Which Drennan Acolyte Feeder rod to buy ...

TimC

Which Drennan Acolyte Feeder rod to buy to fish the middle level drain in Cambridgeshire for bream and silvers!

I have recently joined KLAA (King's Lynn Angling Association) and moved that way. I will be fishing the middle level most of this season along with 10 mile bank and shepherds lake (KLAA) etc in search of silvers; especially the bream. I want to get a new feeder rod and was thinking of getting a Drennan Acolyte feeder. Either ultra or plus version and for the middle level I don’t know whether 11 foot or 12 foot what do you think would be best for silvers either 11 ultra or 11 plus or 12 ultra or 12 plus

I would appreciate your views if you have these rods and used them in similar situations.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Flathead

Site Supporter
I fish both the Middle level and Ten Mile bank and use a 12 ft. Drennan Matchpro medium feeder rod which is fine for both.

The same rod would work for Shepherd’s port just as well.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I use an 11ft ultra on the middle Thames for silvers. You certainly wouldn’t want the plus but whether you want the 11 or 12 depends on the size of the venue, don’t recall it being vast so I’d have thought the 11ft would be fine.

TimC

I fish both the Middle level and Ten Mile bank and use a 12 ft. Drennan Matchpro medium feeder rod which is fine for both.

The same rod would work for Shepherd’s port just as well.
Thank you for your reply. Do you think the 11' Ultra Drennan would be too short to fish the Middle level and Ten mile bank? I do not know the Drennan Matchpro is it a recent rod and is it very good and does it have a soft action for bream and does it suffer from any hook pulls on the strike or misses?
Cheers,
Tim

TimC

I use an 11ft ultra on the middle Thames for silvers. You certainly wouldn’t want the plus but whether you want the 11 or 12 depends on the size of the venue, don’t recall it being vast so I’d have thought the 11ft would be fine.
Thank you very much for your reply. Are you pleased with the Ultra and its action/response? How wide is the middle Thames as the Middle level and Ten Mile bank are I am guessing 50m wide!
Cheers Tim

jasonb

Account Locked
11ft ultra for smaller silvers, 12ft ultra if your after bigger bream and tench. depends on the size of reels you like using.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Thank you for your reply. Do you think the 11' Ultra Drennan would be too short to fish the Middle level and Ten mile bank? I do not know the Drennan Matchpro is it a recent rod and is it very good and does it have a soft action for bream and does it suffer from any hook pulls on the strike or misses?
Cheers,
Tim
Personally I would use something with a bit of backbone....there is always a chance you will hook a tench and will definitely hook pike.....also a lot of the bream could be in the 5-7 lbs. range. The drains can also run a bit at times and the Great Ouse can have a fair flow. Generally 28 gram feeders are needed

11 ft may be ok but much feeder fishing require a chuck to the far bank.....I find the matchpro suits me and I rarely pull out of fish....you need to be able to strike and pull a fair size bream in 15 ft of water and sometimes 20ft on Ten mile bank

I have not used the Drennan Acolyte so can’t comment.

Many anglers do use shorter rods....best thing is to try what you have and see if it is OK

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@TimC I’m a terrible judge of distance so best to show you a couple pictures with one narrower bit had one wider bit to judge distance. I can cast most of the way across with the 11ft ultra with a 20g feeder, it loses it a bit with anything by heavier if you are pushing for distance but it’ll cast up to 40g on shorter distances.
1594894575838.jpeg
1594894604577.jpeg
As to the action it’s lovely to use for smaller fish but it’ll handle proper bream fine as well. You’ll bump very few fish on it for sure and feel almost any fish on it. I mostly use it with the 1.5oz tip around here so I can see everything as it’s not a fast river much like the venues you fish. Biggest bream I’ve had on it are only 6-7lb but they were comfortable enough so I’m sure you could go a couple pounds over so heavier without any issues, it’s not like 10lb river fish come out everyday anyway is it!

JLK

Has anyone got the 11ft ultra and the 11ft plus. If so are how different are the blanks when compared side by side? Are they different, the same or is it that the tips are the only things that are different?

Jipes67

Has anyone got the 11ft ultra and the 11ft plus. If so are how different are the blanks when compared side by side? Are they different, the same or is it that the tips are the only things that are different?

I have both and the plus has a bit more backbone in the lower section.
The tips are exactly the same for the whole range.

Jipes67

I don't know the venues you fish but unless you're only fishing for small silvers I would go for the 12 ft plus.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I’d go for the Acolyte Plus every time. Always nice to have a bit of extra grunt if needed & they’re as light & slim as anything similarly rated out there. Fantastic rods that, I dare say, will retain their value better than most of their competitors.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think people under estimate the ultra feeder, it’s not as light actioned as the ultra float rod. I’ve bream like the below on it and you pretty much can just wind them in so I don’t think you’d have a problem with them until they got to double figures.
1594998770881.jpeg
My Grandads had his longer than me mine so in addition to similar sized bream he’s also had similar sized tench, chub and pike on it with no issues. If you’re a good enough angler to catch big bream regularly then then the plus is probably the best option but if you are more like most of the rest of us the ultra will be fine and better for the silvers. Better to tackle up for what you will catch rather than what you might catch and be under gunned once in a while than over gunned most of the time.

Simon R

Site Supporter
12' Ultra is a lovely bream / silvers rod -but has enough poke to subdue much bigger fish without giving too much cause for alarm.

I use mine for casts up to about 40/50m - with approximately a 30g feeder
It will cast further than that and chuck greater weights if necessary but I have other, more appropriate, rods to do that

Simon

TimC

I think people under estimate the ultra feeder, it’s not as light actioned as the ultra float rod. I’ve bream like the below on it and you pretty much can just wind them in so I don’t think you’d have a problem with them until they got to double figures.
1594998770881.jpeg
My Grandads had his longer than me mine so in addition to similar sized bream he’s also had similar sized tench, chub and pike on it with no issues. If you’re a good enough angler to catch big bream regularly then then the plus is probably the best option but if you are more like most of the rest of us the ultra will be fine and better for the silvers. Better to tackle up for what you will catch rather than what you might catch and be under gunned once in a while than over gunned most of the time.
Thank you so much for your advice - it has been much appreciated. I have now bought the 12 Ultra feeder and will be using it for the first time this weekend. I will be using a 30g caged feeder and chucking about 40m on ten mile bank. Would it be ok for casting distances less than 40m eg casts of 20-30m or will that be difficult with such a long feeder rod?
Cheers Tim

TimC

12' Ultra is a lovely bream / silvers rod -but has enough poke to subdue much bigger fish without giving too much cause for alarm.

I use mine for casts up to about 40/50m - with approximately a 30g feeder
It will cast further than that and chuck greater weights if necessary but I have other, more appropriate, rods to do that

Simon
Thank you so much for your advice Simon.
As I have said above, I have now bought the 12 Ultra feeder and will be using it for the first time this weekend. I will be using a 30g caged feeder and chucking about 40m on 'Ten Mile Bank' on Saturday and then I will be fishing the 'Middle Level Drain' on Sunday where I would only need to cast distances of between 20-30m. Will the 12' Ultra cast these shorter distances OK or will that be difficult with such a long feeder rod?
Cheers Tim

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not sure about the 12ft as I have the 11ft. That said I’m pretty sure 30M wouldn’t be a problem, maybe just a touch awkward at 20M but I’m just guessing I have only used a 12ft feeder rod once before.

solwood

Site Supporter
Just adjust your casting style for shorter chucks

I decide on length of rod by which obstructions I have

davepellet

I have the 11ft ultra and use it for everything up to 40 yards

Used to use it for commercial carp and had them up to mid doubles on this rod, very versatile rod