Where you fished today (Part 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
The start of a new thread, 'Where you fished today (Part 9)'.
Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 now add up to 800+ posts ! And in case you've missed them, here are shortcuts to the previous threads:

Part 1

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, Page 5, Page 6, Page 7

Part 2

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 3

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 4

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 5

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 6

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 7

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 8

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

So if you're new and have an hour or three spare take a read of the previous reports and lets continue posting.....

If you wish to include a photo feel free using the 'MyPhoto' but for the enjoyment of others, please crunch/optimize them to reduce your file size to less then 30,000bytes - the smaller the better[:D]

Happy posting[;)]

Peter.
Datafile2.jpg
Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Last edited by a moderator:

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8.00am Sunday picked up Carpbob and took him to Birstall pond. Wanted to show him this well fished venue. Arrived at 8.50am and started fishing. After 15 mins the float dipped and I struck.....nothing even my maggot was gone. Another 45 mins and a nother knock. Nothing again. The church bells on the 1/4 hour are begining to do my head in. Suddenly my float slipped under the water and I strike. My rod bends and then flys back. ( you can`t stop an big Carp on a size 20 to 1lb 4oz bottom when it has decided to go walk about. ). 12.00pm and not another touch. Bob has not even had a bite. He suggests a pond he knows at a farm behind the Gypsy camp on Geldered rd. We set off and get set up there. The rain starts the wind blows, it even pulls my umberella out of the ground. (glad I had guy ropes in) Anyway afer 1/2 hour Bob gets a fish ( a 2" minnow pity he isn`t in the 2003 competition ). So that was it I was not going tyo be water licked here as well, so down to a size 22 and a single red maggot and off I went.......NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA, I was getting frustrated. Thought lets try a white maggot.........Bingo a small roach followed by another and another and then a reasonable size one and to finnish two more. Poor Bob didn`t get anything else apart from very cold. We packed up our tackle absolutely soaked and covered in sleet and snow, frozen to the marrow but happy. We had come out into the cold, we had caught something and a new friendship had been forged thanks to maggotdrowning forums. We shall meet again when I give Bob a lift to the Willows next Sunday and we both said that we hope the weather is not as grim............Still thats fishing for you.......Haydn.

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well today was the day of our 1st round match in this years Angling Times/Van Den Eynde Supercup.
For reasons best known to the Angling Times,this year instead of being drawn against another team from Kent we had been drawn away against Palmers Green Angling Society From North London.

Their 1st choice of venue,The Grand Union Canal at Berkhampstead was unavailable so they switched the tie to the Horseshoe Match Lake at Tylers Common in Essex,A venue that none of us from Hawthorne had seen yet alone fished.

To make matters worse on arrival the match lake was frozen solid,and the match was transfered to 2 ajoining lakes on the venue.[:(!]
Fine you may think except we had been given some very good advise with regard to rigs and bait needed for the match lake where a 12oz fish was considered a big bonus,and were now confronted with 2 lakes supposedly heavily stocked with large Carp,Bream and Tench.[:0]

Well the draw was made and we all made our way to our pegs,and tried to assemble enough kit between us to tackle the pegs we were faced with.
Now can someone please tell me why a commercial fishery that charges 7 a peg can't provide decent paths and solid pegs????????
Almost without exception everyone found themselves sitting in a sea of mud and standing water.[:(!]

The match itself was absolutly DIRE with a howling wind making the temp of +3C feel more like -5C,and making pole fishing all but impossible in most pegs!!!!!!!!1

3 hours into the match and NOBODY had had so much as a bite,and then one of the Palmers Green lads caught a Carp of around a couple of pounds.
Efforts were redoubled,Surely 1 fish would not be enough to win the match?If we could just get 1 fish then we would be in with a chance.

Sure enough with just 10mins to go,Paul Ollerenshaw (our club champ} could be seen very gingerly playing a fish,and while our whole team collectivly held it's breath (and the other team probably willed him to lose it[}:)])up came the landing net with the fish in it.[:D]

Now for the moment of truth, The weigh-in.
With 10 blank sections,and one fish in each of the remaining 2 it was all down to weight.
First to weigh-in was the Palmers Green angler and his carp weighed in at 1lb 15ozs,now across to the other side of the fishery,and Pauls carp was obviously larger and took the scales round to 4lbs 3ozs 8drms.[:D][:D][:D]

Paul and that all important Carp.

It has to be said that Palmers Green are a superb bunch of lads,who despite their obvious dissapointment,shook hands in congratulation and wished us well in further rounds.The whole atmosphere of the match was so friendly that plans are already afoot to invite them down to our neck of the woods sometime in the summer for a days "baggin" [:D].

So that's it,Hawthorne AC are through to the next round.
How will we fare??????
Rest assured i'll keep you all informed.[;)]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Chopper

I was on the Calder and Hebble canal near Wakefield. 10:30 - 3:30.

Teams of four match, 4 sections of 17 anglers.

Shouted time and I fed three lines, dropped in on the first one and after 5 mins I got a tiny perch, it only had one stripe as there wasn't enough room on the tiny thing for any more!

Second drop in, after another 5 mins float went, struck and elastic started tearing out of my pole, I eventually had it tamed and slowly started shipping my pole back. I was just about to break off at my no 4 section to lift the fish up and net it when my elastic shot back in the pole.......pulled out of it for some reason [:(!][:(!]

Only had another 2 tiny fish in the next 3 hours, wind was absolutely terrible, gusting in every direction, I couldn't get a brolly up, it was just too windy and I was sat out in the water on my platform. Rain was lashing down and that turned to hail the size of golf balls! I had walked too far out with my wellies on and they filled with water, I couldn't feel my toes or fingers.......what a terrible day.

In the last hour I managed to put 30+ eyeballs together by fishing a foot deep tight up to a reed bed on the inside. I weighed in 5 1/2 oz and managed 3rd place in my 17 peg section.

Unfortunately my other 3 team mates all blanked in their sections so we have slipped down the league placings and decided to call it a day, as much as I like my team/match fishing I havn't enjoyed any of the matches on this place so won't be fishing the remaining two matches.

Roll on summer...........

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I am glad my pep talk last night worked Peter

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

mookie

mookie
Hi Pete-- Jesus was that a grueller or what !!!!!!! at least you have the honour of going through on such a dire day......congrats mate [^]

Lee thats fishing for ye scrapping for anything with fins....well done to get that amount in such dire weather....[:D]

Hope the willows provides a bit more action next Sunday...[:D][:D]

Cheers all

MOOKSTER...

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Haydn & Bob, 10 out of 10 for effort,[:)]

Peter, good result (top man Paul) [;)], here's to a home draw and a few more fish![:)]

LEE, you've just reminded me why i packed up winter leagues,[:(]

teepee.

Last edited:

norm

lee mate
fish with us
we catch balls all (lol)
but have one hell of a laugh

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
thanks teepee we appreciate that.It was a gruller and to do it for PLEASURE not a match means we should deffinatly be certified LOL.....Haydn.

G

Nice picter of the mud Peter, pity about the fishing being so hard mate,,

Good reports lads,

catch me if u can
Andy,

carpbob3

The reason i never caught owt was coz the fish were frightened by Haydns bank robbers mask......Shall i bring the straight jackets for sunday lads ?

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
OOOER thays not nice I was only keeping me ears warm...LOL

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
my 1st trip fishing for 10 yrs.

got up nice and early this morning for the 1st fishing session in ten years.
picked my mate up around 7.45am and set off to newton aycliffes club pond, got there around 8.30 and went for a look round to pick a couple of swims we fancied, as we got out of car we noticed a few ducks walking on the water, frozen pond[:(].
anyway walked round to the far side and found a few swims the had thawed out abit so we went and got out gear from car.
got set up about 30 mins later and made my 1st cast, the wind was blowing hard and there was a big ripple on water making it hard to see the float and adjusted it so more orange tip was showing.
couple of casts and waiting then my mate shouts just missed a bite there look at me maggots, so i goes over seen his mangled maggots and thought were gonna get something here today.
back at my rod i reeled in and maggots had been ripped to bits, 1 red 1 white on me hook and back in the same area, few maggots fed then float took off, struck into it and yes ive got my 1st fish on, rod bending and fish pulling it was great like a kid at christmas with a big smile on my face got it in and it was a roach about 7inch long.

all the cold feeling had gone now i was buzzing, got maggots on hook again and back in same area again, couple of mins later me mate rings my mobile so i walk to top of bank and im telling him ive just got a nice roach when me float goes under then back up, fone in my pocket mate still on i get to my rod and it goes again, another roach of same size as other, get in i thought as i cast out again, my mate still not had one.
still thinking of the 2 i just had i thought i'll have a fag now as ya deserve it hahaha just about to light it and bang floats gone again, feels bigger and as i get it in it was more or less same size as others, my mate is sick now and i feel abit guilty.
bailiff comes round for our money and as we sort pennys out my mate gets a roach about same size as mine (same fish ? hahaha)
anyway he's happy now and says i want another 3 to beat ya haha.
i miss 2 more bites as my mate pulls another roach out with a smile on his face saying im catching ya up.
got to about 12pm and we decided to call it a day.
back in car i said when we set off i wud have been happy with a few bites so i was over the moon with 3 nice roach.
by time we had left there were a few regulars on the pond who hadnt caught anything so i was pleased with me and my mate.

roll on next week [:D][:D][:D]

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well Done Tony.
Welcome back mate. [:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

martin.

Account Locked
well done hopper
i wasnt going to go seriously today as i had a phone call thur night to say thew to lads from north west wouldnt be able to make itso i went on patrol checking tickets about 1100
with just a cheap tele 4m whip a few pinkies and a pike rod.
well there was a few on the water i think theve all learnt i go along regular as they had books.
well one of the locals colin burton had heard about my tench & sat next to clough bridge & was fishing worm over chopped worm he didnt have any casters well he ended up with 6 tench best 5lb 4lb bream & hybred about 1lb totalabout 27lb

i had an 1hr down swan with whip for 10 roach to 8oz & 20+ gudgeon

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Last edited by a moderator:

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
v nice fish there.

thanx for the well done lads, i can still feel the pull on the rod hahaha, why did i stop? ive been thinking this for awhile and the answer is football and lasses, not again like[:D].

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

carpbob3

Willows 9th Feb

A total of 13 turned up for todays event including 2 guests. As the last arrived at 9am the rained stopped and stayed off for the whole match and the wind was quite mild. At 10am we started and no sooner had we started Martin (guest) was the first one in (i dont think his float had hit the water at that point)resulting in a nice small carp Next in was Malcolm (MRC) on peg 7 a carp come to hand both Martin and Malcolm had a steady run of fish for the next hour or so, during this Kyle(guest & a jn at that) had his first of many small carp to come. For the rest it was slow going although some did start getting the odd bite now and again. I even mangaged a small (VERY VERY Small) roach. By Mid-day most had caught something for the net except for Norm (from WALES) but it was not long before he brought a roach to hand. At the end of the day this was the outcome.
1st MRC with 6lB mixed bag
2nd Martin --- 5lb 10oz mixed bag
3rd Teepee --- 3lb 6oz
4th Bradley Lad 2lb 9oz
5th Dave 2lb 2oz
6th Hull Tyke 1lb 13oz
7th Kyle 1lb 5oz
8th Stu 1lb 2oz
9th Mr Fish 12oz
9th Mookie 12oz
10th Haydn 9oz
11th Norm 5oz (estimated)
12th Carpbob3 1oz (estimated)
Both the estimated had returned the fish to the pond in disgust (lol)
All in All a good day out for us all along with the banter (Directed at the WELSH lad. I must add that STU tried in vain at two attempts of bringing the ISLAND closer to him losing 2 rigs for trying......

Hope to do it again in the near future at another venue
Thanks to all that turned up and a good effort lads.....
BOB (carpless Bob[xx(]

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
7am in the "Little Thief" for brekky,looking out of the windows at the driving wind & rain [:(] It's times like this you start to question your sanity.

Arriving in the car park at Lavender Farm,there were 14 other lunatics assembled to fish the Match lake,a rather exposed "snake" venue.

Into the drawbag and 15 sticks to my already wet hand,and after walking round i'm thanking my lucky stars that at least the wind is coming from behind me.

This peg is a flyer in Summer,owing to the island at 12mtrs but has No winter form.[:(]

Out at 12mtrs nothing was having it despite a softly softly approach,and with the wind vering around constantly presentation was difficult to say the least.Plumbing around earlier i had noticed that the deepest part of the swim was at only 3mtrs and had set up a dead depth rig for this,and with nothing at 12mtrs after 2 hours this was the line i switched to.

The recent cold weather had taken a lot of colour out off the water.but with a squatt cup i trickled in 5 maggots and a pinch of fishmeal every 5mins,and after 30 mins the float buried and a small carp of about 1lb was netted.[:)]

for the next couple of hours i managed to get another 14 upto about 3lbs and then the line dried up.[:(] For the last hour try as i may i couldn't buy another bite.

At the end i managed to put 31lbs on the scales,and was comfortably in first place,right up till the final 2 pegs were weighed in and a 38lbs & 50lbs were put on the scales.[:(]
Still no complaints,given that nobody near me had got within 20lbs of my weight,and at least i managed to pick up some coin to cover expenses.[:)]

+ another couple of pics for the fishing race.[:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Last edited:
G

The willows meeting well done to you all, mookie another victory for you over norm mate [;)][;)].

Peter sounds like a good day, at least you got some dosh out of it mate, [;)][;)]

catch me if u can
Andy,

Status
Not open for further replies.