Where to start on a match lake

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Currently my local lake is flooded so I’ve been looking at local day ticket venues.

One that popped up is Mousehole Lakes near Paddock Wood and after a bit of surfing I’ve worked out they have a match lake detailed as “ideal for beginners” with mixed species.

C212C9CD-A440-4029-8887-B5BCF91D9C3A.jpeg

Apparently it’s 13m max to the island and I will be attacking it with a pole in an attempt to master the basics.

I was wondering how seasoned pole anglers and match anglers approach such a venue - do you go full 13m from the off, start at top kit+2, go down the edge, pick a spot halfway across, etc ? ? ?

Will definitely fish a top+2 line just for my 5yr old as he can handle that easily

Karl

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
All venues are different, all depends on stocking levels, the shorter you can catch the better, if it has a high stocking rate it may be possible to catch in the edge all day, or just top kit and one section.
You have to be careful on narrow venues that the middle does not suffer from silt problems or you will see the fish bubbling away and not be able to catch them.
It could be you have to fish right up to the far bank all day if the fish are wary.
Start on top kit plus one section, and feed the edges for a little while and swap between the two, if things are very slow go to the far bank.

baggy

Mark Saunders
I would try to do more research, either on google or Facebook. As Chris said every venue is different, but near and far shelf would be a starting point

Nasha

I fished this peg between Xmas and new year
659BCE7C-0F07-4F7A-AD66-F196FA2F0E04.jpeg
Freezing cold and the fish were not having any of it, couldn’t buy a bite. Didn’t really see any movement either. Started off on the waggler 3/4 out towards the island, nothing, went close up to it but had issues with snags, lots of branches from the trees on the bottom.
Switched to a feeder then bomb out to my right where there was a bit more open water and not even so much as a liner. Until I started attaching a rig to the pole. Tip ripped round, common about 5-6lb.
That was the lot packed up about half two, was bitterly cold.
The positive was the bacon rolls they’ll deliver to you on the bank.
I’d definitely give it another try once travel allows though.
If it’s wet take boots. Quite muddy on that bank.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
This sounds very similar to the Wellingborough club snake lake at Ringstead - 13-14m wide with mixed stocking. The snake is 4 1/2-5ft deep. I detail my Winter pole approach in this blog post.

Having now re-read what I have written I realise I have made one mistake I need to correct and I need to add an update.

The mistake is that the float I talk about, BGT Grey, has a 1.2mm bristle, not 1.5.

The update is that I now take pinkies in Winter along with expanders (2 & 4mil), maggot & corn (skin). On Tuesday on the lake the only effective hookbait was pinkie. The fish were like blocks of ice. Water temperature was 4 degrees, the lake having been frozen the day before. Two weeks before with the water above 5 degrees I caught almost exclusively on 4mil expander.

Tuesday I had two roach in the first three and a half hours but ended with 20 fish including six bream/skimmers to 4lb.

You will see from the blog that I target the "track" line, this is in order to maximise my chances of catching anything that swims, I am not targeting the carp though they may be a bonus at some point during the day.

And feeding, you may have to feed only 10 micros or a few maggots/pinkies so start negatively on at least one spot and add bait as the fish react. A lot will depend on how much the venue is (match) fished. I find that on the club snake I can feed more because it gets fished and thus fed less than a commercial that is regularly match fished. Are the fish hungry or not?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
This time of year I’d start by dobbing bread across, I’d start fishing 2ft 6in, in 3ft of water... see what’s happening, start in front and work out each side.. If I catch on this line, I would look at starting some maggot lines in that depth, just tapping in a few maggots and waiting for a response.. If neither of those were working, I would start a couple of maggot lines down the track , maybe on one, tap in a bit of crushed expander ..the fish will be in one of those depths, you just have to find them ...

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
This sounds very similar to the Wellingborough club snake lake at Ringstead - 13-14m wide with mixed stocking. The snake is 4 1/2-5ft deep. I detail my Winter pole approach in this blog post.

Having now re-read what I have written I realise I have made one mistake I need to correct and I need to add an update.

The mistake is that the float I talk about, BGT Grey, has a 1.2mm bristle, not 1.5.

The update is that I now take pinkies in Winter along with expanders (2 & 4mil), maggot & corn (skin). On Tuesday on the lake the only effective hookbait was pinkie. The fish were like blocks of ice. Water temperature was 4 degrees, the lake having been frozen the day before. Two weeks before with the water above 5 degrees I caught almost exclusively on 4mil expander.

Tuesday I had two roach in the first three and a half hours but ended with 20 fish including six bream/skimmers to 4lb.

You will see from the blog that I target the "track" line, this is in order to maximise my chances of catching anything that swims, I am not targeting the carp though they may be a bonus at some point during the day.

And feeding, you may have to feed only 10 micros or a few maggots/pinkies so start negatively on at least one spot and add bait as the fish react. A lot will depend on how much the venue is (match) fished. I find that on the club snake I can feed more because it gets fished and thus fed less than a commercial that is regularly match fished. Are the fish hungry or not?
I can’t see why you’re happy just sitting biteless for 3 1/2 hours, when you could try other things , such as dobbing bread across, or fishing maggots across, sometimes that middle line is the one to finish on 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

R0B

Sausage? Egg?

Yeah, maybe kick off with bacon roll at around the 0830 mark, then go for sausage and egg sandwich for 1100-1130, not too late and certainly before the stomach starts to grumble and you lose the swim.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I fished this peg between Xmas and new year
659BCE7C-0F07-4F7A-AD66-F196FA2F0E04.jpeg
Freezing cold and the fish were not having any of it, couldn’t buy a bite. Didn’t really see any movement either. Started off on the waggler 3/4 out towards the island, nothing, went close up to it but had issues with snags, lots of branches from the trees on the bottom.
Switched to a feeder then bomb out to my right where there was a bit more open water and not even so much as a liner. Until I started attaching a rig to the pole. Tip ripped round, common about 5-6lb.
That was the lot packed up about half two, was bitterly cold.
The positive was the bacon rolls they’ll deliver to you on the bank.
I’d definitely give it another try once travel allows though.
If it’s wet take boots. Quite muddy on that bank.

That is brilliant, thanks for the info (y)

OldTaff

Site Supporter

Thanks Neil, informative as always, really appreciate it

OldTaff

Site Supporter
This time of year I’d start by dobbing bread across, I’d start fishing 2ft 6in, in 3ft of water... see what’s happening, start in front and work out each side.. If I catch on this line, I would look at starting some maggot lines in that depth, just tapping in a few maggots and waiting for a response.. If neither of those were working, I would start a couple of maggot lines down the track , maybe on one, tap in a bit of crushed expander ..the fish will be in one of those depths, you just have to find them ...

Many thanks - will YouTube dobbing later (y)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Many thanks - will YouTube dobbing later (y)
It’s easy enough mate, something like a malman dusty , 4 x 10 carbon stemmed float , with a nice 1.5 mm visible bristle , shot under float apart from 2 x 12 down the line , 16 hook, 4 or 6 mm punch bread , a long lash above float , about 3 ft .then you can move the float up and down to explore different depths , hold pole well up, bites are straight under, virtually unmissable....basically just lay the rig out, when it settles , leave it for a minute, then repeat, moving a few inches down the peg until you get bites , I usually start off 6” off the deck in 3ft... but if you’ve got any reeds right across, it’s worth fishing up close to them , providing, it’s more than 18” deep

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
It’s easy enough mate, something like a malman dusty , 4 x 10 carbon stemmed float , with a nice 1.5 mm visible bristle , shot under float apart from 2 x 12 down the line , 16 hook, 4 or 6 mm punch bread , a long lash above float , about 3 ft .then you can move the float up and down to explore different depths , hold pole well up, bites are straight under, virtually unmissable....basically just lay the rig out, when it settles , leave it for a minute, then repeat, moving a few inches down the peg until you get bites , I usually start off 6” off the deck in 3ft... but if you’ve got any reeds right across, it’s worth fishing up close to them , providing, it’s more than 18” deep
ooow reeds, I do love a reed bank or two, so do the roachies !

I get a tad excited over lilly pads too !

and FFS dont get me started over undercut banks !

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
@Neil ofthe nene , this taken from your winter fishing blog, “keep it simple” makes absolutely no sense at all 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ 4E9B14B2-AB22-4B5B-ADD1-3AD8C0D7C7A3.jpeg . All fed different as well🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️The most confusing load of garbled nonsense I’ve ever read 😂