Where to fish in Cambridge (stillwaters)

ev4dawin

There are no barbel in the lower Ouse...is is very different to the upper river.

it is mostly very slowly paced and deep with extensive lily pads.
Oh ok, have you ever fished this section of the river? What is the name of this part of the Ouse as well?

Flathead

Site Supporter
Yes I have fished it...No idea what it is called?

try googling fishing on the Ely Ouse....there have been articles written about it

ev4dawin

Yes I have fished it...No idea what it is called?

try googling fishing on the Ely Ouse....there have been articles written about it
What did you catch when you fished there? I need to learn to set up a paternoster rig for cage fishing.

Flathead

Site Supporter
What did you catch when you fished there? I need to learn to set up a paternoster rig for cage fishing.
The species I have mentioned.

you don’t need any fancy rigs....just a free running feeder will do fine.

ev4dawin

The species I have mentioned.

you don’t need any fancy rigs....just a free running feeder will do fine.
Ahhh alright. Did you say that this stretch of the Ouse is free fishing? I need to look into it a bit more.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Yes...it is free from the road bridge near the station all the way down to the second railway bridge at the end of riverside park

ev4dawin

Yes...it is free from the road bridge near the station all the way down to the second railway bridge at the end of riverside park
Ok, I need to look on google maps to find it then. Do you know where the area is on google maps? I’ll have a look for it now

ev4dawin

Is it this section here? The dots in white are the borders to where I can fish? Is this the right area? Or can I go further to the right past the white dot on the right?

Attachments

• 82BD09D1-82DE-431E-89BF-13FA381D9E3C.jpeg
    82BD09D1-82DE-431E-89BF-13FA381D9E3C.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 3

Flathead

Site Supporter
That looks right.....the fishing is on the city side....you need to find a spot among the moored boats....the park is usually ok...the boats do not put the fish off, in fact, they use them for shelter.

if you want less people about then the meadow downstream of the railway bridge is much quieter....it is Cooper’s AC and they sell day and season tickets on the bank...a season is only £10. You can park in the small car park near the railway bridge.

ev4dawin

That looks right.....the fishing is on the city side....you need to find a spot among the moored boats....the park is usually ok...the boats do not put the fish off, in fact, they use them for shelter.

if you want less people about then the meadow downstream of the railway bridge is much quieter....it is Cooper’s AC and they sell day and season tickets on the bank...a season is only £10. You can park in the small car park near the railway bridge.
Ok let me have a look where your talking about. By AC, is that where you can get the season ticket or is it like a spot for fishing

Flathead

Site Supporter
AC simply means angling club....the bailiff will sell tickets on the bank. If you intend to fish more than once then a season ticket will be worth it.

ev4dawin

C452542A-FF05-45B6-87E9-AD0AE19FE9BC.jpeg Is this the right area. I changed it to satellite mode so it’s easier see. Is this better to see?

Flathead

Site Supporter
one of your marks seems to be upstream of the bridge....the free fishing is downstream and Coopers downstream of that after you walk through the town stretch...if you stand on the road fbridge it is the left bank as you look down the river towards the city and the riverside pubs. Coopers is on the same same side.

Coopers have a sign on the gate at the start of their fishery just after you walk under the railway bridge.

your best bet is to take a walk from the station bridge downstream...you will probably see one or two people fishing

Flathead

Site Supporter
Looking at your map....the river flows downstream following the same direction as Queen Adelaide way away from the main road.....heading in a northerly direction

ev4dawin

So the stretch that I can fish is either side of the bridge that I put in my previous post?

Flathead

Site Supporter
No.....the free stretch is the bit that runs in front of the riverside pubs and parks. The bit on the other side of the road bridge is Saffron Walden AC on one bank and I do not who has the other but it may be free now.

go to the Cutter Inn and the free fishing in on that bank and downstream to the railway bridge....to the the right and left of you as you stand outside the Cutter facing the river.....you have already highlighted it on your first map

ev4dawin

No.....the free stretch is the bit that runs in front of the riverside pubs and parks. The bit on the other side of the road bridge is Saffron Walden AC on one bank and I do not who has the other but it may be free now.

go to the Cutter Inn and the free fishing in on that bank and downstream to the railway bridge....to the the right and left of you as you stand outside the Cutter facing the river.....you have already highlighted it on your first map
So past the Cutter Inn and to the bridge where the railroad goes over is the free fishing?

Flathead

Site Supporter
From the road bridge , down past the cutter and to the next railway bridge is all free. It is downstream from the road bridge.....the river flows in a northerly direction....it is known as ‘riverside’

not sure I can make it any clearer unless this is wind up.

ev4dawin

From the road bridge , down past the cutter and to the next railway bridge is all free. It is downstream from the road bridge.....the river flows in a northerly direction....it is known as ‘riverside’

not sure I can make it any clearer unless this is wind up.
No I'm not winding you up, I'm not like that. I'll stop asking now. If I annoyed you at all by the constant question asking I'm sorry. Thank you for your help it was appreciative and informative.