Wheres ya car keys

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Been reading an article from greater Manchester Police that says you should go to bed but leave your car keys downstairs, for the simple reason that if someone wants the car they can break in, get the keys and take the car with no danger to people in the house.
My keys are always in my pocket overnight on the bedroom floor. Where do you keep yours ?????

YB

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
We hang all our keys up in the kitchen. I’m not really someone who worries too much about security. If someone broke in they’d have to get past two very protective dogs anyway.

grey

Site Supporter
I leave them in the car so there's no need to break into the house.

Ridiculous advice - keep your keys safe, but don't make it too difficult for them. What happens if I leave the keys downstairs, but they can't find them? Will Manchester Police next suggest I leave a note on the car saying where the keys are for the burglars convenience and my own protection?

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
There was a break in at a work mates neighbours once. He had a flash car and in the middle of the night two guys bootted the front door in. Ran upstairs shouting where are the car keys. Kicked 10bells out of bloke and his wife, eventually found the keys at the side of the bed and drove off in flash car. The owners didn’t get a chance to offer the keys. Before they knew it ,it was all done and dusted.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Mine are usually in the car, but they wouldn't have to break in to get them anyway, as the doors are not locked.

davepellet

Don't think anybody would steal my car if I left it unlocked if I'm honest, same with the wife's... don't see the point of having a posh expensive car, too many people want to nick it, scratch it or race you all the time

my dad however had one of his Subaru Impreza's (he's had 4 in total over the years before switching to Seat Leon Cupra's / FR's) stolen from off the driveway, he'd left the keys in the kitchen, not in sight, but he'd left a small 12" square window open, which was about 8ft off the ground from the outside, they'd climbed on the wheelie bin, & wrenched it as far open as they could, then some stick-boy had squeezed thru the tiny opening & in, forced the house door lock from the inside & they were away

the police found the remains of it a week later in a scrap yard in Rotherham

H T B

Site Supporter
If you have a keyless start car, they recommend leaving your keys in the microwave overnight!!

nejohn

Site Supporter
My Key fob is usually in my pocket as I don't need to take it out to open or start my car as long as I am 0.5metres away it will open and start so I just tend to leave the fob in my pocket and when change trousers it just gets moved over with the rest of the junk I carry around with me.

As an aside the father in law is paranoid about such things and believes everyone is out to steal things from him, as a consequence when he goes on holiday he hides all of his keys around the house in random places. A couple of years a go he went on holiday just after they left Kathy asked me to go round to their house to collect something she had forgotten to pick up. When I got there I found his car on the driveway with all of the windows wide open and it was peeing down. I then proceeded to try to find his car keys, tried all of the usual places and had no luck so tried ringing him ...to late they had already taken off on route to Cuba..!! Nine hours later and a wet car (I did eventually cover it with a sheet but by this time it was soaking) we got hold of him ...the keys were taped to the back of the headboard in one of the bedrooms.....he still hasn't learned his lesson as last time he went away he taped the keys to the lidd of the toilet cistern ....the tape didn't stay sticky for 2 weeks, cost him £200 for a new key fob

Albert H

If you have a keyless fob, you better keep them screened in something metal - because Car thieves don't even need to physically have them to drive off in your Car.

There were about 20 Cars stolen or broken into around my area within a few months last year due to negligence from the Car owners with keyless fobs.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
As an aside the father in law is paranoid about such things and believes everyone is out to steal things from him, as a consequence when he goes on holiday he hides all of his keys around the house in random places. A couple of years a go he went on holiday just after they left Kathy asked me to go round to their house to collect something she had forgotten to pick up. When I got there I found his car on the driveway with all of the windows wide open and it was peeing down...

Went to Lindholme for an MD's match, and when I'd taken my gear out of the car, sat on the tailgate to put my boots on.
It rained heavily for much of the day.
Returning to the car afterwards, I found all the windows open, the seats and carpets soaking.
Nothing was missing.

Then I realised that when I had been bent over tying my laces, my belly had pressed on the key fob in my smock pocket,
opening all the windows for me.
Vorsprung durch Teknik, or what?

bezzer

Anyone with a car which has keyless entry and start, just invest in a Faraday pouch. Stops the 'sophisticated' thieving scumbags from using the radio frequency to open the car and drive off.