Where's Your Spine??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Unless your rods are all custom built for you, try a quick little test.

Take each of your rods without the reel attched and place the butt on a surface where it can roll easily.

Place the palm of one hand on top of the rod near the butt. Place the other palm under the rod near the tip (or as close as you can comfortably reach). Now flex the rod upward with the top hand and roll it a bit with the bottom hand.

When the curved rod "snaps" into a position and resists rolling either way, you will have located the natural spine of the blank.

If your rings are not exactly aligned with the spine (underside - toward the bend) for fixed spool or top side for multiplier, you will have a rod that likely does not cast particularly well and will want to roll in your hand with a nice fish on.

If you want, post back your results and we can discuss how to correct the problem.

And apologies in advance to those here who have seen this topic elsewhere and are bored with it.

Newt Vail

Andy Thatcher

4 nights into a 7 night shift I wish I could tell you Newt !

I have to lock them away when on this stint otherwise temptation get's the better of me and I go anyway and resemble the night of the living dead the next night !

Cheers
Andy

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Been there and done that Andy.

You know, it always amazes me which topics don't draw much response.

I know that most posting or lurking on here own at least one rod and some of us tackle tarts may own several dozen.

I would estimate that at least 1 in 10 is ringed all wrong - excepting any custom built ones which should be right. I only own two made over there and one if them was but 50% seems way too high.

Unless everyone just casts a single time at the beginning of a session and not long distances, and does not catch fish, I wonder why no comments on this which is such an easy problem to correct.

Newt Vail

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Newt,

At first I wasn't quite sure what you meant but having got the gist of it, I've been out to the garage, got my rods out in the dining room and started rolling. The results:

Two Carp rods - appear okay
One feeder rod and a multi-tip - no problems
Float rod - an absolute disaster. The rings end up twisting up the blank in an anti-clockwise manner....

Help icon_smile_shock.gif Dave

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Dave - if your rod is typical, the reel seat is glued on with epoxy and can't be moved without destroying the rod. Therefore, the rings on the butt section have to stay aligned as they are now. Not usually a major problem since the butt section flexes the least.

The remaining section(s) can have the rings removed and replaced in a proper position. Or you can use this as an opportunity to get new rings if you aren't happy with the ones you have.

Easiest would be to take the rod to any shop that does repair. They will have the tools to remove the rings, place them back on properly, seal them, and touch up the rod finish if needed. Shouldn't be expensive. I would imagine any shop that did repairs would know about aligning the rings properly but best make sure.

More fun (to me anyway) would be to do the job yourself. Not expensive as all you will need is a spool of thread (designed for the job), colour sealant if using a non-colourfast thread, finish (to go on after the sealant) and a sharp knife. I would re-wrap all the rings except the tip-top just so the windings matched. The tip-top should be easy enough to re-align by heating the base of the tip-top ring a bit and repositioning it.

If you plan to do it yourself or if you just want more knowledge about how it should be done, there are some very inexpensive books that will give you a step-by-step instruction.

Not sure about UK sources but in the US, Mudhole.com is one of the best sources for material and information I have ever seen. http://www.mudhole.com is the address. They have a nice book for around $7.00 US and all the materials as well. You should be able to get what you need for around $15 (not including the book).

For US orders to the UK, plan on spending about 1 for each $1 and you will have covered shipping, VAT, and so on.

You don't need any fancy pieces to do the wrap. For instance, a great tensioner for the thread is to put the spool in a cup and run the line between the pages of a book. Pile additional books on top until you have the tension you want.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.