which part of this do you NOT understand?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
If they sanitise their hands before picking up the bag, or wash their hands immediately afterwards they shouldn't have much of a problem. However, to be absolutely on the safe side they should wipe sanitiser on the handles as well because they may handle the bag later. Sanitised wipes are very handy in this situation.
We are EXTREMELY fortunate as my missus has sanitiser that she uses at work ( She is a midwife ) but, I've heard that all the shops around us are clean out of it. I'm guessing it's the same where you are now GOzzer ???

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The items are easily wiped as well, I wiped down all the bottles of beer I bought yesterday for example. Also where possible I take stuff from the back of the shelf as it's less likely to have been picked up by multiple people. Tbh I often do it anyway as the items at the back tend to have longer sell by dates!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
But it's also all of the items in the bag...
The only thing I can think of is .... At least they aren't coming into contact with other people ? I guess having your shopping dropped off by Tesco's has a risk element ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The items are easily wiped as well, I wiped down all the bottles of beer I bought yesterday for example. Also where possible I take stuff from the back of the shelf as it's less likely to have been picked up by multiple people. Tbh I often do it anyway as the items at the back tend to have longer sell by dates!
?? I got a telling off for doing that in Asda once. The shelf stacker said .... You are supposed to get the first on the shelf. I said .... So, are they not ALL for sale then ? ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Haha that would be my answer as well. It's impossible to eradicate all risk just have to do what you can. Atm at least the chances of getting it anyway are thousands to one so if you take lots of precautions you are dramatically reducing the risk, all you can do really.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I have been using Flash spray with Bleach as a handwash but the missus says I have to use soap.

In the shop this morning the lad on the till was wearing disposable gloves and I commented that it was a good idea. He held his hands up and they were black (filthy), he told me he had only had them on for an hour and all he had done was pack carrier bags and handle cash, I am currently using contactless for everything.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A young lad on the till at Stax (a wholesalers) this morning had a box of disposable gloves and sanitiser behind him but chose to not use them, plus ignore the store's notice in front of him on the counter and come around the counter into our space to scan products.
He was also observed counting a wad of notes given to him by a previous customer, then his supervisor did exactly the same when he checked the count - no gloves, no distancing, no sense.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
A young lad on the till at Stax (a wholesalers) this morning had a box of disposable gloves and sanitiser behind him but chose to not use them, plus ignore the store's notice in front of him on the counter and come around the counter into our space to scan products.
He was also observed counting a wad of notes given to him by a previous customer, then his supervisor did exactly the same when he checked the count - no gloves, no distancing, no sense.
You can't educate pork Dave:mad:

dave the fish

Site Supporter
What these "Im going to do what I want and ignore all the advice cos I know best" Idiots dont seem to understand, is that the longer they carry on the longer its going to take to subdue this virus. That means the longer I will be forced to stay in isolation to make sure I can stay alive. :mad::mad::mad:

For F*** sake engage what little brain you appear to have and do what your told to do.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
What these "Im going to do what I want and ignore all the advice cos I know best" Idiots dont seem to understand, is that the longer they carry on the longer its going to take to subdue this virus. That means the longer I will be forced to stay in isolation to make sure I can stay alive. :mad::mad::mad:

For F*** sake engage what little brain you appear to have and do what your told to do.
Agree Dave but, when you see idiots licking items in a supermarket then what chance is there ? Society ain't what it used to be is it pal ? ?

The Runner

Site Supporter
Didn't see it but apparently some company up here that runs about 20 upmarket self catering places had a video ad on social media last week promoting their places as an ideal isolation hideaway. For three grand per person per month, upfront.
Ad was quickly taken down after they received a load of deserved abuse.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
As I see it we have two issues with some of the public not really taking this seriously. The first is about the message itself, the second is the immediacy and reality that people are experiencing, or should I say lack of.

What I have seen of the communication from Government and the experts does not seem to spell out in words of one syllable that by self isolation and social distancing we not only put off the day we contract the virus but we can actually arrest its spread. We have been told that an expected 80% of the population will be infected. We have been told that the overall fatality rate is expected to be around 1%. So to many it looks as if catching it is certain, but so is recovery. What they fail to recognise is that in contracting the virus and not protecting those they may come in contact with will eventually risk the lives of those most vulnerable, even the person cannot see the obvious connection. Six degrees of separation?

It is the same mentality that means car drivers ignore driving laws, the accident, the serious injury, the fatality will always happen to someone else. In the book Band Of Brothers Stephen Ambrose quotes a paratrooper that, upon being told that the fatality rate would be 66% on D Day looked left and right at his two neighbours in the plane and thought "Its been nice knowing you buddies". Its human nature and we can do little to change it.

The second issue is the length of time it will take for the epidemic to run its course. Right now to most people it seems a long way off and the current level of risk of infection low. People will not take it seriously until it arrives on their doorstep with a neighbour or family member being infected and possibly dying. I have run some numbers to demonstrate.. The UK population is at around 67 million. Deaths are estimated to be 1% of those infected so with the last figure I have seen 244 deaths should equate to 24,400 infections (the majority will not have been tested thus this is a best guess calculation). I have heard experts estimate that the number of infections will double in 3, 5 or 6 days and that social distancing and isolation could slow this to 7 days. Hence I have created the following table.

Virus Numbers.JPG

From this you can see that we won't reach 1 million infections for some 18 to 42 days. At that number the chances of any one of us knowing someone with the virus is still pretty small 1 in 67. It isn't until we get to just past 30-70 days that half the population will have been infected. At that point or approaching it people will take this threat to their own health as imminent, real and serious.

What these numbers don't show is the effect of social distancing and isolation on the spread and doubling. If we can stop the virus from being passed on, or from us catching it then the doubling period becomes immaterial as the virus will start to affect less and less people thus we could see a halving, not doubling. It is that message that needs spelling out in plain language, printed on every newspaper front page every day while the crisis continues. That the 80% infection rate can be avoided and the mortality rate will be reduced by taking appropriate action now.

The Runner

Site Supporter
What I have seen of the communication from Government and the experts does not seem to spell out in words of one syllable that by self isolation and social distancing we not only put off the day we contract the virus but we can actually arrest its spread.
Agreed. While I have no time at all for Nicola Sturgeon she's been very very good at this.
Our govt has handled things very well overall but sadly I don't think Boris with his tendency to waffle is the best communicator for clarity and urgency. Was far more impressed with Rishi Sunak .

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Have I missed something ? The small country lane outside our property is now the M25. I thought we were supposed to only be making essential journeys ? It seems now the kids are off its suddenly holiday time. I give up. ?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
My understanding is that the 1% deaths from infections is an overall figure, and that the figure for Over 80s is around 8%, increasing if they are extra-vulnerable, while for youngsters it is tiny - around 0.05% or so. And because many youngsters think they are invulnerable anyway (from everything from viruses to speeding at 150 mph without seat belts) they don't care if they get Covid-19 because they are sure they will recover easily. Thus it has always been.

As for those middle-ages who should know better, I have no sympathy with those who are too lazy to use their brains - it's Nature's way of getting rid of the thickies. My wife and I are completely self-isolating, having food delivered, and I am giving up matchfishing for the forseeable future. Of course, we could still be unlucky!

As for Society not being what it used to be, the same applies to all Westernised countries, which have had their cultures diluted by immigration since WW2 when travel became so much easier.