Where to start?

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I was going through Google maps earlier looking for potential venues I hadn't tried. About 20mins drive away there is a camping site with 3 lakes on the complex, one small one and two of around 6 acres each. The normal thing is for the lakes to be for the benefit of the campers and not open to anyone else, but I thought I would ask anyway.
To my surprise, I was invited to fish them whenever I liked, but, even more surprising, it was all free.
I have no idea what is in there, but hope to find out tomorrow morning. I am expecting roach, carp and skimmers/bream, with a bonus of tench and maybe perch.
How would you approach it?

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Without knowing what's in it or if its fished regularly I'd go with natural baits, maggots/worm, maybe some bread if campers feed ducks. Maybe a few pellets being fed on a separate swim and try periodically over it.

ATTICUS FINCH

Site Supporter
I would love the chance to fish a new venue for free ,and my approach not knowing what you are likely to catch would be to do a prebaiting session and see what happens. If you can do three sessions and fish the fourth day the results should show up what is available to catch for future trips

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I managed to make it to the lakes for a few hours today. It was cool and overcast for a change.
Started off with maggot feeder, but the quiver tip refused to quiver.
Tried maggot on the pole at 10m and was soon catching roach, from tiny up to 4oz
There were carp crashing around all over the lake so I tried a gb feeder with corn, with no interest, so changed to a method feeder with 8mm pellet. After 5 minutes the rod almost disappeared into the lake, with the first carp. It was mental, trying to get into submerged roots and then a submerged bush. After a few minutes it was in the net and I couldn't believe it was only about 4lb of slim streamlined common. Over the next two hours I hooked another seven, losing one to the bush and two to the roots. I couldn't do anything with them.
I don't know if there is any such thing as wild carp anymore, but if there is, these are they. All slim, muscled commons and not a bloated belly between them :D
So, roach and carp, to be expected, but I think that there is more exploration to come.
The lake
lake1.png

Sportsman

Site Supporter
It was all over the place. I am pretty sure it was a gravel pit, so it is going to take some effort to map a few swims out. Will take marker rod next time.
Bottom seemed clean all over.