing too, 3000 in some models are tiny whilst others are huge. Most 2500 size reels don’t have shallow match spools. The ideal reel would be the shimano version of Drennan’s series 7 float reel.
Any suggestions? Thanks

squimp

Site Supporter
Aero XT-7 Mach 3. NOT match 3.

Rear drag, push button spool. Shallow spools available. Take the same size spools as the early 3000 models (which mysteriously morphed into 4000’s). that way you can have a feeder reel and a trotting reel and share spools if required.

I have 2 from about 1995. There are usually a couple on eBay.

Sam Vimes

Most of the big multinationals don't make reels specifically for the UK/Match market. For that reason, most spools are deeper than many UK anglers think ideal. The closest Shimano offerings to your stated ideals are probably the Super GT-RD and the Stradic Ci4+RA. Both reels have oversized spools so the 2500 models don't have spools that I consider too small. The spools on either come with spool reducers. Using them doesn't reduce the capacity as low as 100m, but they won't take as much line as much of the competition. The Super GT-RD is a fair amount cheaper of the two, but it's also a fair bit (40g) heavier.

Lucky Strike

Use a pin... simples... ultra tight control of pace
I’ve got a large collection of pins and love them all. They are not suitable for all trotting though, especially very light stick float work where you don’t want the float checked or slowed down

Lucky Strike

Most of the big multinationals don't make reels specifically for the UK/Match market. For that reason, most spools are deeper than many UK anglers think ideal. The closest Shimano offerings to your stated ideals are probably the Super GT-RD and the Stradic Ci4+RA. Both reels have oversized spools so the 2500 models don't have spools that I consider too small. The spools on either come with spool reducers. Using them doesn't reduce the capacity as low as 100m, but they won't take as much line as much of the competition. The Super GT-RD is a fair amount cheaper of the two, but it's also a fair bit (40g) heavier.
Thanks. I’ve been using an Aernos 3000 which is good but the line does not peel off the spool even with backing

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I mostly use the drennan series 7 float that you mention but I also have a 2500 shimano sahara that does the job well. It’s got a bit better engineering than the drennan but is not as light and doesn’t have the shallow spool which is why I prefer the drennan.

richox12

Thanks. I’ve been using an Aernos 3000 which is good but the line does not peel off the spool even with backing
Is it line thickness ? Thicker lines do not 'peel' as easily/smoothly as thinner diameters. Is it due to the lip of the spool ?? If so polish it (VERY fine wet 'n' dry). If it's because of a small diameter buy something with a bigger diameter. Although the Drennan is small diameter anyway.

Lucky Strike

Is it line thickness ? Thicker lines do not 'peel' as easily/smoothly as thinner diameters. Is it due to the lip of the spool ?? If so polish it (VERY fine wet 'n' dry). If it's because of a small diameter buy something with a bigger diameter. Although the Drennan is small diameter anyway.
With the Aernos, it’s not the lip of the spool where it’s catching - it’s bedding in slightly on the spool and stoping the float mid trot. Ironically it’s the finer diameter lines that have given me more problems. It may be the way the aernos lays line on the spool in a conical rather than flat profile.

nejohn

Site Supporter
With the Aernos, it’s not the lip of the spool where it’s catching - it’s bedding in slightly on the spool and stoping the float mid trot. Ironically it’s the finer diameter lines that have given me more problems. It may be the way the aernos lays line on the spool in a conical rather than flat profile.
If you feel that is the case you could always try adding/taking away washers from behind the spool depending on which way the conical line lay is, by doing this you should be able to adjust the profile to a flatter one

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’d advocate a pin too - the control and feedback is awesome and with practice you can ‘feed’ line with a thumb on the rim to trot the lightest of rigs.

Lucky Strike

If you feel that is the case you could always try adding/taking away washers from behind the spool depending on which way the conical line lay is, by doing this you should be able to adjust the profile to a flatter one
That’s interesting, I’ve never thought about that. The line cones upward toward the lip of the spool

trotter2

I did have a time were I used 2500 shimano reels. The deep spools is soon rectified with a bail of string and some electrical tape.

Lucky Strike

I did have a time were I used 2500 shimano reels. The deep spools is soon rectified with a bail of string and some electrical tape.
What do you use now? Fair point about the spool padding, I just find it hard to accept that in 2020 I can’t buy a match reel with a shallow spool

squimp

Site Supporter
the best shallow spool I have is on my 20+ year old Shimanos mentioned earlier. 100m 4lb, job done.

Recent Daiwa and Cadence reels I have, have 3x too much capacity.

trotter2

What do you use now? Fair point about the spool padding, I just find it hard to accept that in 2020 I can’t buy a match reel with a shallow spool
I the past I have used all sorts of reels the only reels I use now for running water float fishing are closed face..
The exage 2500 front drag was a nice little reel.

grey

Site Supporter
I agree.

The spool reducers are handy, but don't go anywhere near enough to reducing the spool to accept 100 metres of 3 or 4lb.

If manufacturers are prepared to sell 100 meters of line to the angler, they should also be prepared to ensure their reels are able to accept it without the need to add X-yards of 14lb sea fishing line to bulk it out. Because of this, I estimate only 10% of all the line I've ever bought has seen the water - the rest of it is just backing.

A chart on the side of my 2500 spool tells me it requires 330yrds of 0.17 (4lb Maxima) to fill it sufficiently, or 120yrds of 0.30 (10lb Maxima)... though why anyone would feel the need to load their 2500 size reel with such heavy line totally eludes me.