Which pole should i buy

Trophy1215

Hello I am new to your forum, so thank you for letting me join. I am a ex match angler in the days before poles were a big part of an anglers armoury. I haven't match fished for nearly 30yrs and now just a pleasure angler. The last pole I purchased is now about 15yrs old and cost £150, so looking to replace it, it is 13m but would like to go a bit longer, but do I need to go to 16m? I don't want to spend a fortune and was looking at a maximum of £1000. I have looked at some comparisons and Preston X410 looks about what I was looking for, I fish canals and lakes, the main lake I fish is in Hereford and not an out and out commercial lake it has carp to 21lb and a very good head of silvers. So while targeting silver's I may hook into a large carp. The canal I fish is the Kennet and Avon around Pewsey and Devizes so again always a chance of a carp. So with this background information I would like to hear from anyone who might have experience of the type of pole that would suit my situation. Angling shops just want to sell you what they have in stock or what makes them the biggest profit, so it would be great to hear from real anglers I know I am going to get a lot of different opinions about which make is best but that is ok, it will give me chance to shift though them. Thank you in advance for your answers.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
for around a grand, theres the Daiwa G90,

if you buy the "More match" version it will give you the top kits and package that will suit your described situation

good solid pole, that holds its value and theres lots of spares availble secondhand on the market if you wish to buy more kits, and sections

Trophy1215

for around a grand, theres the Daiwa G90,

if you buy the "More match" version it will give you the top kits and package that will suit your described situation

good solid pole, that holds its value and theres lots of spares availble secondhand on the market if you wish to buy more kits, and sections
Thank you for your comment, not one I have looked at but will now

DaveGas

I have the Daiwa 2012 Whisker 16m, still going strong and a brilliant pole, you will get plenty of different advice from people as its a personal choice but you will not go wrong with a Daiwa pole as you get a decent package and easily get spares if needed

Reuben

Site Supporter
Agree with all of the above. Have a look at the MAP TKS range too. Great poles & tons of reasonably priced spares.

Trophy1215

thank you all for your comments, I have
I have the Daiwa 2012 Whisker 16m, still going strong and a brilliant pole, you will get plenty of different advice from people as its a personal choice but you will not go wrong with a Daiwa pole as you get a decent package and easily get spares if needed
Thank you for your comments, I have looked at this pole but will have to look out for one second hand as the new price is above my budget.

Pyffy

Site Supporter
Hi Trophy, I was in a similar situation as you over the last few months, wanting a newer pole in and around £1000. I had tried a few poles last summer and was keen to get one with a few top kits. The Daiwa G90 with top kits comes in at around £1450 depending where you looked and felt a fabulous pole for the money, however it was £500 over budget. I also looked at the Daiwa Matchwinner C5 pole and that felt great up to 13m,pretty good at 14.5m and ok at 16m so was a possible as Nathans Angling centre had and still does have them at £999. At the time I tried a friend's Matrix MTX3 it and felt amazing up to 14.5m and very good at 16m. However that was around £1250-1300 and still over budget at the time. I decided to keep putting the pennies away until I could afford the MTX 3 and then of course stock ran out. Luckily they have just arrived back in the country and I finally ordered one from North Notts angling this week for £1195. It might be worth taking a look at the C5 if your budget is exactly £1000 as it seemed a good pole for the price.

Trophy1215

Hi Trophy, I was in a similar situation as you over the last few months, wanting a newer pole in and around £1000. I had tried a few poles last summer and was keen to get one with a few top kits. The Daiwa G90 with top kits comes in at around £1450 depending where you looked and felt a fabulous pole for the money, however it was £500 over budget. I also looked at the Daiwa Matchwinner C5 pole and that felt great up to 13m,pretty good at 14.5m and ok at 16m so was a possible as Nathans Angling centre had and still does have them at £999. At the time I tried a friend's Matrix MTX3 it and felt amazing up to 14.5m and very good at 16m. However that was around £1250-1300 and still over budget at the time. I decided to keep putting the pennies away until I could afford the MTX 3 and then of course stock ran out. Luckily they have just arrived back in the country and I finally ordered one from North Notts angling this week for £1195. It might be worth taking a look at the C5 if your budget is exactly £1000 as it seemed a good pole for the price.
thank you very much I did look at the MTX3 and was impressed with what I saw but will have to try a couple of poles out, still trying to keep below £1000, I still keep looking at the Preston X410 as it has the top kit package that suits my fishing and the price is good.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Doubt you'll get a G90 for much under £1,400. For your budget a MAP 401 could be a good option.