Which freshwater fish have you not caught?

JayD

If we're counting Burbot, then don't forget about the poor powan, vendace, charr, shad (allis, and thwaite), millers thumb, loach (stone and spiny).
This list could get very long:D

John.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bullhead, Stone loach and Bitterling added :)

The Runner

Site Supporter
On the subject of Burbot...
About 20 years ago my team had a Winter League semi final on the Cam which gave loads of blanks in practice.
One of my teammates got going with photoshop and produced a label for "Sensas Burbot 2000" groundbait with a pic of one on it and stuck it on a gb bag, on the basis that the Cam had been the last place anyone caught one and he seemed to have as much chance of catching one of them as anything else....

mbuna_matt

For me its catfish and zander are both on my "must do list" for the next few years.

Burbot
Catfish
Grass Carp
Grayling
Lamprey
Salmon
Sturgeon
Zander

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Not caught a few on the list but it’s the humble chub that drives me nuts. Fishing for nigh on 50 years, never caught one. Got a bit excited earlier watching a local fishery stocking some 8-10” chub in one of their ponds. May finally catch one 😢

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
On the subject of Burbot...
About 20 years ago my team had a Winter League semi final on the Cam which gave loads of blanks in practice.
One of my teammates got going with photoshop and produced a label for "Sensas Burbot 2000" groundbait with a pic of one on it and stuck it on a gb bag, on the basis that the Cam had been the last place anyone caught one and he seemed to have as much chance of catching one of them as anything else....
What happened to them do you know mate ? Poisoned ? Overfished ? I dont think weve ever had them up here.

The Runner

Site Supporter
If we're counting Burbot, then don't forget about the poor powan, vendace, charr, shad (allis, and thwaite), millers thumb, loach (stone and spiny).
This list could get very long:D

John.
And Schelly... (In Ullswater and a couple of smaller lakes nearby )
And Gwyniad ( Lake Bala)

alsur

Site Supporter
That definitely counts still caught regardless of size, I’ve caught maybe a dozen or so salmon all a couple ounces tops 😂
That reminds me I have caught Salmon Parr

I've also caught a Bullhead and Stone Loach (Stone Loach with hands) also Dab on Thames at Richmond

Last edited:

The Runner

Site Supporter
What happened to them do you know mate ? Poisoned ? Overfished ? I dont think weve ever had them up here.
No idea, think they had always been rare- most very old fishing books just mention that they exist in a few places rather than giving any detail of where and how to catch them. What records there are seem mostly from the east side of the country.
They seem to like cold deep water, in Finland where I've spent a bit of time they fish for them through the ice in winter . Did try for one there once in summer , was told to fish at night against a steep drop off with a lump of fish on the hook but no joy

JayD

Interesting story about the Burbot...

You beat me to it, glad I looked before posting:).

I'm old enough to remember the £100 bounty that the Angling Times offered for a capture, it was a decent amount of money at the time. The burbot was confined to eastern flowing rivers, just like the barbel. The Angling Times had a hand in spreading the barbel to the Southern flowing rivers, but apparently didn't think the burbot was worth the same effort. Though it's doubtful they would have lasted in the warmer waters of the south anyway.

John.

david white

Site Supporter
Not caught,
Burbot, bitterling, catfish, grass carp, lamprey, pumpkinseed, sturgeon and zander

Also caught,
gold fish, bullhead

Also Not caught
allis Shad, char, vendace

nejohn

Site Supporter
Stone loach, bitterling, burbot, wels cat fish (but have caught a another type, not sure exactly what it was) zander, lamphray and grass carp. Up until recently I hadn't caught a bleak then got bleaked out on the Wye just above Ross a few weeks ago

Simon R

Site Supporter
Mostly due to geographical location I've not caught - and in most cases never even seen

Bitterling
Burbot
Catfish
Lamprey
Pumpkinseed - although have caught these in the Italian lakes
Sturgeon
Zander
Any of the white fish - Vendace etc - some of which are almost extinct anyway

Simon

rudd

Site Supporter
Can you add stickleback and minnow?

Caught both on pinkies with a tiny hook - even targeted sticklebacks!

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The Bitterling used to infest many North West waters from an original illegal stocking probably from an aquarium shop then used as mini livebaits but the strange thing about them is they need Swan Mussels or similar to breed as the females lay the eggs inside the mussel.
They have pretty much vanished now as have Swan mussels.
The Weaver is full of motherless minnows in some sections.

MarkW

Of the list I haven't caught bitterling, catfish (hooked and lost), sturgeon or zander. Burbot have been extinct in the UK for over 50 years and none of the lamprey species will actually take a bait.

Caught in the UK but not on the list: seatrout, large-mouth black bass, vimba, gibel carp (DNA confirmed), stone loach, bullheads, minnows, sun bleak (motherless minnows).