Where Would We Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Where would we be without the internet and angling boards in particular?

In my case, I first learned you could actually fish for carp on purpose. I stumbled upon a carp site while looking for catfishing information. Trust me - In the US there are huge numbers of folks who don't know anything at all about fishing for carp. I had been one for 56 years and an angler for 54 of those years.

Also, Trev will be the 4rd Brit I will have had the pleasure of meeting and fishing with when he comes in May. No chance at all of doing that in pre-net days.

From the looks of things, I'd have to say you folks meet lots of interesting fellow-anglers and do the occasional fish-in that wouldn't have happened if we were internet-less.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Couldnt agree more Newt!
(I thought I was the 3th? but I'll settle for 4rd lol)

In the early 80's I spent a lot of time talking on the illegal CB Radio!
Had hundreds of contacts on the air and actually swapped visits several times with a Brittany family in France.
1 Memorable Xmas as well!

We used to send each other QSL cards, a term borrowed from the real Hams (Licensed Amateur Radio Operators)
These were proof of contact cards, and with them we would send gifts,postcards of our area etc.

My ex-wife retained (with eveything else moveable lol) a jewellry case depicting the 4 Presidents on Mount Rushmore from 1 US contact.

They made it legal, spoilt everything and we all drifted apart.

We even had a local club that used to have the call sign Tango Hotel (for Tally Ho, synonymous to the world with Leicestershires Quorn Hunt, which County I lived in at the time) and every thursday, we'd meet for a pint to swap contacts, info etc.

The Net has brought back to me those opportunities to get more from my interest than I possibly could alone and to learn far quicker from shared experience.
Furthermore, I have through the net, met and enjoyed great company, made new friends and probably pissed more people off quicker with my opinions, than I could in a month of sundays without these forums lol

Communication is the name of the game and pray God, through increased communication, expanded ideas and seeing other peoples views, teaching or learning from them, that herein lies mans salvation from the ignorance of prejudice.
I dont know what I would be doing Newt!, but I believe I would be poorer without this Net.

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev ape.gif I do NOT BELIEVE it

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev,

strange how two people of the same age went through the same crazes all be it separated by hundreds of ,iles.

I was also a CB freak (when it was illegal). I think legality spoilt the fun at cocking a snook at the law. (i haven't said that expression in a long time)

It is thanks to Ray of Skelmersdale I even started using angling sites on the net and thank goodness I did. The past 6 months have been a pleasure and the icing on the cake will be today.

I wish I could get over my dread and get on a plane, then America would see me, but freefall in an airpocket and a broken limb have put me off flying forever, but Newt if you ever get to the UK there will be a "Welcome in the Hillside" for you. (Until I move to Spain that is)

Regards

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trev - 4th only because one came equiped with a wife who also went fishing so I do count her. However, you will hold the duration record by a good margin. And I am counting down the days.

Geoff P - Spain would be a place I'd love to get back to. Spent a little time there in the mid '60s but my tour was cut short when Viet Nam heated up. Love to get back there and do some fishing for those huge Wels.

And I remember the CB thing well. That was lots of fun.

Newt Vail

martin.

Account Locked
hi all
I only started on the net in jan 2002 after we got our daughter a new computer & i took charge of her old one . But since then there is only one site iever go on the the MDs.
I have made a good number of new friends & even been privalidged to meet some of these in person & hope to meet a lot more in future.
through this site I have learnt new ideas & I hope others have learnt from me .
Ive noticed that quite a few of us mature(OLDER) MDs despite our different locations & backgrounds have alot in common apart from
angling .
all i can say is the net is one of the better things that ive found
& this site is THE SITE to be on all it can do is grow & GROW
we have younger members jioning all the time so that must say something
I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to admin for this

tight lines.
martin.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Sorry NEWT,
Wasnt serious about numbers,
little joke!
Check your 1st (or should I say 1nd?) post!

4rd? not 4th lol, thats why I put 3th not 3rd

be putting 2 u's in colouur next!

Trev

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Got me, you did there Trev. LOL. My brain registered what it expected rather than what the eyes saw. I looked back though and you caught it.

Martin - guess I got a slightly sooner start with the computer thing than you did then. Summer of '63 for me. Darned thing took the whole of a very large room and you put punch cards in, waited a bit, and got printed results. First modem conversations I had (much later than that) were at 110 baud (tty). To give an idea, you can easily read the text as it arrives until the speed gets up around 1200 baud. That is why all the smilie things like :) got started. Anything to save a couple fo characters. Much better these days I think.

Newt Vail

Del-J

' Victor '
As another mature MD if not the most, I've just got to go along with what has already been said.
My stepson(he's a canny lad) gave me this PC for my birthday last year(told you he's a canny lad) and as I get less active I spend more and more time on the net. I don't know what I would do without it.
When I first got the PC I hadn't a clue about them (quiet Andy) nono.gif nono.gif it has proved to me your never to old to learn.

DJ.gif
Be lucky,
Del.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Got my first PC about 18 months ago,and it opened up a whole new world,dabbled surfed and loitered around a few forums for a few months.Stumbled across Maggotdrowning.com last September and ventured in.
I was immediatly struck with how user friendly the site & forum were, lacking the cliques and backbiting that are common on others,
It's been great fun watching it grow and long may it continue to do so.
If it wasn't for this site i certainly wouldn't have been at Izzack's yesterday (30th March)enjoying a great day out.
The whole day just showed why Maggotdrowning goes on getting better & better.
Thank You All.
(It's you the posters that make this the site it is.)

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cheers Martin,

but it is the members that make the site what it is, we just put the foundations there to build on.

Regards to you all, Dave

martin.

Account Locked
dave
you deserve the credit you started it the rest of us are just doing our bit .
but every one deserves some credit this site is the best because everyone thinks of others enjoyment & not themselves beer-toast1.gif

tight lines.
martin.

Larry

Lazarus
yeh ive been on the net just over 3yrs now been on all the angling sites got my nose bitten off on a few, by the rottweiler's on them maggotdrowners is the ist site i click on every night in go online has far as i'm concerned it;s best fishing site the friendliest ,no back biting, everyone can give &take a joke with out malice &i think that comes from dave&stu's friendly northern laid back, everybodys welcome approach.like peter i 'd been logged on to the site for age's before i decided to take an active role.Keep up the good work dave&stu your beginning to reap the harvest of well sown seed's in good ground.

Cheer's Larry

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Couldn't agree more Larry,also with Martins comments and the others,(but don't apply for a written testament to the following)
Halford's Repair Centre
Stafford
especially not on April 1st ROFLMAO!
Yes, Newt, the Net is great, given the right environment and you are the site expert, so tell me anywhere that produces posts, pictures and get togethers like this one!
AND of course , it's like any successful army, corporation or enterprise, all down to moral and leadership!
So thanks again Dave and Stu, cos the net can also be flat lonely and uninspiring, where cosy cliques rule the day!
Thankfully here all are welcome and all can share the fun and if you dont agree, then Dave will send round Big Stu and Big Al to convince you LOL

Cheers

Trev

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Originally posted by Newt
"Where would we be without the internet and angling boards in particular?"

I'd be bloody fishing

Gotta admit though i have made some damn good friends through the Net , even rednecks like Newt & hillbillys like Todd (MTPinVA)
It seems like years ago that i sent an american i'd never met some Big S lures because he'd seen them mentioned on an angling site & wanted to know what they were like.

A while later a package arrived for me with a "little" something in it for myself & some things to get my little girl started on fishing, It was her first rod, snoopy complete with reel,line & float.

I have come to think of the man who sent total strangers such lovely gifts as a close friend, who is he well you all know him as Newt.

I have made many friends through the forums i post on & have had many wonderful gifts given to me by fellow anglers like Newt & Esox (plus Steve Randles & Mike Waterman who gave me tackle for my lads) unfortunetly some of the people who helped me out no longer count me as a friend but i still thank them for their help.

The internet is a wonderful thing it has shown us just how small the world really is, we can now talk to people in "real" time, something that would normally have taken a week or two by letter or cost a small fortune by phone, now there is no "great wide world" just the world wide web & its getting wider every day.

The best part of something like this is the simple fact that more & more anglers are "logging on" & while they do we will be able to communicate at speeds which will help our sport to survive for centuarys by using sites like Md for infomation, help, & of course organising "fish-ins", if you need proof just take a look at Saturday, people who only knew each other from a PC monitor are now no longer "virtual" friends but REAL friends & thats what makes this invention & this site Great.

Long live the Net & MD (oh yeah & long live the Mods, hopefully)

Alan
You've just been moderated

Edited by - Trogg on 01 April 2002 01:59:34 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.