where you live

Status
Not open for further replies.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Devon Is the Cream of England's Counties

A NEW survey of the merits of England's counties has put Devon way ahead at the top.

The county was voted by far the best for its quality of life and natural beauty.

At the other end of the scale was Staffordshire, which was described as "poor and blighted".

Devon also beat the rest for the standard of its schools, pubs, weather and council services.

The survey, by Country Life magazine, rated Devon as 72 out of 100 points across 14 categories.

The county scored 10 out of 10 for landscape value and 9 out of 10 for "tranquillity".

It was also given maximum points for its outstanding pubs and the quality of its National Trust sites.

The nearest rivals were Gloucestershire, Cornwall and Dorset - all well down the field on 64 and 63 points.

The worst two counties in England were reckoned to be Staffordshire and Hertfordshire, which scored only 30 points each.

Country Life compiled its survey using statistics from local government, countryside organisations, the Land Registry, the Met Office and even the Good Pub Guide.

The magazine said: "Anyone who knows Devon could have guessed it would do well in this contest.

"Even so, no one could possibly have predicted the county would rub its rivals' faces so deeply in the mud."

The report threw up two major surprises.

Cornwall is well known as the poorest county in England - yet finished joint second.

While Northamptonshire - traditionally a heartland for the hunting and shooting set - was ranked fourth worst.

England's top five counties:

1) Devon
2) Gloucestershire
3) Cornwall
4) Dorset
5) Cumbria

England's worst five counties:

1) Staffordshire
2) Hertfordshire
3) Nottinghamshire
4) Northamptonshire
5) Bedfordshire

Datafile3.jpg

teepee.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Come on then Teepee where did Yorkshire come in the rankings?

AlanP

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Only counties which scored points were put on the list- hence No Yorkshire

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Lid

Obviously fixed mate. Hertfordshire's great, not that I live here or anything like that!!

Lid [:)]

norm

all the rough people live in them places

dont they malc and martin lol lol lol lol lol

Slick

'eyebrows'
I've had some great holidays in Devon, loads to do (without fishing)and a lot milder than the frozen north. The big problem about living there, is it must be hell in the summer months when you cannot go anywhere without being caught up in a five mile traffic jam or finding nowhere to park your car because of all the ****** visitors.
You can't beat the empty northeast for good living standards.

"judge thee not a man by his eyebrows they may be false"

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Geoff

That's cruel, I'm sure that Yorkshire is no lower in this list than Wales are in the World Rugby Rankings surely.

AlanP

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Front page news in stafford is the fact we're the worst of the lot.

Suits me it means no anglers, anti's, burglars, MP's or foriegners will wanna come here [:D]

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
AlanP, the lower Wales are in the Rugby ratings the happier I am.

Geoff

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Yorkshire was'nt entered because it would have been unfair, cos everyone knows yorkshires reyt gud sithy,[:)]

wiv got all sewats in yorkshire,
nice country-side and emerdale-farm, wot else you might ask,
wiv got unemployment, and Bridlington, Lee Saville, we use to have the ripper, wiv got the best anglers, best chippy's, yorkshire puddings, and thes luads more, wiv got the lot![:D]

I wonder what the result would have been if Troggy had been on holiday in Devon at the time of the survey...[:D][:D][:D]

teepee.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:I wonder what the result would have been if Troggy had been on holiday in Devon at the time of the survey

Now the mind is boggling.

Geoff

norm

good sig slick

but i tell you one thing lads them eyebrows are not false

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote: originally posted by a nurvener
I wonder what the result would have been if Troggy had been on holiday in Devon at the time of the survey

Simple mate
They'd have thought King Arthur himself had risen from the grave to reclaim his throne. [:D]

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

TINY

Tiny
We have already been there and nicked it,so you might as well stay in Stafford[:D]

Andy.

Dervaig

What's all this talk of Yorkshire. NO NO NO you don't have the best chippys. I thought Lancashire put you in your place a few years ago in the War of the Roses lol. [B)][B)]
Lancashire la la la, Lancashire la la la.

Dervaig

AndyA

If I remember correctly, God's County ( that's Yorkshire just in case you don't know) came in at No7.

I think the others came in higher due to sympathy vote's [;)]

Aaaah .... soon be fishing

http://aa-computerrescue.cjb.net

The23rdMan

Armchair Angler
I hear no mention of Sunny Worcestershire! Why is this, I ask myself? Afterall, everyone knows the friendliest peeps in the country live here (I heard that on the radio so it must be true). I think it's a yin-yang balance type thingy cos we're blighted with living next door to staffs[;)]

May all your lines be tight ones, and may all your tales be tall ones.

Deano

jonesr

We've just completed the move from ESSEX to Cambridgeshire! Enough said!![:D][:D][:D]

Ron J.

Age isn't everything!experience is!
I INTEND TO LIVE FOR EVER,SO FAR SO GOOD!

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Deano, Worcestershire are 27th out of the 37 counties

Ron, you've gone the right way, Cambridgeshire 19th, Essex 30th,

teepee.

Status
Not open for further replies.