Which Daiwa reel

Simon90

I'm in the market for a new reel. I already own a Daiwa Ninja 3012 and would like something similar. But I don't really know much about the current range of Daiwa reels, other than they are 'LT' now and the sizes are different. To get something similar to the 3012 I think I would need a 4000 size reel. I don't mind if it's a bit smaller, but not by much. It will be used for fishing the waggler, typically with 4lb line on a 14ft rod.

The following reels are on my shorlist:

Daiwa Ninja LT 4000
Daiwa Legalis LT 4000
Daiwa Exceler LT 4000
Daiwa Fuego LT 4000

I like the look of the Legalis, but I don't have any experience with these models. I don't mind paying a bit more to get a better reel, but the Fuego costs more than I really want to spend, but I could stretch to it if it was justified.

If anyone has any experience with these reels, especially for float fishing your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I have both the Ninja and Legalis reels. The Ninjas are in 4000 size for feeder work and the legalis are in 3000 and 2500 for floats. I think the Legalis is a little better quality and very slightly smoother. Both nice reels though. My Ninjas are not the LT versions, as I was told being lightweight , they are a bit more flimsy.

Simon90

I have both the Ninja and Legalis reels. The Ninjas are in 4000 size for feeder work and the legalis are in 3000 and 2500 for floats. I think the Legalis is a little better quality and very slightly smoother. Both nice reels though. My Ninjas are not the LT versions, as I was told being lightweight , they are a bit more flimsy.
Thanks for the infomation.
I have been led to believe that in order to match the size of the non LT Ninja 4000 you would need the 5000 LT version. Both of those reels would be bigger than I require.
I'm not sure about the Legalis LT sizes though, would I need a 3000 or a 4000.
LT is supposed to stand for 'Light Tough', suggesting that the reels have been made lighter but retain there strength. I would be interested to know what others think about that?

Maverick

Site Supporter
Thanks for the infomation.
I have been led to believe that in order to match the size of the non LT Ninja 4000 you would need the 5000 LT version. Both of those reels would be bigger than I require.
I'm not sure about the Legalis LT sizes though, would I need a 3000 or a 4000.
LT is supposed to stand for 'Light Tough', suggesting that the reels have been made lighter but retain there strength. I would be interested to know what others think about that?

Dropped one on my toe and had a limp and a bruise for a week. Hope this helps (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I certainly wouldn't go with 4000 on a float rod especially with daiwa so as the spools quite big. 3000 or even 2500 would be much more suitable.

alsur

Site Supporter
From what I can make out LT reels are smaller than old Daiwa reels

TrickyD

Site Supporter
See if you can get a Legalis 3012 or 2508 on ebay, or any Daiwa 3012/2508 model. I am not keen on the LT models, as said, feel flimsy and not as well put together. Personally I find 2508 reels a touch too small, got Legalis 3012 and 4012, fantastic reels.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I'm really happy with both the Legalis 2508, and 3012 models which I have been using for a few years. I also have a Ninja 3000LT which I use on my light feeder rod. It is ok, but lighter than the Legalis and does not feel so robust but is good enough for the work I put it through. I'd be tempted to use that on a float rod for balance and reduced fatigue, though I do not think that the LT is designed for that work

CookieMonster

I'm in the market for a new reel. I already own a Daiwa Ninja 3012 and would like something similar. But I don't really know much about the current range of Daiwa reels, other than they are 'LT' now and the sizes are different. To get something similar to the 3012 I think I would need a 4000 size reel. I don't mind if it's a bit smaller, but not by much. It will be used for fishing the waggler, typically with 4lb line on a 14ft rod.

The following reels are on my shorlist:

Daiwa Ninja LT 4000
Daiwa Legalis LT 4000
Daiwa Exceler LT 4000
Daiwa Fuego LT 4000

I like the look of the Legalis, but I don't have any experience with these models. I don't mind paying a bit more to get a better reel, but the Fuego costs more than I really want to spend, but I could stretch to it if it was justified.

If anyone has any experience with these reels, especially for float fishing your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Size: new LT vs old
lt.jpg

Then gear ratio and $, if you want cheap real pick Ninja - non screw in handle, Exceler is Fuego without magseal and without screw in knob but handle is screw in, Fuego is top of those reels.

So Ninja then Legalis, Exceler and Fuego, IMO best value/money is Exceler.

lucc

I had the legalis...Other than the benefit of the weight, I much prefer the shimano ones for the benefit of a smoother brake, which is paramount on nice fish. I resold all my legalis LT (I had 4 of them).
The sedona is very cheap (around 45€) and excellent. it has also in high gear version a 91cm rewind value per turn.

Simon90

Size: new LT vs old
lt.jpg

Then gear ratio and $, if you want cheap real pick Ninja - non screw in handle, Exceler is Fuego without magseal and without screw in knob but handle is screw in, Fuego is top of those reels.

So Ninja then Legalis, Exceler and Fuego, IMO best value/money is Exceler.
Thanks for the guide, it's very useful.
Daiwa's reel sizes really are all over the place.
If I wanted to match my 3012 I would need a 5000 LT reel, not the 4000 I thought. That's some difference.
The 4000 LT sits just about right for me, somewhere between the old 2500 and 3000 reels.

Simon90

I had the legalis...Other than the benefit of the weight, I much prefer the shimano ones for the benefit of a smoother brake, which is paramount on nice fish. I resold all my legalis LT (I had 4 of them).
The sedona is very cheap (around 45€) and excellent. it has also in high gear version a 91cm rewind value per turn.
I had a look at the Shimano's, specifically the Sahara, it's highly rated and in my budget. But what really put me off is the lack of backwind on many of the present range of Shimano reels.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
@Simon90 I have 2no. of the Fuego LT 3000D-C Reels (C for Compact).
Lovely reels and landed a 12lb Carp on 4lb Maxima with one.
Very smooth reel and distance from stem to lip of reel is an easy reach with your finger of 58mm which is great for trotting.
CookieMonster's chart is spot on. My spool is 48mm.
They are relatively deep spools though and you only get one. I did buy 2no. spare spools from Diawa a year ago though.
They do have a backwind & only weigh 215g!
You may find it hard to get these reels now but Andrew's Knots from YouTube has bought LT's from this link before with no problems and at a great price:
Link to Spare Spools:

Last edited:

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Here's a few more Fuego LT 3000D-C Specs:
215g 10kg Drag 80cm Retrieve 5.3:1 Ratio 6+1 Ball Bearings

nejohn

Site Supporter
Another option could be the Daiwa Prorex 2500, Bobco are doing these for around £75 and for the money they are very good ok you will have to put some backing on but other than that they are probably a better reel than the others on your list ......not sure about the purple though, but it could be the new orange

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Just buy another Ninja 3012, plenty come up for sale, then you would have 4 spools you could chop and change between.

Simon90

Another option could be the Daiwa Prorex 2500, Bobco are doing these for around £75 and for the money they are very good ok you will have to put some backing on but other than that they are probably a better reel than the others on your list ......not sure about the purple though, but it could be the new orange
Until I saw your post I didn't know the Prorex even existed. It's certainly another one to put in the mix. I see what you mean about the purple!