Which Diawa closed face reel?

Wrongfoot

I'm snooping on eBay, FB market etc. What's the difference between the 120 123 and 125. Is there a model to avoid?

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
120 anti reverse and drag, oldest, 123 next oldest and no anti reverse, 125 newest anti reverse and drag, the 120 and 123 discontinued parts hard to find, 125 was still in production, if you get one just check it's all working as it should and line peels off the spool nice, I would still use mine but there worn out after 35 years !

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
120 has a "synchro" type. drag on the handle.
123 has no drag at all.
125 has a rear drag.

Wrongfoot

Thanks both, very helpful. I know the Abus are still available and work well , but I had a 120 as a kid so I like the look of the Diawas more. I'll see what comes up.

IanG1

Site Supporter
I use a 123m for some of my stick float fishing, changed out the plastic bushes for stainless bearings ( £5 a pair off ebay if you know the size) and stripped and re-greased and its now silky smooth a better than new. Simple with no drag just backwind if you need too if a bonus fish comes along. Noticed they have gone up on Ebay, mine was a tenner about 2 years go, the are more like £25 now

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I have a 125M - has rear drag, is silky smooth (regular strip & service) and a joy to use on the river. I don’t think it cost a lot from FB marketplace (very little of my kit has) but feels so nice in the hand that even my 5yr old uses it since it’s simpler than a bail arm mechanism to learn casting with.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Just for comparison Wrongfoot. 120 top, 125 bottom. With sausage fingers like mine I found the Daiwa’s easier to use than an Abu. 186BDE3F-DE39-4EB4-8A4F-0B7F66F732E7.jpeg

Blanks

Site Supporter
Second picture is not a 125m it has the wrong top fitted.
Ive got a 125m that I have had since the 80s, great reel.

SeanB

Site Supporter
I use a 123m for some of my stick float fishing, changed out the plastic bushes for stainless bearings ( £5 a pair off ebay if you know the size) and stripped and re-greased and its now silky smooth a better than new. Simple with no drag just backwind if you need too if a bonus fish comes along. Noticed they have gone up on Ebay, mine was a tenner about 2 years go, the are more like £25 now
I don't suppose you can remember the size of the bearings needed?
I found an eBay seller that can supply sets but £11 seems a bit steep.

davepellet

For me it would be 123m. 120’s not bad. 123m simple and functional, never used a 125m, the more recent version... but ugly as...

SeanB

Site Supporter
Got some bearings ordered, looking forward to seeing the difference in my 123m.

Wrongfoot

Got some bearings ordered, looking forward to seeing the difference in my 123m.
Have you fitted yours yet? Worth it? I've noticed that it'll be easier to get the plastic bush out both sides of a 125m and swap in the bearings than it'll be for the 123m.

Haven't quite worked out the least invasive way to get at the RHS bush for the 123m yet.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Have you fitted yours yet? Worth it? I've noticed that it'll be easier to get the plastic bush out both sides of a 125m and swap in the bearings than it'll be for the 123m.

Haven't quite worked out the least invasive way to get at the RHS bush for the 123m yet.
I had to totally strip the guts out of mine to get to the RHS bush and pop the bearing in, You can clean everything up and regrease so not a waste of time.

SeanB

Site Supporter
I have, the handle side went in a doddle but the one one the main gear was really tight. Tbh I'm not sure I've got it on all the way as the reel feels a bit rough, almost like the gears aren't quite meshing. I've seen a few reports from people who have fit them and been really pleased so for the sake of a few quid I would say go for it.

Wrongfoot

I have, the handle side went in a doddle but the one one the main gear was really tight. Tbh I'm not sure I've got it on all the way as the reel feels a bit rough, almost like the gears aren't quite meshing. I've seen a few reports from people who have fit them and been really pleased so for the sake of a few quid I would say go for it.
The handle side is tight on mine too, but I reckon a quick polish of the main gear shaft with 400 grit will sort that.

When you stripped the guts out was that just popping the e clips off the 2 supporting rods or did it also involve getting the main worm gear shaft out?