Which freshwater fish have you not caught?

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Not caught
Grass Carp
Zander
Ide
Lamprey
Strugeon
Salmon
Catfish
Ruffe
Bitterling
Burbot
Ghost Carp

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Anyone else noticed a decline in Ruffe numbers in recent years? Used to catch them semi regularly up until 4-5 years ago but haven’t had one since.

Sam Vimes

I'm utterly uninterested in the recent invasives such as topmouth gudgeon, motherless minnows, exotic sturgeon, sterlets and the like. I'm fractionally less dismissive of less recent invasives such as bitterling, catfish, grass carp and zander, I would include them in my not caught list. I also won't include lamprey because they are nigh on impossible to catch legitimately on rod and line.

Zander
Catfish (Wels)
Stone Loach
Burbot
Any of the whitefish (char, vendace, shad etc)
grass carp

I've seen zander, catfish, grass carp and sturgeon caught over the years. However, I rarely fish a venue where any of them are remotely likely these days. I doubt I'd bother to deliberately target, or travel to fish for any of them.

JayD

Anyone else noticed a decline in Ruffe numbers in recent years? Used to catch them semi regularly up until 4-5 years ago but haven’t had one since.
They seem to be making a come back, I've caught them from three different Yorks rivers recently. Not in the same numbers, but I had six in one session on the Ouse.

Anyone remember the cichlids that used to thrive in the St Helens canal years ago? I remember reading reports of them making up a part of the match weights at the time. I think they were dumped in from someone's fish tank, and thrived because of the warm water outlets.

John.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
As I’ve never fished a river I’ve never caught a lot of them.

Fish I HAVE caught:

Mirror Carp
Common Carp
Leather Carp
Ghost Carp
Crucian Carp
Tench
Golden Tench
Roach
Rudd
Perch
Ide
Stickleback
Bronze Bream
Silver Bream
Koi
All sorts of goldfish
Blue Orfe
Golden Orfe
Brown Trout
Rainbow Trout

I’d love to catch a Barbel, even a stillwater one would do.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Sturgeon
Salmon
Burbet
Catfish
Charr
F1 not fished where they are stocked
Grass carp
Burbutt
Bitterling
Leather carp

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Barbel (not a river one)
Bitterling
Burbot
Catfish
Grass Carp
Lamphrey
Pumpkinseed
Salmon
Sturgeon
Zander The only ones I really want out of that list is a Barbel and a Salmon...had a salmon on but it made mincemeat out of me.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Of the more usual angling targets, I've never caught a .......
Pike, Salmon, Barbel, Zander,Bleak, Catfish, Ide, F1, Grass Carp, Ruffe.

Last edited:

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
They seem to be making a come back, I've caught them from three different Yorks rivers recently. Not in the same numbers, but I had six in one session on the Ouse.

Anyone remember the cichlids that used to thrive in the St Helens canal years ago? I remember reading reports of them making up a part of the match weights at the time. I think they were dumped in from someone's fish tank, and thrived because of the warm water outlets.

John.
Hi jayD I remember the hotties as we used to call them and used to fish for them as a novelty, not only cyclids but many different types of tropical fish which if I remember right was rumoured to have come from a pet shop that was closing down, the hot water came from pilkington's glass works I believe, good God showing my age and feeling it too lol

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
From the original list not caught....bitterling, burbot, catfish, grass carp, pumpkinseed, salmon, sturgeon, zander, but my claim to fame is catching a Lamprey at Green Hammerton on the river Nidd late 70s on double maggot intended for Barbel, to be quite honest i hadnt got a clue what it was until a mate verified it. (what a ugly fish).

Nicky Dodds

Allegedly burbot have been extinct in British waters since the 60s but small specimens were still being removed from the pump filters at eggborough power station on the banks of the river aire up to 20 years ago.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Me?

Bitterling, Burbot, Lamphrey, Stoneloach, Sturgeon and Salmon
I know a chap that has just bought a house with a salmon river in his garden. Of course it wouldn't count because it is not in the U.K.

bluemack

Site Supporter
Of the list I haven't caught bitterling, catfish (hooked and lost), sturgeon or zander. Burbot have been extinct in the UK for over 50 years and none of the lamprey species will actually take a bait.

Caught in the UK but not on the list: seatrout, large-mouth black bass, vimba, gibel carp (DNA confirmed), stone loach, bullheads, minnows, sun bleak (motherless minnows).
Hi Mark ,i had Lamprey of about 2lb from the Severn a few years ago in a match,took my double maggot fair and square in the mouth.absolutely no
fight whatsoever though,it made a bream seem like a Barbel.
Horrible thing to be honest.

I was thinking back to years gone by when we ran a 'Fish Race' on the site, people could submit different fish species they'd caught throughout the year and there was a prize for the one that caught the most. Then I got to thinking which fish haven't I caught before...

From the list below, tell us which species you have still to catch: (only UK caught fish count)

Barbel
Bitterling
Bleak
Bream (Common Bronze)
Burbot
Silver Bream
Carp (Common)
Carp (Mirror)
Carp (Leather)
Carp (Crucian)
Catfish
Chub
Dace
Eel
Grass Carp
Grayling
Gudgeon
Ide
Lamphrey
Minnow
Perch
Pike
Pumpkinseed
Roach
Rudd
Ruffe
Stickleback
Stone loach
Trout (Brown)
Trout (Rainbow)
Tench (Golden or Green)
Salmon
Sturgeon
Zander
Easier to say what I have caught:

Bream (common bronze)
Wild Brown Trout (definitely not stocked)
Rainbow Trout
Eel
Gudgeon
Minnow
Perch
Roach
Rudd

I'm hoping to add Pike, Grayling, Chub and Barbel on to the list over the winter. Then I'll be aiming for Tench and Carp next summer. I'll try for Salmon, but I'd say I've got no chance of that at all.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
From the list in the first post:
Burbot
Catfish
Grass Carp
Lamphrey
Pumpkinseed
Sturgeon

I have caught Miller's thumb (first one for twenty years a couple of week's ago), but not caught char or any of the whitefish.
Of the others, only zander that I've not caught in a match at some point.

Ruffe - they were never that common, but still catching a few. I was next to Ged Cash from Rugby 28 years ago on the Grand Union at Heyford when he caught 10 pounds of pretty much all Ruffe. There must have a been a "ball" of them as I had one and Polly on the other side had none .... we both had about 8 pounds of perch and roach. It was an amazing netful - never seen anything like it!