Which Drennan Acolyte Feeder rod to buy ...

Rick123

Site Supporter
Which Drennan Acolyte Feeder rod to buy to fish the middle level drain in Cambridgeshire for bream and silvers!

I have recently joined KLAA (King's Lynn Angling Association) and moved that way. I will be fishing the middle level most of this season along with 10 mile bank and shepherds lake (KLAA) etc in search of silvers; especially the bream. I want to get a new feeder rod and was thinking of getting a Drennan Acolyte feeder. Either ultra or plus version and for the middle level I don’t know whether 11 foot or 12 foot what do you think would be best for silvers either 11 ultra or 11 plus or 12 ultra or 12 plus

I would appreciate your views if you have these rods and used them in similar situations.

Thank you in advance for your help.
I happen to have a nearly new Drennan matchpro medium feeder if you want it. Very clean almost new, can do a decent deal if your interested. I'm slowly selling off a lot of my gear as I'm simply crippled with arthritis buddy.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I think people under estimate the ultra feeder, it’s not as light actioned as the ultra float rod. I’ve bream like the below on it and you pretty much can just wind them in so I don’t think you’d have a problem with them until they got to double figures.
1594998770881.jpeg
My Grandads had his longer than me mine so in addition to similar sized bream he’s also had similar sized tench, chub and pike on it with no issues. If you’re a good enough angler to catch big bream regularly then then the plus is probably the best option but if you are more like most of the rest of us the ultra will be fine and better for the silvers. Better to tackle up for what you will catch rather than what you might catch and be under gunned once in a while than over gunned most of the time.
Its a bit that way down the length rod range. The 9lb ultra bomb takes 6lb line and is not as light actioned as people think. The 9' plus takes 8lb, so I agree, the feeders all have a decent amount of strength lower down. 6lb line takes a lot of breaking by any fish, providing you have a decent reel and know how to use it?