Which Braid

brantwood

Hi all. Can anyone recomnend what braid would be best to use for just using to feed a swim with the preston wire cage feeder. I have never used braid before so is there a difference in braid makes and do the different brands react differently when used I.e. do they tangle or knot when casting does spring of the spool when new. Cheers all

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Hi all. Can anyone recomnend what braid would be best to use for just using to feed a swim with the preston wire cage feeder. I have never used braid before so is there a difference in braid makes and do the different brands react differently when used I.e. do they tangle or knot when casting does spring of the spool when new. Cheers all
I've never used braid as a main line, but it seems the more strands the better.

frankg

Site Supporter
I use 0.12mm Diawa J Braid...8 strand

brian carragher

Site Supporter
I use power pro, its one of the better braids, nice tight weave and a more rounded profile than most makes

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Powerpro and spiderwire are my favourite casting braids. Steer clear of the cheap ones as whilst they are absolutely fine for dropping off the back of a boat (and much cheaper for filling a multiplier!) they don’t tend to cast well.

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
I've got cheap braid I got from aliexpress on my deadbait rods. Can't say I can tell the difference between that and the daiwa J braid it replaced

I'm looking into getting some of the KastKing braid from AliExpress for my pike reels for next winter, see how it compares to expensive power pro 👍

Simon90

I've been using Diawa J braid 8 for the past few years, and I'm very happy with it. It's the first braid I've used so can't compare it anything else, but it's works very well for feeder fishing and seems to be durable.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I’m very impressed with the new drennan acolyte braid, and I’ve tried quite a few, only £15 for 150mtrs, 👍👍👍

PAB

Site Supporter
i have been using Guru pulse 8 for several years and have not had any problems.

davylad

Site Supporter
One tip is to spray the braid with water, this stops wind knots forming.
How do you spray the braid that's covered up? Wind knots are usually caused by line twist, that's why it's very important to make sure there isn't any. Filling the spool too much is another no no, for obvious reasons regarding wind knots.

squimp

Site Supporter
There's a lot of fake PowerPro about, but few people will tell the difference.
I use the ‘fake’ stuff in heavy (65 and 80lb) breaking strains and it works just fine. And it is very cheap.

I bought some 20lb recently and apart from being a bit thick, it looks smooth and reliable. I haven’t used it yet as the job it was bought for had to be shelved due to the January lockdown.

Dropon

To wet the braid use a sprayer before first cast and after casting spray again. I spray several times whilst fishing and have not suffered any wind knots.

rudd

Site Supporter
To wet the braid use a sprayer before first cast and after casting spray again. I spray several times whilst fishing and have not suffered any wind knots.
I use braid for lure fishing.
Just cast short, then a bit further and further stlil etc.etc.
Cover loads of water and braid gets wetter and wetter.

rudd

Site Supporter
To save putting on a leader, just use a heavy spod braid straight through.
Google 'Spod braid' , average cost is £25 for a spool.
Remember when just baiting up you are loading up braid on regular casts whilst reeling in fast in between.
This abuse will not be good for braid designed for fishing with.

davylad

Site Supporter
Too much messing about for me that, no need if you load the spool correctly. (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I just hose it briefly if I'm going on a boat (there's always hoses by boats) unless it's just downtiding as then it doesn't really matter as it's not being cast and its soon wet through after one drop. If not on a boat I just pour a bit from my bottle on it. It's not like it has to soak through many layers deep.