Which is better braid or mono?

Gandad50

Hi all Im putting together a bait casting out fit for perch and small pike etc. I have a lixada baitcast reel, and a WCKJT rod which appears to be a Shakespeare one. Can anyone tell me which is better Mono or Braid. The maybe suggest a brand to buy please?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just check that you can use braid mainline in the areas you want to fish as that might answer the question for you as some fisheries do not allow it.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Also do some checking on the rod, not all guides are braid friendly.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Depends on your set up and where you;re fishing, Ihave both on different set ups depending on what it is I'm targetting

Braid is great for that direct feel where the rod tip shows every knock and touch on the lure so much so that you can feel the difference between weed on the hooks and fish plucking at the lure the downside is that if theres a lot of floaty type weed in the water then braid tends to pick it up

Mono is very stretchy whereas braid had just about zero stretch in it and in a diameter to diameter comparison braid wins out every time meaning you can up the strength of the line without sacrificing on the diameter meaning you fish finer and generally but not always , put more fish on the bank

Generally I would say that braid wins out but be careful that your rod rings are braid friendly or you could end up replacing them if they groove or your braid keeps catching or snapping

As for make, go for a manufacturer who produces round or as round as possible profile braid, a lot of it is oval or flat weave and not a lot of cop for luring as flat or oval braid creates a lot of water resistance and you tend to lose any advantage of braids lower claimed diameters

I use Power Pro a lot in different line strengths , made in the USA by Innovative Textiles who also make Tough Line XP, both good braids but then theres loads of different makers and brands some of which will appear on here later from other posters

Gandad50

Depends on your set up and where you;re fishing, Ihave both on different set ups depending on what it is I'm targetting

Braid is great for that direct feel where the rod tip shows every knock and touch on the lure so much so that you can feel the difference between weed on the hooks and fish plucking at the lure the downside is that if theres a lot of floaty type weed in the water then braid tends to pick it up

Mono is very stretchy whereas braid had just about zero stretch in it and in a diameter to diameter comparison braid wins out every time meaning you can up the strength of the line without sacrificing on the diameter meaning you fish finer and generally but not always , put more fish on the bank

Generally I would say that braid wins out but be careful that your rod rings are braid friendly or you could end up replacing them if they groove or your braid keeps catching or snapping

As for make, go for a manufacturer who produces round or as round as possible profile braid, a lot of it is oval or flat weave and not a lot of cop for luring as flat or oval braid creates a lot of water resistance and you tend to lose any advantage of braids lower claimed diameters

I use Power Pro a lot in different line strengths , made in the USA by Innovative Textiles who also make Tough Line XP, both good braids but then theres loads of different makers and brands some of which will appear on here later from other posters
Thanks that's OK lot of great advice I'll look into that.

Tyecon

If your new to a baitcaster reel go with mono around 10 to 12 l/b till you get use to it because you will get birds nests till you become proficient in it . some will come out and some will have to be cut out so mono will be cheaper for this once your over the bird nest stage go for braid it's a lot thinner then mono so you can step up the breaking strain

Gandad50

If your new to a baitcaster reel go with mono around 10 to 12 l/b till you get use to it because you will get birds nests till you become proficient in it . some will come out and some will have to be cut out so mono will be cheaper for this once your over the bird nest stage go for braid it's a lot thinner then mono so you can step up the breaking strain
Good advice thank you very much for that.