Where to start on a match lake

smiffy

Site Supporter
Aside from chefster’s advice,which is probably what I would do, I’d make sure to have some maggots. Not much will refuse a maggot. Just getting bites is what can give you confidence to move onto other baits and methods. Maggots should get you a bite or two👍

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Aside from chefster’s advice,which is probably what I would do, I’d make sure to have some maggots. Not much will refuse a maggot. Just getting bites is what can give you confidence to move onto other baits and methods. Maggots should get you a bite or two👍
Id personally only use maggots and bread (as I put in my original post)in ice cold temperatures, pellets aren’t very effective in the situation described at low temperatures

smiffy

Site Supporter
Id personally only use maggots and bread (as I put in my original post)in ice cold temperatures, pellets aren’t very effective in the situation described at low temperatures
Hands up, I read your advice about maggots but it didn’t register😂. Getting bites is always a priority for me. Once I get a few it gives me something to work with and confidence to try other things. Only other thing I would try is choppy but it’s starting to get expensive then.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hands up, I read your advice about maggots but it didn’t register😂. Getting bites is always a priority for me. Once I get a few it gives me something to work with and confidence to try other things. Only other thing I would try is choppy but it’s starting to get expensive then.
Worms really don’t work in the winter on a few venues I fish, in fact putting in chopped worm can kill a peg off. I’d stick with bread, caster, maggots and pinkies.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Aah pinkies - takes me back to freezing my bum off on the canal during matches where bloodworm was banned. Oh the joys :rolleyes:

baggy

Mark Saunders
If fishing for skimmers, bunches of squatts will nearly always get a few bites. I would normally bin the choppy line this time of year and replace with a squatt/groundbait line (usually milled expander).

smiffy

Site Supporter
If fishing for skimmers, bunches of squatts will nearly always get a few bites. I would normally bin the choppy line this time of year and replace with a squatt/groundbait line (usually milled expander).
Agree about squatts. Great winter bait for Bream of all sizes. Shame we can’t get them anymore locally. Surprised about worm though. On the waters I fish it’s a great bait/feed all year round. I tend to fish running water in Winter if I can though.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Agree about squatts. Great winter bait for Bream of all sizes. Shame we can’t get them anymore locally. Surprised about worm though. On the waters I fish it’s a great bait/feed all year round. I tend to fish running water in Winter if I can though.
Quite a few people use a lot of squatts at viaduct in the silvers league. I’ve also used them to qualify for the Silvermaniac final at Stafford Moor when it fished rock hard. Chop worm from the end of September until it warms up a bit in March is not worth using at either of the venues I’ve mentioned

Last edited: