Where you fished today (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi everyone,

The start of a new thread, 'Where you fished today (Part 3)' as Part 1 has now reached over 200 posts, and Part 2 ninety posts - so here we go - Part 3
Keep 'em coming [:)]

Here are links to the previous threads:

Part 1

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7

Part 2

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

So if you're new and have an hour or two spare take a read of the previous reports and lets continue posting..... thumbsup.gif

Dave

Last edited:
G

Dave an hour or two, is that just for Trev's reports(LoL)
See you at Malcs Trev, safe journey mate

Andy
bear1.gif
i'm going fishing

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Saturday 18th May.
Clattercote Reservoir,Banbury.

Keith Culley Memorial Match.

This is a match organised by the Fishing Magic website to commemerate one of their posters who sadly passed away a couple of years ago,As he was an avid "pole" man it is a float only match.
The whole thing is conducted in a very light hearted manner with much p#ss taking and good hearted banter,the weather was none to kind to us with wind and showers and a noticable drop in temperature after the last two glorious days (the sun came out as we packed up)

MY MATCH?????????? HAD A TROGG!!!!!!!!

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Edited by - peter on 19 May 2002 8:30:16 PM

Del-J

' Victor '
MY MATCH?????????? HAD A TROGG!!!!!!!!

C'mon Peter you could not have done that badly I'm sure. jump.gif

Del.

Not fishing? Then talk to your friends on MDs.

Last edited by a moderator:

darryl

fished trent and mersey canel today 19th may.nice colour blossom on the top birds singing butterfly`s fluttring and BLOODY ANT`S more bite`s on me than on my pc.any way catch consisted of 5 bream on meat 1carp of 12lb on meat,8lb`s of bit`s on caster and maggot`s in between 32 boat`s and the tour of derbyshire mountain bike ride but the best moment of the day was when one of them had a puncture and 3 rode into him ha ha ha cheers darryl

work`s for them who can`t fish

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
From Ray

Day 2. bolingy lake.

Met malc + geoff at 7:45 outside the tackle shop, went in to get the keys ( bolingy is offsite and you get a key for the gates to let ya self in) we were told no keys until 8:00, we stood outside having a fag and a natter when out walks a guy with a bolingy key in his hand along with a map of directions??
At 8:00 we got the keys and headed off, 15 minutes later we were looking at the lake. The sun was shining, the water looked good. We selected our pegs and proceeded to set up.

After plumbing around I picked a flat spot 7mtrs out at the bottom of a slope that was 5ft deep.
I set up a g float on a .16 line to a .15 btm with a size 16 kammasan animal hook. I tipped in a pole pot of pellets mixed with a few casters and bits of meat and proceeded to set up my margin line.
Just to my left was a small clump of reeds, 18 of water, set up a dibber float on a .17 line to a .16 btm with a size 14 nu hook ( more like a size 12 cos of the long shank) in went a handful of pellets and a ball of riddled meat.

Picked up my 7 mtr rig, baited the hook with double caster in it went, bite straight away = missed it, then another bite and another miss, this went on for about 6 bites, definite bites but couldnt hit them, then I got one, small ( lb) mirror carp, I put a small cube of meat on the hook but still got the same problems,
they were just nibbling the bait, malc informed me that he was getting similar fish and was using 2 tiny pieces of meat on the hook.
2 bits of meat went in and a small mirror came out followed by another one. I then swapped over to my margin rig, baited up with a chunk of catmeat and lowered it in followed by a small ball of meat. After hour without any movement my float bobbed a bit then sailed away, I didnt need to strike as my elastic was soon being pulled out of my pole, soon a 6lb mirror carp was in my net.
On went another piece of meat, in went a small ball of feed meat and I sat and waited, after hour, nothing, no movement whatsoever.
In went another ball of meat and I changed over to my 7 mtr line, out went pot of pellets and casters, double caster on the hook, time for some roach I thought, shot moved so that my casters just fell through the water and out it went, no bites until my casters settled on the bottom, then only the same nibble bites off the small mirrors, this went on for about doz casts, I put 2 small bits of meat on the hook and shortly after had another small mirror then another.
Back over to the margin rig. Chunk of meat on the hook, small ball of meat chucked in, soon I was into another nice fish, an 8lb mirror was soon in my net. Rebaited with meat and put in again, nothing, no movement in the swim. I decided it was time for a brew, fag and a wander to see malc and geoff, I put in a handful of pellets with a small ball of meat, grabbed my flask and fag and went for a natter.
Malc was catching steadily and geoff had got a whopper (he will tell ya himself) after a natter I went back and dropped in again with a chunk of catmeat, after about 15 mins I saw the reeds moving, soon my float was bobbing around before again sliding away, this time a 7lb common was mine.
This was to be my way for the rest of the session, put in some feed, give time for a fish to find it and then hopefully catch it.
Finished up with 4 small mirror carp, mirrors of 5lb, 6lb, 8lb and 8.10lb and a common of 7lb. Not quite the sport I had anticipated as last year geoff and myself enjoyed some amazing fishing but still an enjoyable day (and nobody did a trogg)

By the end of the session we had noticed that the lake has now been fenced off (using chicken wire) to form in effect 3 lakes, we also found out that the lake had been drained and restocked (for the festivals) with approx 200lb of fish per swim.
I cannot help but wonder where have the roach, tench and big carp gone have they been used to stock the new lakes at w/acres?? Why has the lake been split into 3?? Surely if you are good enough to get to the festivals you must be good enough
To draw the fish into your swim and not need lots of small stockies fenced in??
Malc went for a walk around the lake during the day and quite a few people were struggling to catch, it appears to me that they have restocked with the small mirrors only for the festivals???

Day 3 sycamore lake.

Tues morning saw thunder and lightning, high winds, rain, generally not a nice day. Spent the day sorting out tackle and bait and bits and bobs.
At about 4:00 the rain etc eased off , 5 mins later I was standing on the very muddy banks of the lake.
The wind made it nears impossible to hold a pole at 6 mtrs let alone 13 mtrs to an island. As I was only going to get a couple of hours in I decided on just 1 margin line (good chance to try out my margin pole).
Just to my right was a big patch of reeds, plumbing up I found 3 ft of water, set up with a g float on a .16 line to a .14 bottom with a size 18 animal hook.
Fed 1 pot of pellets mixed with some casters and a few grains of corn, double caster on the hook and in it went.
First cast brought me a skimmer of about lb, then another and a few more, loose feeding doz casters every cast I caught steadily, skimmers to a lb, roach to a lb and a couple of small perch, I changed my hookbait to a single grain of corn and as soon as it settled my float tore off in the direction of the next lake, elastic just kept going, then twang, it all came back.
Next cast again with corn on the hook saw my float dip slightly a couple of times then slowly slide away, a lift on my pole again saw my elastic shooting out, this time I managed to turn the fish and the bring it under control, I caught a glimpse of an orange flash under the water, some kind of koi I thought, a few minutes later I was slipping my net under a 2lb golden tench, cool, the only other golden tench I have caught have only been about lb each and I must say it was a nice fish, lovely colour.

In again went doz casters followed by my hookbait, away went my float, out came my elastic, twang back in it came.
I changed my hook for a size 16 (animal) and tried again, this time out went my elastic but this time it just kept going after a good ole scrap I was soon netting an 8.4lb common carp, with the rain getting heavier and the wind getting stronger I decided on one last cast, again my float dipped a few times then sailed away, this time I got myself an 8.8lb mirror. Time to pack up as the weather was now getting worse.
Finished off with approx 2 doz skimmers, roach and perch, mirror carp of 8.8lb , common of 8.4lb and a golden tench of 2lb. Most enjoyable evening (except for weather) and again, didnt do a trogg.

Day 4 python lake.

To be continued later

ray

Jan and myself got to python at about 12:00 to find geoff already fishing (he had been there for hours) we set up in the swims next to him.
Set up as follows, margin swim to my left infront of a reed bed, 3ft deep, small float on .14 line to a .12 btm with a size 18 hook (animal) chucked in a small ball senses gold g/bait mixed with a few pellets, casters and grains of corn then left it while I set up a rig at 8mtrs.
The 8 mtr rig was a similar set up only in 5ft of water, in went a pole pot of pellets mixed with casters.
I decided to fish this line for hour while I loose fed my margin swim with a few casters every minute, On the hook went double caster and in it went, seconds later my float dipped and a tench was soon in my net, next cast resulted in a skimmer, then another, I was continually feeding doz casters into my margin swim (every minute) and by now I could see the roach queuing up for them so on went a couple of casters and rig was lowered in, my float didnt even settle as a roach grabbed my bait as soon as it hit the water, this went on every cast, feed 6 casters pull out a roach, I lost count of how many as they were still coming every cast, I put a piece of corn on the hook (soaked in scopex) and hey presto my next fish was a tench, still loose feeding casters I carried on with corn, over the next couple of hours I had got myself plenty of roach, perch (yes on corn) tench, cruicians (up to 1lb) and some mirror carp (which were 2/3lb, and looked like small footballs).
During this time malc had arrived (and was being shown up by his daughter) , jan was catching steadily but her fish were of a bigger stamp, she was using 2 pieces of corn and landed some pretty impressive tench (upto 4lb).
This continued for the rest of the session, almost a fish a chuck until 6:30 when we decided it was time to pack up as the wind was getting up a bit.
Finished up with 60+ fish, from 6oz up to 3lb, jan finished up with 30+ fish from 6oz up to 4lb. All in, a most enjoyable day (and yet again nobody did a trogg).

true anglers leave clean banks
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
And peeps, you will notice from all the posts on the Cornwall trip, nobody did a TROGG

We leave those for the man himself, and Peter.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

Careful,we're watching nono.gif

Edited by - peter on 20 May 2002 7:46:21 PM

shagga

Hi...enjoying the whiteacres reports as I fished my first festival there about 5 weeks ago. The reason that Bolingey was fenced off is because all the fish would congregate around the island and those that drew the "arms" had no chance of winning and would often blank. My experience at Bolingey was similar with definite bites that were difficult to hit...I found that the key was to leave all the bristle showing which stopped me striking at the dinks. If you do any more reports from Whiteacres I'd be interested to know what pegs you fish. Good luck for the rest of your visit.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Shagga,

On Sunday we fished pegs 44 to 46, around the point and on Thursday pegs 27 to 29, from the bridge down one of the arms.

I cannot see how fencing the lake off makes it fairer. The fish will still shoal up near the islands, in fact by the bridge there was quite a shoal of fish, both sides of the netting.

I was told that the fenced off section round the Islands had much the better stamp of carp in them, and on the Thursday that area caught the most fish by far.

I have been fishing at Bolingey for a number of years and have caught fish all over the lake. But then I am only a pleasure angler so my enjoyment does not seem to matter. I, and a few more anglers, will be voting with their wallets and giving W/A a miss.

All the press releases over the last nine months have been about the 4 new lakes at Whiteacres and how they would be open this spring, with an access road to the lakes. I do not see any of them opening until next Spring. Still they have got plenty of fish, mainly from Bolingey I reckon.

On Python we fished pegs 29 to 32. Jennys I am not too sure about, and Malc can tell you what pegs he drew for the matches.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

Oerrie

hi iwent fishing at the vaaldam in south africa the other day fishing for carp what i used was chicken feed with some flower and one cup of custard powder on my hooks i used some dough made out of flower and sprite i would like to try and catch carp with maggots is it a good bait for carp or not and can someone tell me how to breed my own maggots please thanx

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Day 5 from Ray

Day 5 gwinear lake

Met up with geoff at 6:30, made our way to gwinear lake (about 10 mins away) it was a lovely day, plenty of sunshine, a little breezy but nice.
On arrival we picked a couple of pegs in a sort of bay, to my left was a tree overhanging the water, thats gonna be my margin swim I thought.
After plumbing around I found 3ft of water under the tree and at 10 mtrs I found the bottom of a slope giving me 6ft of water.
10 mtr rig, 1g float to .16 line straight through to a size 16 hook (animal), in went a pot of riddled meat with a few added casters.
Margin rig, small Tyson float to a .17 line straight through to a size 14 hook, in went a handful of pellets, a ball of meat, a few casters and grains of corn.
I put a small cube of meat on the 10mtr rig and lowered it in, fish were there, bubbles were coming up, the water was fizzing but no sign of a bite, after a while I rebaited with double caster, there was still fish activity in my swim but again no bites?, tried corn, small bits of meat, big bits of meat, went deeper (up to 6 on the bottom), shallower, tried allkinds but could not get a bite. Changed rigs to a lighter one with a size 18 hook, started getting bites but only sharp dips, nothing to strike at (geoff by this time was getting a few) again went through the various baits/combinations, different depths but could still only get sharp little dips on the float.
Time for a change, I had been feeding my margin swim every hour while I had been out at 10 mtrs alternating between a small ball of meat and a few loose fed casters, on to my hook went a piece of meat, pushed my pole tip under the tree to get my bait in place and then waited, nothing, no dips, knocks, bubbles, nothing. Time for a wander to geoffs peg, after a natter, brew and fag (and being told that a trogg was not an option) I went back and started again.
With caster on the hook I fed doz casters and lowered my bait in after them, hehe no trogg, I swung in a little roach followed by a few more then a few perch, then just as I was getting into it my float shot off towards the other end of the lake.

Before I continue, I must say that whilst at w/acres I was trying out my new margin pole with hydro elastic in (freebie).

The elastic kept going and going and going then it bottomed out and ping, gone, ( golly gosh I said) still at least I had gotten a bite off a biggie, in again went doz casters, double caster on the hook, a while later it happened again, this time as the fish tore off I really lent into it, threw my pole tip under the water and held on, it turned the fish into open water and I knew it would be mine, I was soon slipping my net under a 10lb mirror carp.
That was my only carp of the day but I did carry on catching a few more roach and perch (and a gudgeon)

Not many fish but again very enjoyable, and no trogg.

Ray
true anglers leave clean banks
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote - ( golly gosh I said)

sorry Ray,

Those weren't the words I heard, but then this is a family friendly board.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

Gray Catchpole

Hazel Court, SE Llysworney, Nr Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan 21/05/02

well what a day, we didnt arive untill around 10:30, but intended to stay till dark and gary and myself where going for some ghost carp, and golden rudd.

Gary as usual set up his feeder rod, inline maggot feeder to a 14" 4lb size12 hook, he also borrowed one of our 5m whips for the rudd.

i opted for a groundbait feeder using Crazy black from sensas, loop method, and a kamasan size 12 hair rig 4lb hooklenth of 18" and for bait i used one peice of chicken mash and one peice of corn.

i also set up a float rod, light crystal waggler, to a 0.18 hooklenth and a size 16 hook. with a single corn.

we both started catching some nice rudd, on the float set ups, but the feeders where very lifeless, i had a nice tench of around 2lb, but that was it for my feeder all day.

i had been fishing a ledge on the float all day, and catching some really nice rudd, but needed a cuppa, so i brought the float in about two foot from my rod tip, poured a drink and rolled a ciggy, i looked up at the float, and saw it rise slowly, then with no speed began to drift off, by this time tea and tobacco where flying about every where as i pulled into the fish, now, today for the first time in my life i chose to use the clutch, and boy was i glad, this fish just went and went, not fast, but slow very methodical, and there was nothing i could do to stop it, after around fifteen mins, the fish started to circle in front of me, and although i couldnt see it, i knew it wouldnt be long before it was in the net, at that second it decided to shoot off to the right into a small bed of lillys, and there it sat, then, nothing, no tugs bangs nothing, i was heart broken, i took the preasure off, but still nothing, then i walked to the other side of the lillys, and droped and increased the preasure, but still nothing, gary just looked at me, and walked back to his swim, and with that the lillys exploded and the rod was nearly pulled from my hand, i called gary back, now i was in real trouble the fish was in a corner beetween two lilly beds, i needed to get the fish out in the open, and after a little help it headed for the centre of the pond, after what seemed hours, we had our first glimps of the fish, i said to gary, if i land this i think its going to beat my record, by this time, nearly 45 mins had past, my arms felt as though ide been trying to stop Elton Murphy in his rally car, as im writing this my forarms are really aching, five times i had the fish on the srface, and each time gary nearly had it, it shot off again, on the sixth time, gary scooped and the fish was ours, all seventeen pounds of it, i was over the moon, gigling like a big girls blouse, i had beaten my personal best, 17lb spot on.

Datafile2.jpg

later on, Gary and myself where having a bit of a competition going to see how many rudd we could catch, we had some really nice fish alot of them where hand and a half size really pretty, brilliand red and orange, by this time it was pouring down with rain, and as i had my brolly up i couldnt see gary, but heard him say AT LAST , i said you in, yes mate was the reply, he said its not a big fish, i think its a tench, a brief battle ensued and and the fish surfaced, it was indeed a tench, but what a tench, again both of us gigling like girls, i landed the fish for him, a wonderfull 6lber, gary will tell you all about it later.

Datafile2.jpg

i also managed a ghost carp of about 6lb, and a lovely golden tench

Datafile2.jpg

Two personal bests in one day, and some lovely fishing, and to be honest the place isnt fishing to frantically at the moment, this place has real potential, i like it alot.

Gray

MALC

Well done Gray n Gary the fish look great and the smiles say it all.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com bounce.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Gray, Gary,

Well done and a cracking report!
Great Pics too!
Hell , perhaps we'll have to get Dai to organise a Fish-in on home territory after all!

Keep 'em coming lads!

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Nice fish Gray and Gary, nice report also, I havent fished Hazel Court for a little while Have to give it a go soon me thinks.

Trev you say the word and I will sort something out, anytime

Dai Fish

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Gray & Gary,
Congratulations on your new PB's.Have to sat that all the fish seem to be in cracking nick.
That Golden Tench whilst not the biggest is quite simply stunning!!

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Gray Catchpole

cheers chaps,
peter, the guys that run this place do a fantastic job of looking after the fish, they have a healing pond and tank that is used on any fish that has any markings cuts or anything you may think could be wrong, you just go and see them and they check the fish out, and take the neccasary action.

its not the bigest fishery ive fished, infact i think its the second smallest, it has three ponds on one level, and a match pond slightly above, but it really is a nice place to be, on a freezing cold rainy day :D

Dai, you can count on me if you need any helps sorting out a fish-in.

Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.