Where to fish "Ireland Style" - in England?

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Waiting list for chelmarsh? Blimey. I was down years ago when there was a fish kill. Surprised it has come back so much that you are on a list.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Waiting list for chelmarsh? Blimey. I was down years ago when there was a fish kill. Surprised it has come back so much that you are on a list.

Not sure what the fishing is like there but Kinver Freeliners are notorious for the waiting list. I'm just thankful they do Severn Day Tickets at Hampton Loade but I don't think they do at Chelmarsh (or Dudmaston which is another place I want to fish).

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I caught a few bream but it was not worth missingvthe severn for...unless the severn is on your doorstep so to speak

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I caught a few bream but it was not worth missingvthe severn for...unless the severn is on your doorstep so to speak

Patshull Park is the place I go Bream fishing in the meantime, but it's nothing like Ireland, slows down in winter too, but it's on my doorstep as well as the Severn.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter

You are a lucky man my friend. But then I have a tench and crucian ouddle in walking distance, a mixed fishery 10 mins away and a syndicate bream water 15 mins the other way but not river. The nearest is the Ancholme...enough said

Zerkalo

Site Supporter

You are a lucky man my friend. But then I have a tench and crucian ouddle in walking distance, a mixed fishery 10 mins away and a syndicate bream water 15 mins the other way but not river. The nearest is the Ancholme...enough said

We're both lucky by the sounds of it. It's the best thing about living round here, I did not settle in here until I got back into fishing. Preferred 'the city' until I did.

Llandegfedd in Wales. I certainly see plenty of people out fishing for Bream when I'm trout fishing there.

Also one of my club waters, Dol-y-gaer in Wales. Obviously both places aren't open to fish at the moment. Here's a vid of Des Shipp fishing there, give you an idea of what the place is like. Hope the helps.

corkycat

Brilliant thanks. I did consider Llandegfedd because it featured in one of Matt Hayes' programmes a few years back. In fact I've just read the lake Centre's website and it actually describes the venue as "Irish style as opposed to Welsh style".

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Are the broads and the connecting rivers worth considering? Fairly big waters with lots of roach and bream.

squimp

Site Supporter
Bough Beech, Kent. Alton water in Suffolk, Ardleigh In Essex.

All medium sizes reservoirs that hold decent bream and roach.

A longer shot would be Weir Wood in Sussex - but that might be a syndicate ? Allegedly fantastic fishing.

rudd

Site Supporter
I ask this question because I am working on the assumption that I will be unable to go on my annual trips to Ireland (south or north) until at least 2022. (I do hope I'm wrong). I am not a match angler nor a carp angler, preferring the Ireland-style methods which I fear I am going to have to forego in the near future. So what I am looking for is locations in England similar to those in Ireland; you know the type of thing I mean: wild, wide open waters, long distance feeder chucks, heavy pre-baiting over a few days, with bream, roach and hybrids the target. I do know of one such location; Esthwaite Water in Cumbria, which is very similar to any of the lakes in County Cavan. Any other suggestions anyone? Distance is no object. Thanks
Alton Water - Suffolk (@Godber thats Suffolk ?)

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Ulley res in south yorks, 81 lb won last weekends open match, 39, 32, were 2nd/3rd with lots of good back up weights, big bream water if you are prepared to put time in, monday to friday empty banks.

Bury angler

I ask this question because I am working on the assumption that I will be unable to go on my annual trips to Ireland (south or north) until at least 2022. (I do hope I'm wrong). I am not a match angler nor a carp angler, preferring the Ireland-style methods which I fear I am going to have to forego in the near future. So what I am looking for is locations in England similar to those in Ireland; you know the type of thing I mean: wild, wide open waters, long distance feeder chucks, heavy pre-baiting over a few days, with bream, roach and hybrids the target. I do know of one such location; Esthwaite Water in Cumbria, which is very similar to any of the lakes in County Cavan. Any other suggestions anyone? Distance is no object. Thanks
Nice to hear someone talking about proper fishing and not the over stocked, shallow and paved puddles that are the vogue. Got to be some cracking ressies out there left alone with untouched fish in them. Good luck