Which freshwater fish have you not caught?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Never caught a Zander and never caught a Grass Carp.
Lamprey should not really be on the list although I have caught three the two bigger ones were both foul hooked one in the river Tweed and one in the Welsh dee and the most recent was a small one attached to a Whiting in the mersey tidal section.
They have no mouth as such just a circle of teeth and muscle were they rasp through the skin of their prey to suck their blood.
The bigger sea Lampreys spawn in our club stretch of the Dee and turn up to clear an area to spawn then when they finish most of them die just like Salmon.

BlueKoi

Four for me. Not too bothered about not catching these ;) I had the smallest of Zander on Maggot at Old Bury Hill must've been about 3-4 Oz not sure if this counts lol.

Catfish
Grass Carp
Lamphrey
Sturgeon

squimp

Site Supporter
Catfish (in U.K.), Grass carp, Ide, Lamprey and Sturgeon missing from my list.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I had the smallest of Zander on Maggot at Old Bury Hill must've been about 3-4 Oz not sure if this

That definitely counts still caught regardless of size, I’ve caught maybe a dozen or so salmon all a couple ounces tops 😂

The Runner

Site Supporter
Zander
Catfish
Sturgeon
Lamprey

UK caught but not on list
Sea Trout
Brown Goldfish
Bullhead
Stone Loach
Moderlieschen aka Motherless Minnow
and I'm probably one of very very few anglers to have caught a Shubunkin from a UK river....

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Lamprey .... Can you actually catch a Lamprey ?
Catfish.
Leather carp. ( dont think I have )
Sturgeon.
Zander.

Bullhead ( Millers thumb ) is missing from your list Dave. I used to catch the odd one in the Leeds / Liverpool but, Ive not had one in years now. 😣

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Barbel
Bream (Common Bronze)
Skimmer Bream
Carp (Common)
Carp (Mirror)

Carp (Leather)
Carp (Crucian)
Catfish
Chub
Dace
Eel

Grass Carp
Grayling
Gudgeon
Ide
Lamphrey
Minnow
Perch
Pike
Roach
Rudd

Ruffe
Stickleback
Trout (Brown)
Trout (Rainbow)
Tench (Golden or Green)

Salmon
Sturgeon
Zander

Never caught a Golden tench though.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I've caught a fish not on that list - weighed in 2 lb of Bitterling on the Weaver. Also tiger trout and brook trout.

I've also seen a silver tench - at Anglers Paradise many years ago. Ziggy showed me one , but it died that Winter.

Never caught burbot, sturgeon, lamphrey, salmon. But had ide over 5 lb in Sweden, and zander in Canada - Kevin Ashurst, Martin Founds and I caught them in the river and the indians cooked them over a fire. That was our lunch!

Last edited:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Not caught are...Lamprey, Sturgeon and Zander, but then, I haven't fished for them. Oh, and one not on the list, Sea Trout (Sewin), tried the river Towy and the river Cothi..but blanked.

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
They might have grown a bit now...

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Not caught
Burbot
Lamprey

What about Bitterling ? Had a few from Bridgewater Canal and Pickmere Lake, also a Stone Loach from the river gowy along with a bullhead.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
What do they call that non native fish that we are supposed to kill ? I dont mean Zander.