Where to fish in Cambridge (stillwaters)

ev4dawin

Hi all, hope you are well. My grandparents live up in Cambridge (Ely) and I'm thinking of visiting them in the summer holidays. Now the question is where should I fish? I don't want to fish any rivers as my tackle in terms of rods is very limited. I have already been to Frasers Fishery, and a place with 3 waters 2 called Magpie and Atkins. Anyone know of any other places? Cheers :)

Flathead

Site Supporter
Why not try fishing the Ouse in Ely?

it is free fishing all through the centre and the ‘Cooper’s field’ just downstream in only £10 a year.

any tackle suitable for lakes will be OK on the river....all you need is a feeder rod and a float rod and, maybe a pole but that is not necessary.

Hemp and tares or wheat will catch you roach all day long on the Ely Ouse on the float, or bream on the feeder With maggot or worm.

there is generally very little flow so it is not that much different to a stillwater.

There are also several small rivers and drains nearby which are also well worth fishing and either free or very cheap

ev4dawin

Why not try fishing the Ouse in Ely?

it is free fishing all through the centre and the ‘Cooper’s field’ just downstream in only £10 a year.

any tackle suitable for lakes will be OK on the river....all you need is a feeder rod and a float rod and, maybe a pole but that is not necessary.

Hemp and tares or wheat will catch you roach all day long on the Ely Ouse on the float, or bream on the feeder With maggot or worm.

there is generally very little flow so it is not that much different to a stillwater.

There are also several small rivers and drains nearby which are also well worth fishing and either free or very cheap
What is the usual catch in the Ouse. I will have to look into it as it sounds a good place.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Mostly roach, bream, Rudd and Perch but also a good chance of Tench. The area is alao known for Zander and Pike but not really for summer fishing.

in the summer most anglers target the huge roach shoals with hemp and either tares or wheat.....it is not unusual to get 20 lbs. plus catches wheny you get them going

there are also massive bream shoals but not so easy to find.......but there are plenty of skimmers everywhere.

there are a lot of carp around but you need to find them first.

give it a go....as I say it is free all through the centre but there can be a lot of boats.

there are miles of other rivers and drains within a short distance.....all similar but can be a bit weedier than the Ouse in the summer as less boat traffic......the boats do not put the fish off.

ev4dawin

Mostly roach, bream, Rudd and Perch but also a good chance of Tench. The area is alao known for Zander and Pike but not really for summer fishing.

in the summer most anglers target the huge roach shoals with hemp and either tares or wheat.....it is not unusual to get 20 lbs. plus catches wheny you get them going

there are also massive bream shoals but not so easy to find.......but there are plenty of skimmers everywhere.

there are a lot of carp around but you need to find them first.

give it a go....as I say it is free all through the centre but there can be a lot of boats.

there are miles of other rivers and drains within a short distance.....all similar but can be a bit weedier than the Ouse in the summer as less boat traffic......the boats do not put the fish off.
I will give it a go! I'm just not entirely sure about where in the centre I can fish. Is there any spots that you know of?

Flathead

Site Supporter
You can fish anywhere from the road bridge near The station down to the second railway bridge. Basically anywhere through the centre of Ely. Below the Railway bridge belongs to Cooper’s AC and season or day tickets on the bank (about £10 a season)....this is a much quieter stretch. Downstream is Ely Beet AC but they are no longer selling day tickets and you need to join the social club to get a ticket.

From Littleport downstream is all day ticket on the bank(if you see a bailiff)....all the way down to Denver sluice.

nearby is the Cam, the old West, the old bedford, the hundred foot river, the delph, the Lark, the Old Nene, the middle level, Relief channel, cut off channel, tweny foot river, sixteen foot, forty foot...all mostly day ticket.....I have probably missed a few off the list as there are so many!

the Nene through March is all free as is the all of the Well creek.

you really have miles and miles of river to try and it is all either very cheap or free....but you really do not have to go far from Ely to find enough fishing to last a lifetime.

the banks are mostly flat and easily accessible. Parking nearby is pretty easy and you may just have to climb over the floodbank to find the river......there are hundreds of pegs where you can park a few yards from your peg.

ev4dawin

nearby is the Cam, the old West, the old bedford, the hundred foot river, the delph, the Lark, the Old Nene, the middle level, Relief channel, cut off channel, tweny foot river, sixteen foot, forty foot...all mostly day ticket.....I have probably missed a few off the list as there are so many.
I’m assuming that these are all spots on the river? Have you ever fished any of these spots? I’ll look into them now.

Flathead

Site Supporter
I’m assuming that these are all spots on the river? Have you ever fished any of these spots? I’ll look into them now.
No....these are all different rivers.....there really are hundreds of miles of rivers and drains....and not many anglers....Ely Is the ‘capital of the fens’.

i have fished many of these venues as I am local....I tend not to fish stillwaters that are accessible on day ticket.

Roswell pit in Ely is one of the most famous waters in the area (once home fo Zander record) but that is Ely Beet water and not accessible by day ticket.

the are a few day ticket still waters but I am not really familiar with them

ev4dawin

No....these are all different rivers.....there really are hundreds of miles of rivers and drains....and not many anglers....Ely Is the ‘capital of the fens’.

i have fished many of these venues as I am local....I tend not to fish stillwaters that are accessible on day ticket.

Roswell pit in Ely is one of the most famous waters in the area (once home fo Zander record) but that is Ely Beet water and not accessible by day ticket.

the are a few day ticket still waters but I am not really familiar with them
What venues do you tend to fish? I’ll look into them a bit more and try to find some decent spots.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Ok...your best bet would be the Littleport water. You can park on the road verge and climb over the flood bank. You can get a day ticket on the bank and it is stuffed with roach in summer. The banks are flat and you just need to fish over the lily pads to catch plenty or fish a feeder towards the middle.

another would be the centre of Ely wherever you can find a space among the boats....it is mainly a concrete bank and gets busy with tourists and people in the riverside pubs. Parking is less easy.....it gets stuffed with fish though, especially in the winter.....and is free fishing

the Cooper‘s field below the city is easy to access from the car park and has flatbanks.....these would be good places to start.

not far away is the famous ‘Ten mile Bank’ on the Ouse where you can often park next to your peg.....there should be enough there to start.....just look on a OS map and you will see it all

ev4dawin

Ok...your best bet would be the Littleport water. You can park on the road verge and climb over the flood bank. You can get a day ticket on the bank and it is stuffed with roach in summer. The banks are flat and you just need to fish over the lily pads to catch plenty or fish a feeder towards the middle.

another would be the centre of Ely wherever you can find a space among the boats....it is mainly a concrete bank and gets busy with tourists and people in the riverside pubs. Parking is less easy.....it gets stuffed with fish though, especially in the winter.....and is free fishing

the Cooper‘s field below the city is easy to access from the car park and has flatbanks.....these would be good places to start.

not far away is the famous ‘Ten mile Bank’ on the Ouse where you can often park next to your peg.....there should be enough there to start.....just look on a OS map and you will see it all
The centre of Ely is the riverside where the bridge goes over the river right? There’s also an island right? And a train track just behind the river

ev4dawin

Is it this area here?? I know where your talking about if it is the right place.

Attachments

• C14447B3-F333-490D-9EBB-518A7C97CABA.png
    C14447B3-F333-490D-9EBB-518A7C97CABA.png
    526 KB · Views: 7

ev4dawin

What fish are in the area i screenshotted above? I'm assuming carp,bream,tench,roach,perch, gudgeon and things.

ev4dawin

I also meant to ask what that particular stretch is called. What is it called? I’ll have a look at it later today or on my walk.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Have you ever fished there? I’m most likely going to try a float setup there but am also thinking of feeder as well. Should I go with cage or method feeder?
An ordinary cage feeder is fine....nothing to be gained from a method feeder.

the usual species all present: mostly roach, skimmers, bream, perch, rudd and Tench....also many pike and zander although zander are not as common as they used to be but seem to be making a bit of a comeback.

ev4dawin

An ordinary cage feeder is fine....nothing to be gained from a method feeder.

the usual species all present: mostly roach, skimmers, bream, perch, rudd and Tench....also many pike and zander although zander are not as common as they used to be but seem to be making a bit of a comeback.
I was expecting to see barbel on that list. Do they get eaten by the bigger pike and zander or do they just not live in this stretch?

Flathead

Site Supporter
There are no barbel in the lower Ouse...is is very different to the upper river.

it is mostly very slowly paced and deep with extensive lily pads.