which firewall black ice or zone alarm pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

explicit69

ive never used black ice, yet ive heard of it. i,ve been using Z.A. pro. for over two years. never had a problem...i even caught someone trying to gain access to my com. the newest version not only protects ur computer from hackers (by making your computer invisible)...it now has a pop-up window control. it sports a nifty feature to turn the ads off in web sites + cookie control. so im curious if Black Ice offers these features? any info would be appreciated. thanx demonbat.gif

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Let me point you to a couple of long threads from an excellent computer help bbs which discuss ZA and Black Ice. Briefly, they operate on a totally different basis. Either will give much better protection than none. Each has advantages and running both would not be a bad idea. For myself, if I had an either/or pick, it would be black ice.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?s=ed1f1f9b70b0786404b13503933641a7&threadid=2811&highlight=black+ice

excellent but gets a little technical

or

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?s=ed1f1f9b70b0786404b13503933641a7&threadid=220&perpage=15&highlight=zone%20alarm%20black%20ice&pagenumber=2

Newt Vail

Edited by - Newt on 11 March 2002 04:38:27 AM

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Glad it helped Explicit.

For any who do not feel like wading thru the tech parts, here is a very "quick & dirty" recap.

Zone Alarm (a classical firewall) and Black Ice Defender (an Intrusion Detection System) have a very similar purpose in life - to prevent attackers from getting in to your computer and to prevent unauthorized (by you) information from leaving.

ZA does this by blocking traffic for all of the roughly 65K ports that TCP/IP can use. It will open ports only if you say to. The normal ports for HTTP (your browser) and POP3 (your email) are usually left open else you couldn't use either product. Other ports are up to you. ZA will not let ANY traffic in or out via the other ports unless you say it should (maybe for Messenger, ICQ, internet games, etc.).

Good enough then. You have control. However, a firewall does not care what traffic comes and goes thru a port you have authorized for use. It can be set to only allow certain programs to use the ports but does not check to see if the traffic is really from that program. So, Mack The Hack could put a thing called explorer.exe in some hidden location and set it to use one of the ports most folks have open. He is then free to visit your PC and to send any information from there to himself.

Intrusion Detection Systems like Black Ice Defender also require you to authorize which ports and programs but it also checks traffic in and out to see if it appears legit or not.

If a firewall is like a fence you put gates into, Black Ice is the same with guards at the gates to check credentials of all who try to enter or leave.

The main rap I've heard against Black Ice is "It doesn't stop outgoing traffic". This is false as it does check the traffic. It just does not send you a message when it blocks something.

Newt Vail

explicit69

you know that makes so much sense its scarry alien.gif
and you right too.. once a program has access its free...
i get a explorer.exe program askin but i never allow it and i have no problems. i've heard of this before, i run ad-aware alot and keep my virus scanner up to date... if this is realy a trojan how can i find out? its says (windows explorer... why it would want online for is beyond me) but the file name is explorer.exe its found in the windows folder. it sounds legit... but like i said you never know until you know. what do you think?
jaw-dropper.gif

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Windows Explorer may not actually be accessing the Internet, but if it is using TCP/IP to check for other computers on your network, that reaching out can be snagged by ZoneAlarm as an internet access attempt.

You might want to read up on the W32/RunFtp.worm from http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_98486.htm . Not likely but possible.

Also take a look at http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,49430,00.html . Also not real likely but is certainly possible.

One thing you might also want to do is to extract a fresh copy of explorer.exe from the cab file and replace the existing. Note that you will probably have to extract it somewhere then stop your GUI shell (if using 9x/ME) and make the replacement. If you are running 2K/XP it is more difficult to replace (but much less likely to be the problem unless you have disabled some protections). In that case, email me at nvail@ctc.net and I will give you a quick how-to.

Newt Vail

explicit69

i want to give Newt a standing ovation... jump.gif

always willing to help a fellow out. if i wasnt a "furriner" (or at least closer to N.C.), i'd buy ya a round. lol.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Help,
You guys are scaring the K--p outta me!
I,ve tried 3 times now to download and instal ZA!
On 3rd download it said instal , but then hit me with
'unloading Truevector service will disable its internet security.are you sure you want to continue?'
After an OK (with fingers crossed,) I got
'An I/O error ocurred while instaling a file. This is normally caused by bad installation media, or a corrupt installed file'

It then gave me an Abort/Retry box.
6 Retrys later , I hit abort and it gave me
'Corrupt installation file'
I was left with an OK only box, clicked it and got a system restart box to complete installation.
Clicked this, went into restart and when it came back I had nothing showing except open windows from my Comp/C drive/progs/aol 7.0a/download/ZA
Doesnt show in my programmes and no Icon?

Is it installed and if not where do I go from here?

Hate bloody computers LOL!

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trev - doesn't sound like it is properly installed.

What OS are you using? It will make a difference in exactly how to proceed from here.

You are basically going to have to remove whatever is there now (including registry entries) and try again. I can tell you how but will need to know what system you are on.

Next time, choose the option to download and save the install file rather than download and run.

And from what you have said, my guess is that you had an antivirus program running while you tried the ZA install.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
OS Newt?is windows 98 the answer to that 1?
Thats what I got.

Cheers Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trev - you said on the chat board that ZA does appear in your add/remove programs section but just won't run.

If you are able to remove it, do so.

Then boot up to DOS (not a DOS widow but start up in that mode) and at the command prompt, type in the following and press ENTER after that

Scanreg /fix

Scanreg /opt

Next get back into windows in safe mode. Easiest is to reboot and hold down the <CTRL> key while the computer starts. When you get the menu with options, chose safe mode.

Once you are there, run scandisk and then run defrag. Both are found in start~program~accessories~system tools

After that, reboot.

Now download a copy of the Zone Alarm install thing. That means pick to save it on your PC rather than run it.

Once you have it safely saved on your PC, stop your AV program and install ZA. Should work OK at that point.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
NEWT,
I luv ya!!
Ever since Shirley Temple the Yanks (and Rebs) talk Alphabet soup!
What the hell is an AV programme?, How do I stop it? Have I even got it?

Where is Raleigh? ie which State? and how far from you?

I might bring Puter in a Plastic Bag LOL

cheers now,

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
AV = Anti Virus program. And I certainly hope you got one.

Raleigh - capital of North Carolina. Center of the state. I am in the southern portion and only about 50 miles north of the South Carolina border. Raleigh is maybe 2.5 hours drive from here since it is almost all Interstate.

If any other part of my post was confusing, let me know and I will post you more detailed instructions directly.

If you plan to bring the computer, you might see about getting it compressed first. Easier to pack. Any shop that deals with junk cars can do the job - they will just use the thing they crush cars with. ROFLMAO

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Thanks Newt,
No , It aint you being confusing pal, It's me being Confused.
(That,s the description they apply to us 'Age challenged People' these days lol)

Sounds a good idea, the compressor!

Will it squeeze the last vestige of vicious life outta AOHell?

Would definitely be worth that!

Working on our chat and see you soon.

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trev - soon would be fantastic.

I can get 128 pics with the digital camera before I have to switch to another memory stick or dump the pics to the PC.

I think one of Trev holding a hog largemouth bass would go over nicely here, don't you?

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Sounds Great to me Newt,

Check your E-Mail, see if it stacks up and come back (Good Buddy as we CB ers used to say LOL)

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Oh lordy - the Zippy Curse in the US.

I can hardly wait.

Newt Vail

Del-J

' Victor '
I've had Z.A. pro for about 5months and so far it has done all I expected of it.
As they say these days well chuffed.

Be lucky,
Del.

ferret

I am still on the trial period with ZA but it seems to work very well have had about 60 possible hacks it may be exaggerating but it is nice to know something is there.
Mike

Ah! Not Fishing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.