Which bait bands for line clip?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm not denying @Irishhybrids is a good angler etc. The problem as far as I see it is he can't articulate himself. At least not without flying into a hissy fit. :LOL:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
How do you know I am a Decent Angler ? I’m pretty s**t to be honest .👍oh I can articulate myself,just not with muppets who have a history of talking utter ******
You blew your own trumpet above mate saying you've fished alongside Bob Nudd. That's good enough for me. I might not have gone to fishing school (actually I did) but I did go to the School of Hard Knocks so I don't mind your comments. 😁

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
@Zerkalo @Irishhybrids said he has fished against him in festivals not alongside him.
Anyone can fish against ex world champs or international anglers, it does not mean they are as good as them.
The Lymm Dam thursday matches some years ago had the cream of northwest fishing there, Ashurst, Addy,Conroys, Vinnie Smith, Lucas, Jimmy Byrne ,Frank Holding,to name a few, Yes they got beat now and then but not very often .

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Well my bands arrived. Turns out only a 5mm band will fit. The 3mm bands are too small as suspected as it's quite a fiddly job to first fold it over itself and secondly get it over the line clip, but it is doable with the help of a baiting needle. Best of all it seems to work, yet I'm told this is 'bad angling'. :)

2021-04-21 17.10.18.jpg

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Well my bands arrived. Turns out only a 5mm band will fit. The 3mm bands are too small as suspected as it's quite a fiddly job to first fold it over itself and secondly get it over the line clip, but it is doable with the help of a baiting needle. Best of all it seems to work, yet I'm told this is 'bad angling'. :)

2021-04-21 17.10.18.jpg
I never bothered in the end because either the band will snap or slip thus defeating the object or it'll stay put and pull the rod in anyway, give it a go though, 👍👍

Browner

Site Supporter
What am I missing? Why can’t you use the line clip? Never seen or heard of this set up. Whats the advantag?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What am I missing? Why can’t you use the line clip? Never seen or heard of this set up. Whats the advantag?
I'll be honest, I always thought the trick was to use an elastic band or piece of bicycle inner tube when you feel the fish are too big for a line clip. I got this tip off here, but it's a bit fiddly, so I think I'm going to just end up doing it like last time and not bothering with the clip. That is unless people think it's ok to clip up with upper double figure Carp present and just as likely to take your maggot hookbait as Tench. There are quite a few threads on here about it already and quite a few people suggest bait bands.

Browner

Site Supporter
I'll be honest, I always thought the trick was to use an elastic band or piece of bicycle inner tube when you feel the fish are too big for a line clip. I got this tip off here, but it's a bit fiddly, so I think I'm going to just end up doing it like last time and not bothering with the clip. That is unless people think it's ok to clip up with upper double figure Carp present and just as likely to take your maggot hookbait as Tench. There are quite a few threads on here about it already and quite a few people suggest bait bands.
Ok. I understand about the larger carp issue and a line clip. Do you attach the bait band to the line and then around the clip? Don’t think it would work on my reels as the line clip is fairly tight to the reel.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Ok. I understand about the larger carp issue and a line clip. Do you attach the bait band to the line and then around the clip? Don’t think it would work on my reels as the line clip is fairly tight to the reel.
Yeah fold the band over the line (fiddly with small bands) and then put that over the clip, the clip pulls away from the reel enough to get it under on my Preston reel but again it's fiddly. The idea is that the band only breaks when a big fish runs against the clip and not on the cast but I'm not sure it will work that way in practise so if I feel the need to use a clip I might just unclip after the cast and mark the line but I'm more likely to just rely on the rod for accuracy like last time I fished here.

Browner

Site Supporter
I see. Understand. I use Drennan reels and the line clips are tight. The places I fish aren’t commercial so think I‘ll stick with the line clip method, as bream don’t cause to many problems and with a couple of rotations of line on the spool its pretty safe.