Which Hook-length line for Specimen Fish (River)

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I would often target big chub on the Trent with large cubes of meat. I always used 6lb maxima and a hook length, around 12”, of 4lb maxima to an 8 eyed hook. Like you I used a tucked half blood knot (always 7 turns) and I never had any problems. Don’t overthink things, keep it as simple as you can get away with.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Any reason not to use knotless knot for eyed hooks when not using a hair?

I realise you could use palomar, grinner, or blood but to me these look like what you see in cartoons, the way a hook is tied to the line, whereas with a knotless knot the whippings on the shank and the line coming back through the eye gives the best angle.

solwood

Site Supporter
I am not sure the extra curve a knotless creates always is the best option

Preston had some hooks with out turned eye that make the hook lie straight

Palomar is what i use for all swivels too

Truly

Site Supporter

I realise you could use palomar, grinner, or blood but to me these look like what you see in cartoons, the way a hook is tied to the line, whereas with a knotless knot the whippings on the shank and the line coming back through the eye gives the best angle.
I too will be really interested in the replies to your question.
Until recently I always used a seven turn, tucked half blood knot. No where near as neat as the knotless knot, however I cannot recall ever having one come undone.

grey

Site Supporter

Just the strength of it really, the knotless is adequate in many cases, but ultimately it's not the strongest of knots.

grey

Site Supporter
I too will be really interested in the replies to your question.
Until recently I always used a seven turn, tucked half blood knot. No where near as neat as the knotless knot, however I cannot recall ever having one come undone.
Nothing much wrong with the tucked blood strength wise. I think fine lines to fine hooks and it is still a good choice - just bigger hooks and thicker lines, the Palomar is neater, quicker and marginally stronger. Easier to tie too, though I expect you've been tying the tucked blood all your life and can tie one better with your eyes closed, than many can with their eyes open! :D

Give the Palomar a go, even if you never use it on a hook, even you'll find it easier to tie a swivel using it !!!