Which rod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlythMags

I've recently getten (is that a real word?) into angling and currently have an ABU Red Wolf match rod - it's probably rubbish, but will suit me as a beginner for the short term.

Anyway - I'm considering buying an additional rod and reel to allow me to leger as well as float fish.

Can someone advise what I should do:

a) Buy a rod specific to legering and use my existing rod to float;
b) Buy a rod specific to floating and use my existing rod to leger (I have a couple of quiver tips at present(;
c) Throw my current rod away and but two rods up to both tasks?

Also - any suggestions as to what make and model of (relatively inexpensive) rod and reel to go for, bearing in mind that I'm a new to this?

By the way, I intend to fish stillwaters for tench, carp, and roach as opposed to piking.

Thanks

Beebs

As long as you're happy with you match rod, I'd keep it if I were you. Since you already have a float rod, there doesn't seem to be much point in getting rid already. I'd be tempted to keep it for the time being and upgrade it at a later date, when you feel the time is right. For an extra rod, try and pick up a multi-tip quiver for ledger and feeder work. As to which one to get>

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/3022

Click the link above, and there's quite a good debate on various quiver tip rods to get. There's a helluva lot out there at the moment, so decide on your price range and have a look at what various people have had to say about their own. I started fishing last year myself after a long layoff and found it initially overwhelming, but you soon sort the wheat from the chaff, there's always plenty of people on here who'll give you their 2 penneth. Hope that helps.[:)][:)]

BlythMags

Thanks for that.

'Overwhelmed' - has to be the understatement of the year!!

I'm sure I'll become familiar with the various products out there - agree with you in terms of the helpfulness of people on this site.

Extremely helpful bunch!

scoobs11

buy a polaris side winder and you can turn any rod into a ledger rod very quickly and easily.

as for rods try to find a browning syntech tench rod and have a play. i use mine for everything from roach on waggler to mid double carping and combined with a sidewinder it works perfectly for feedering for bream.

i'll have a fiver on the brown one

fishing_mad

if you want a ledger rod for light fish just get a shakespear mentor feeder rod

[:)]Fishing Mad[:)]

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Or look at the various twin tip leger rods 11,12 foot these will then cover a larger area of fishing than a normal leger rod would dependant on which tip is used.

chill out go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here i go again.

Give "Tiny" (aka Andy) a pm or mail, he's got some great twin tips in called the "Frantic" i use mine for just about everything except carping & Piking.

It comes with a nice thin quiver type tip & an Avon tip, they are true value for money rods.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

TINY

Tiny
That twin tip has a test curve of 1 1/4lb as well.Unfortunately they are very limited to supply.Shame really coz its a good rod.

Andy.....Staffs Angling Supplies

carpbob3

my choice of reel would be one of the OKUMA range ..... excellent reels and excellent value for your money.

TINY

Tiny
My choice is for a Fladen 620,6 ball bearing,2 spare spools and only 34.99.Excellent value and precision made.

Status
Not open for further replies.