Where to fish "Ireland Style" - in England?

corkycat

I ask this question because I am working on the assumption that I will be unable to go on my annual trips to Ireland (south or north) until at least 2022. (I do hope I'm wrong). I am not a match angler nor a carp angler, preferring the Ireland-style methods which I fear I am going to have to forego in the near future. So what I am looking for is locations in England similar to those in Ireland; you know the type of thing I mean: wild, wide open waters, long distance feeder chucks, heavy pre-baiting over a few days, with bream, roach and hybrids the target. I do know of one such location; Esthwaite Water in Cumbria, which is very similar to any of the lakes in County Cavan. Any other suggestions anyone? Distance is no object. Thanks

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I would generally like to know myself too as I love this style of fishing. I have only fished the usual Bream venues, Edgbaston Reservoir if you can brave it, Chard Reservoir in Somerset a lot of people mentioned was like fishing Ireland, and my local venue is Patshull Park, but more your typical Bream fishing you'd find in England than anything like Ireland.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Why would it be a joke?

It's just that your post comes with the implication that these waters are somehow... rare? in England.
If you throw a dart at a map of England then there's a good chance that you'll hit the type of lake/mere/reservoir that you're looking for.

You mentioned Esthwaite Water for example, it's in the Lake District... there's more than a dozen just like it in that region alone.

Am I missing something?

corkycat

It's just that your post comes with the implication that these waters are somehow... rare? in England.
If you throw a dart at a map of England then there's a good chance that you'll hit the type of lake/mere/reservoir that you're looking for.

You mentioned Esthwaite Water for example, it's in the Lake District... there's more than a dozen just like it in that region alone.

Am I missing something?

I didn't imply anything of the sort, and it certainly isn't a joke. I thought this forum was for people like me to tap into the greater knowledge and experience of other anglers; not to be belittled by someone who "knows it all". If there are more than dozen bream waters in the Lake District, then tell me where they are; don't just assume everyone should be as clever and aloof as you are.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
I didn't imply anything of the sort, and it certainly isn't a joke. I thought this forum was for people like me to tap into the greater knowledge and experience of other anglers; not to be belittled by someone who "knows it all". If there are more than dozen bream waters in the Lake District, then tell me where they are; don't just assume everyone should be as clever and aloof as you are.

Sorry but you’ve taken my posts as rude/combative and that wasn’t the intention.

Mentioning that you’re not into Match or Carp, and then saying you’re after a type of water commonly fished in Ireland, then saying you know of “one”
...did imply to me that you were under the impression that England is full of Match and Carp waters, and vast open stillwaters are somehow uncommon?

With that being so obviously far from the reality - I didn’t know whether you were being serious or not.

Last edited:

Freesolo82

There is Tamar which looks great fishing. I would look to see where the top feeder boys are fishing on social media.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Semerwater would be my choice too

If (and it's a fairly big if) the bream get established in Lockwood Beck reservoir on the North York moors then that would also tick all the right boxes. Currently it's predominantly roach and perch but the natural stocks have been supplemented by skimmers, tench, crucians and rudd. Not seen a sign of the latter three but did get a couple of small skimmers in 2019 - unfortunately Northumbrian Water who own the place have it currently closed for maintenance work which probably means the cormorants will be having a good munch again :cry:

Simon

Last edited:

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Loch Ken in Dumfries is the current choice for many, they have a socially distanced festival this week but having to travel alone and accommodation are the main issues to be overcome.
Many of the best North West tip anglers honed their skills on the likes of Carr Mill in St Helens Foulridge res Rudyard lake or winsford flash which might be the best bet although there are many others

Last edited:

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Can you still fish Chelmarsh res near Bridgnorth? That was similar to what you are after but not been for many a year

IanG1

Site Supporter
Staunton Harold could also fit the kind of fishing your looking for?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I’m obviously getting old, because “Irish style” to me means 8 or 9m pole to hand with 10g floats!!